Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I am not opposed to the primary concept and that is to make health insurance more affordable so that more people can VOLUNTARILY get insurance IF THEY WANT IT.
The problem is GD that there are millions of hardworking people that CANT AFFORD IT.
A good site to get the true facts is www.pleasecutthecrap.com (http://www.pleasecutthecrap.com - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I gave a couple of Medicare cuts in post #58 or 59 .
Thank you Old Cold. I hadn't heard about the cancer care cuts. Pretty ironic, we're told we need reform because people are going bankrupt paying for cancer treatments, so we pay for the insurance by cutting cancer treatments

Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Doesn't the adminstration realize that this very lack of information is what is feeding the distortions of the plan? There is so much unknown that lies and distortions are filling the vacuum created by lack of specifics.

Not sure why the Administration expects people to just trust them. Would you agree to a mortgage with no crucial information on the loan like interest rate, term, closing costs etc?
You got it!
Here is some more about start up funds

" IN GENERAL.--In order to provide for the establishment of the public health insurance option there is hereby appropriated to the Secretary, out of any funds in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $2,000,000,000. In order to provide for initial claims reserves before the collection of premiums, there is hereby appropriated to the Secretary, out of any funds in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, such sums as necessary to cover 90 days worth of claims reserves based on projected enrollment."

Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,822 times
TM--Thank-you for responding.

Didn't know Tricare was Military.

Pg. 436---elections?

Will check here later in the weekend--off to work.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Doesn't the adminstration realize that this very lack of information is what is feeding the distortions of the plan? There is so much unknown that lies and distortions are filling the vacuum created by lack of specifics.

Not sure why the Administration expects people to just trust them. Would you agree to a mortgage with no crucial information on the loan like interest rate, term, closing costs etc?

You know.. it's not to say that the bill is perfect.

But then if the language..or lack there of of certain specifics is the problem.. then attack that.. address that..

But DONT make up LIES about the rest of ... Like lying about the fact that the government is going to kill granny or that the goverment is going to dictate which plan you can and can not have and so on and so forth.

Perhaps if the TRUE issues at hand were actually DISCUSSED and addressed rather than waisting time defeating the bill with lies, we'd actually get those 'kinks' worked out. Instead energy has to be spent combating ridiculous untruths.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
The problem is GD that there are millions of hardworking people that CANT AFFORD IT.
BUT - there are FAR MORE than can afford health insurance.

The issue is - striking a balance. And frankly, the entire system does not have to be changed in order to help those who have financial difficulties in affording health insurance.

First off - keep in mind that of those without health insurance - a large quantity are in this country illegally. I don't know about you but, I'm not paying for an illegal immigrants health insurance.

Then there is the group who just don't want insurance. It is not for me to say they should - it is THEIR DECISION.

So, let's try this as an example of what MIGHT be done to help - Keep in mind - I'm not saying this will happen - I'm not saying this is in any legislative form. It is simply my suggestion:

Say there are 20,000,000 (20 million) people who don't have insurance and they want insurance and they cannot afford insurance.

What if the Government gave each one a grant of say, $5,000 a year - and with that grant, this group could then go out and purchase the health insurance of their choice. The cost on this would be 12 Billion Dollars a year. A lot of money to be sure. BUT, far less than the multi TRILLION Dollars it would cost (conservatively) with the current Government "option" bill.

Think about it.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
You know.. it's not to say that the bill is perfect.

But then if the language..or lack there of of certain specifics is the problem.. then attack that.. address that..

But DONT make up LIES about the rest of ... Like lying about the fact that the government is going to kill granny or that the goverment is going to dictate which plan you can and can not have and so on and so forth.

Perhaps if the TRUE issues at hand were actually DISCUSSED and addressed rather than waisting time defeating the bill with lies, we'd actually get those 'kinks' worked out. Instead energy has to be spent combating ridiculous untruths.
TM,
The main problem is that the bill wasn't ready to be released yet. Obama was in such a rush to get this out for the town hall meeetings and to "educate" us unlearned masses that they passed something that is lacking the information one needs to make an educated decision if the plan is good or not.

BTW I've said it many times, but the Administration itself is distorting the choice an employee will have regarding which plan you can get. You will have to follow what your employer says. There will be no choice. If they go private you are forced private and vice versa.

NO ONE can accurately gauge the worthiness of this plan via the information contained in this bill. It shouldn't have been released until more specific information was determined,and that fault lies completely in the hands of the Adminstration.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
A good site to get the true facts is www.pleasecutthecrap.com (http://www.pleasecutthecrap.com - broken link)
but you also HAVE to ADMIT that a good percentage of those that "cant afford it" choose not to, and still buy i-phones etc....I was one of them way back when I was in my 20's..."never go to the doctor, why should I spend $50 a week for an insurance that I never will use"...now in my 40's with a wife and kids, I need insurance....and for the most part IT IS AFFORDABLE.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
TM--Thank-you for responding.

Didn't know Tricare was Military.

Pg. 436---elections?

Will check here later in the weekend--off to work.

Thanks

Your welcome. I didn't know what Tricare was either and then I looked it up. then the whole Dept of Defense thing made sense. NOt exactly sure what it means by "elections" , however. Perhaps it has to do with how or when this new or amended policies are in place?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
TM - again, thank you for all your efforts here.

Now, let me share with you what is turning out to be THE MAIN CONCERN with Americans about these pieces of legislation.

These proposals are some of the most extensive and complex changes ever done in the Congress. They will impact literally every man, woman and child in this country. These proposals will literally impact the life or death of Americans.

If you can agree with the above - then you might understand the concerns by a MAJORITY of Americans - why is the Congress and this Administration PUSHING / RUSHING this legislation.

There are a lot of questions to be answered - we need them answered BEFORE the bill passes. There ARE a lot of 'Tweaks" that need to be done - DO THEM before the bill passes.

The fact the Democrats and this President are pushing to pass this bill - so quickly - is making the American people - of all political bents, very suspicious - "what are they trying to hide"?

This legislation needs to be discussed - openly - which it is not being done - in all 50 states and all the territories. It needs to be discussed in each state legislature as much of the implementation will be left to the states - in currently unfunded mandates.

So, I will ask this question: "What are they trying to hide"? Why the rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies