Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times

Advertisements

this is pretty nuts!

Schwarzenegger signs budget, makes major cuts to programs - San Bernardino County Sun

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed off on revisions to the 2009-10 budget Tuesday, but he drew the anger of Democratic lawmakers by making last-minute cuts to programs they fought to protect.

Schwarzenegger made $489 million in cuts to the budget revision package passed by the Assembly and Senate last week. Most of those cuts, made in the form of vetoes to parts of the package, were from health and human services programs, including In-Home Support Services and AIDS prevention.

Assemblyman Anthony Adams, R-Claremont, said most of the cuts were necessary, but he said he'll have a hard time swallowing the cut to domestic violence shelters. Schwarzenegger's $16.3 million cut eliminates all state funding for the programs.

"Many (shelters) will not be able to be supported without that funding," Adams said. "That $16 million supported almost 105,000 people in the state - people who will have nowhere to go other than the emergency room. That's not a good answer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
CA is broke. Beyond broke. Deal with it.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM

ok. why don't you volunteer to go to a hospital in ca and say that to women who come in after having been raped/beaten by their husbands?

"deal with it, lady".

Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
They can get support locally and from other nonprofits and from donations, they dont need the state. In fact big places receiving huge amounts of money from the state, that sounds like the opposite of how women's shelters should be.

They dont even really need cash, much.

One hundred five thousand people passing through all the shelters in that huge state over the course of a year, that's a surprisingly low figure.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
ok. why don't you volunteer to go to a hospital in ca and say that to women who come in after having been raped/beaten by their husbands?

"deal with it, lady".
I didn't say it was a good thing. What would you take out of the budget to cope?

Can't raise taxes as they're already way too high and more people would leave, reducing revenues.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM

i haven't read the california state budget but i'm sure there's something that could go before 100% of support for women's shelters.

most foundations these days have frozen grants, and soliciting funds from them is a full-time job. and donations are drying up too. that's one of the first things people cut back on in a bad economy. i know, i work at a nonprofit, a very small and efficient one that may not exist for much longer.

and why exactly shouldn't women's shelters get money from the state? what makes you think the places are big, or that they receive "huge" amounts of money? $16 million for programs that support over 100,000 people is not exactly tossing money around.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i haven't read the california state budget but i'm sure there's something that could go before 100% of support for women's shelters.

most foundations these days have frozen grants, and soliciting funds from them is a full-time job. and donations are drying up too. that's one of the first things people cut back on in a bad economy. i know, i work at a nonprofit, a very small and efficient one that may not exist for much longer.

and why exactly shouldn't women's shelters get money from the state? what makes you think the places are big, or that they receive "huge" amounts of money? $16 million for programs that support over 100,000 people is not exactly tossing money around.
Im sorry, I misspoke about huge amounts or big places and apologize. Of course women's shelters should get all the money they can from wherever they can. But if the 100,000 are clients of the shelters, they're only there at the most a few weeks, they have deadlines as to how long they can stay. That's 100,000 rotating through over the course of a year. But small, resourceful shelters can operate pretty well (meaning they wouldnt be forced to close) on virtually no money from the state.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:15 PM

less than $160 per person to stay somewhere for a few weeks (and receive counseling and usually assistance starting out on their own) is a pretty good deal.

and when a few weeks is a matter of managing to get away from an abusive spouse or not, it's pretty important.

i guess whether shelters will be able to survive on their own is a matter of speculation. as someone who works for a nonprofit, i know that things are extraordinarily hard right now in this sector. if we suddenly lost a large part of our funding (we don't get anything from the government except for the occasional grant that we apply for, this is just hypothetical), we'd be done. we wouldn't have the resources to do the work to get money from somewhere else. that wasn't true a couple of years ago, but with so many foundations freezing grants, the hit our investment fund took, and donations drying up, things are really tough.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
obo

916 posts, read 986,342 times
get used to things like this happening all over the country. As the USA goes into bankruptcy, more and more services will go by the wayside too.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Typical that the cut would come from something that benefits women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies