Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It's the docs out playing golf at the country club on Thursday afternoon while the lawyers work.

Interesting article in the Washington Post today about all the shenanigans doctors pull. Want to be sure you get a CT scan for whatever aliment you have? Go to a doc who owns his own CT scanner.
washingtonpost.com
Wow..a laywer questioning a doctor's ethic. I thought I would never see the day. This is like Hitler questioning the Pope.

Yeah, that makes sense because lawyers don't play golf in the afternoons. And we know hospitals close in the afternoons, on the weekends and during hollidays just like the courts...oh wait they don't. Ruth Chris, Mortons, Flemings and every other elite steak house in America would go out of business if the lawyers in America didn't spend 2 hours for lunch there everyday. Maybe when you get up at 3 AM to see a client or even work on a Saturday for that matter, you can tell me that it's not okay to take an afternoon off to play a round of golf once in a while.

And do we really need to delve in crooked lawyer shenanigans. I don't even have to provide a URL, there are movies devoted to the subject which proves the idea that it's well accepted among our culture that lawyers are shady. Forget the movies, just turn on the TV and watch the personal injury commericals. The last I checked, I didn't see tons of commercials with doctors pandering for people's business. Don't even go there!

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-31-2009 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Wow..a laywer questioning a doctor's ethic. I thought I would never see the day. This is like Hitler questioning the Pope.

Hyperbole much?

Yeah, that makes sense because hospitals close in the afternoons, the weekends and hollidays just like the courts...oh wait they don't. You must have doctors mistaken with lawyers. Ruth Chris, Mortons, Flemings and every other elite steak house in America would go out of business if the lawyers in America didn't spend 2 hours for lunch there everyday. Maybe when you get up at 3 AM to see a client or on the weekend for that matter, you can tell me that it's not okay to take an afternoon off to play a round of golf once in a while.

That is utter crap. Even if it were true, how would you know unless you were there?

And do we really need to delve in crooked lawyer shenanigans. I don't even have to provide a URL, there are movies devoted to the subject which proves the idea that it's well accepted among our culture that lawyers are shady. Forget the movies, just turn on the TV and watch the personal injury commericals. The last I checked, I didn't see tons of commercials with doctors pandering for people's business. Don't even go there!
So if you've seen it on Matlock, it must be true? Give me a freakin' break. Have you seen the movie The Verdict? By your logic, that proves that doctors kill people and cover it up. I'm beginning to wonder if you're really a doctor. One, you have a lot of time to post and two, your conclusions are not based in reality.
As for the original question of why $83,000 would not entice a lawyer, a lawyer might spend 2 or 3 years on a case, investigating, taking depositions, filing and responding to motions, etc. During all that time, s/he's paying office staff and overhead. Some cases then settle and others s/he loses. While there are some very rich plaintiffs' firms, the majority are run by people just trying to make a living. They're not going to take a chance on a case if the most they can make will not pay them for the time it takes to get it ready for trial.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
How can anyone defend lawyers getting a third of damages for personal injury suits? Doesn't this simply encourage lawyers to sue? Isn't this akin to the risky gambling of Wall Streeters Barney Frank just voted to cap? my guess is he won't be rushing in to cap lawyer fees!

Clearly people without significant potential damages cannot get their day in court. How perverted is that?

Also isn't taking a third gouging? Don't we hear that insurance companies are gouging people because they make a 3% profit?

This is an upside down world where people defend lawyers and criticize physicians. (No I am not a physician)

Old 07-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
How can anyone defend lawyers getting a third of damages for personal injury sutes? Doesn't this simply encourage lawyers to sue? Isn't this akin to the risky gambling of Wall Streeters Barney Frank just voted to cap? my guess is he won't be rushing in to cap lawyer fees!

Clearly people without significant potential damages cannot get their day in court. How perverted is that?

Also isn't taking a third gouging? Don't we hear that insurance companies are gouging people because they make a 3% profit?

This is an upside down world where people defend lawyers and criticize physicians. (No I am not a physician)
To be honest, I'm not all that opposed to tort reform. I just take issue with the attitude that doctors are people of God and lawyers are the Devil's disciples.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
To be honest, I'm not all that opposed to tort reform. I just take issue with the attitude that doctors are people of God and lawyers are the Devil's disciples.
I work with physicians and have a family full of lawyers, my experience tells me physicians are a lot more altruistic than lawyers.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 PM

That is utter crap. Even if it were true, how would you know unless you were there?

You are denying this? Most prominent restaurants will admit that attorneys make up the majority of their lunch time clientele.

So if you've seen it on Matlock, it must be true? Give me a freakin' break. Have you seen the movie The Verdict? By your logic, that proves that doctors kill people and cover it up. I'm beginning to wonder if you're really a doctor. One, you have a lot of time to post and two, your conclusions
are not based in reality.

Do you really want to compare the number of movies and television shows depicting lawyers in a negative light versus physicians? The point is the public perception of lawyers isn't positive hence the reason popular culture demonizes them. Are you really saying there is no truth to that and Hollywood is just fabricating that. In addition to clinical medicine, I'm involved with bench research which requires a lot of waiting. Furthermore, I could ask the same of you. Are you really a lawyer since you spend so much time here?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

You are denying this? Most prominent restaurants will admit that attorneys make up the majority of their lunch time clientele.

So if you've seen it on Matlock, it must be true? Give me a freakin' break. Have you seen the movie The Verdict? By your logic, that proves that doctors kill people and cover it up. I'm beginning to wonder if you're really a doctor. One, you have a lot of time to post and two, your conclusions
are not based in reality.

Do you really want to compare the number of movies and television shows depicting lawyers in a negative light versus physicians? The point is the public perception of lawyers isn't positive hence the reason popular culture demonizes them. Are you really saying there is no truth to that and Hollywood is just fabricating that. In addition to clinical medicine, I'm involved with bench research which requires a lot of waiting. Furthermore, I could ask the same of you. Are you really a lawyer since you spend so much time here?
"Most prominent restaurants," eh? Link? I've noticed you're in short supply of those.

I'd rather compare the number of movies showing the earth being attacked by Martians. I'm sure there are more, so it must be true that Martians are an imminent threat.

Where have I said I'm a lawyer? Is that another one of your unfact-based conclusions?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
As for the original question of why $83,000 would not entice a lawyer, a lawyer might spend 2 or 3 years on a case, investigating, taking depositions, filing and responding to motions, etc. During all that time, s/he's paying office staff and overhead. Some cases then settle and others s/he loses. While there are some very rich plaintiffs' firms, the majority are run by people just trying to make a living. They're not going to take a chance on a case if the most they can make will not pay them for the time it takes to get it ready for trial.
I'm assuming the are working on more than one case at a time. Also, doesn't this fee exclude expenses as Stan pointed out. And as I pointed out, the majority of their cases (80-92%) are settled out of court and don't go to trial so these firms are earning money outside of these cases. Obviously, you are failing to mention these facts in order to soften the idea that most attorneys won't take a case for $83,000

Old 07-31-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
"Most prominent restaurants," eh? Link? I've noticed you're in short supply of those.

I'd rather compare the number of movies showing the earth being attacked by Martians. I'm sure there are more, so it must be true that Martians are an imminent threat.

Where have I said I'm a lawyer? Is that another one of your unfact-based conclusions?
I like how you are asking for links for aspects that are well known in popular culture.

And your analogy is pretty weak. You wan't to compare Martians (fictional characters who have not been proven to exist) with lawyers.

Are you denying you are a lawyer?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm assuming the are working on more than one case at a time. Also, doesn't this fee exclude expenses as Stan pointed out. And as I pointed out, the majority of their cases (80-92%) are settled out of court and don't go to trial so these firms are earning money outside of these cases. Obviously, you are failing to mention these facts in order to soften the idea that most attorneys won't take a case for $83,000
The damages cap refers to punitive damages. I'm not sure about the expenses. But for sure if if s/he loses, that's just an unrecoverable expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies