Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 07:30 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times

Advertisements

The government is at the federal level allowed to enact laws and a system of healthcare for the general welfare. The problem of the syst is not only ocurring on patches on state and local levels but on one that must be addressed uniformly on a national level. Why do you think MA had a problem with their otherwise good reform? Because it couldn't address the true problems that are on a larger than local scale.

To the person who says if we had charity and gave to charity we wouldn't have these problems. You are being delusional completely. And that response is laughable. Oh and the private sector had plent of tome to fix the problems and come up with solution since 94 and they haven't done Jack ****! The problem is worse and they have no incentive too.

Another thing to remember is that when this countrywas formed the next state over might as well have been clear across the Atlantic. Thy is why the states and thongsthay ocurred within th were so ondependant of the rest of the country. The world is much smaller and a lot of things? Like healthcare, are affected on a national scale not just state levels.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And we should fix it. WE should fix it. Not government. Start by walking out your door and giving money/volunteering in your town. If everyone started doing that, we wouldn't have problems. Stop asking someone else to solve things for you.
Give money, give your time......to the insurance companies and pharmaceuticals that are overcharging America for healthcare. What a fabulous idea. Not only will we let you bankrupt our nation, we'll support you as you do it.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:42 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
Quote:
And we should fix it. WE should fix it. Not government. Start by walking out your door and giving money/volunteering in your town. If everyone started doing that, we wouldn't have problems. Stop asking someone else to solve things for you.
Riiight.....

Have you seen the wage growth in this country?
Have you looked at the unemployment rate?
Have you looked at the average amount of credit card debt?

If I help someone else, wouldn't they be asking me to solve something for them? If I give money to help someone with their medical bills, wouldn't they be asking someone else for help?

Single-payer is the way to go.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Give money, give your time......to the insurance companies and pharmaceuticals that are overcharging America for healthcare. What a fabulous idea. Not only will we let you bankrupt our nation, we'll support you as you do it.
So you are saying having a government that is trillions of dollars in debt be in charge of health care is a good idea? Really? At least a private corporation can fail and something new can start up. We are stuck with the government, no matter how inefficient and bloated it becomes. Sorry, but our government cannot afford to start up any more programs. If insurance companies are overcharging then newer companies will start up and put them out of business. That is very basic economics. If our government would stop propping up failing industries we could actually be on the road to recovery, but instead a bloated, debt ridden organization (the US government) is throwing money at other failing, bloated organizations (banks, auto industry, now health care). Let them fail. I am not saying it won't be tough for a while (it absolutely will be), however making room for new companies is the only way to see real change.

The last thing I want is to replace a dependance on insurance companies which at least have a chance of reform with a dependance on government in which there is no hope for positive change.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Riiight.....

Have you seen the wage growth in this country?
Have you looked at the unemployment rate?
Have you looked at the average amount of credit card debt?

If I help someone else, wouldn't they be asking me to solve something for them? If I give money to help someone with their medical bills, wouldn't they be asking someone else for help?

Single-payer is the way to go.
I am not saying health care isn't a problem, it absolutely is. It is just a moral problem, not a legal one. I am not against relying on others for help, I am against relying on government. I wish people would stop being so da*n selfish and help others. I live in an apartment with two other people that is so crappy that we actually have to run an extension cord from the living room to one of the bedrooms because running lights/etc in all three bedrooms at once blows the circuit. I also give a lot of money to people who need it every month. It pisses me off to no end when I see people paying money for nice houses, nice cars, to go out twice a week and then have the audacity to say they need governmental help for lower health care costs. I think people need to stop being so selfish and take steps to help themselves and help those around them. Does that make any sense?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
So you are saying having a government that is trillions of dollars in debt be in charge of health care is a good idea? Really? At least a private corporation can fail and something new can start up. We are stuck with the government, no matter how inefficient and bloated it becomes. Sorry, but our government cannot afford to start up any more programs. If insurance companies are overcharging then newer companies will start up and put them out of business. That is very basic economics. If our government would stop propping up failing industries we could actually be on the road to recovery, but instead a bloated, debt ridden organization (the US government) is throwing money at other failing, bloated organizations (banks, auto industry, now health care). Let them fail. I am not saying it won't be tough for a while (it absolutely will be), however making room for new companies is the only way to see real change.

The last thing I want is to replace a dependance on insurance companies which at least have a chance of reform with a dependance on government in which there is no hope for positive change.
The insurance companies have had control of the system for quite some time and the system still sucks.
Most insurance companies have a monopoly in the state they operate so it's not so easy to start up a health insurance company as you think.

A lot of new health insurance companies end up failing....

Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I am not saying health care isn't a problem, it absolutely is. It is just a moral problem, not a legal one. I am not against relying on others for help, I am against relying on government. I wish people would stop being so da*n selfish and help others. I live in an apartment with two other people that is so crappy that we actually have to run an extension cord from the living room to one of the bedrooms because running lights/etc in all three bedrooms at once blows the circuit. I also give a lot of money to people who need it every month. It pisses me off to no end when I see people paying money for nice houses, nice cars, to go out twice a week and then have the audacity to say they need governmental help for lower health care costs. I think people need to stop being so selfish and take steps to help themselves and help those around them. Does that make any sense?
Wouldn't single payer be a great way we can all help each other?

I know plenty of people who aren't living "the good life" and would love single payer.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:

I'm not advocating single-payer, so no, I'm not saying that government should be in charge of health care. I think a public option would be a good thing because it introduces the best competitor possible to reining in insurance premium costs. You should go back to your economics texts about new companies coming in and putting insurance companies out of business. The amount of regulation, the differences between states, the legal restrictions on insurance companies, the legal entitlements that are given to insurance companies is a complex system that is designed to promote longevity in the insurance market. Insurance companies have tremendous longevity because stability in the insurance market is a keystone to financial stability in economic markets. It's not a free market where someone can come along and put the old companies out of business.

As for your argument that we have at least a chance of reform with the insurance companies, when we have no chance with the government. What a bunch of hooey! The insurance companies are private companies, and they fight reform tooth and nail. Just read the paper about how much money, how many dollars taken from individuals in the form of insurance premiums, are not spent to pay healthcare bills, but are spent to lobby legislators to keep things exactly the way they are. We have multiple chances to change government. Every two years, we change our government to some degree in elections. The problem with the government isn't in its ability to reform. The problem with the government is in systematic denial of accountability that leads to bureaucratic growth. And yes, that's a problem, particulary in programs like healthcare. But it's a public problem that can be addressed much more readily than the public can address problems in the private companies that make up the insurance industry.

And yes, the public debt is alarming. But if the insurance industry can make billions of dollars of profit insuring people, why can't the public option break even? The public option isn't free. It will charge insurance premiums. It's the new insurance company you are advocating, but because it's publicly owned rather than privately, you join with the insurance companies to fight it tooth and nail.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not advocating single-payer, so no, I'm not saying that government should be in charge of health care. I think a public option would be a good thing because it introduces the best competitor possible to reining in insurance premium costs. You should go back to your economics texts about new companies coming in and putting insurance companies out of business. The amount of regulation, the differences between states, the legal restrictions on insurance companies, the legal entitlements that are given to insurance companies is a complex system that is designed to promote longevity in the insurance market. Insurance companies have tremendous longevity because stability in the insurance market is a keystone to financial stability in economic markets. It's not a free market where someone can come along and put the old companies out of business.

As for your argument that we have at least a chance of reform with the insurance companies, when we have no chance with the government. What a bunch of hooey! The insurance companies are private companies, and they fight reform tooth and nail. Just read the paper about how much money, how many dollars taken from individuals in the form of insurance premiums, are not spent to pay healthcare bills, but are spent to lobby legislators to keep things exactly the way they are. We have multiple chances to change government. Every two years, we change our government to some degree in elections. The problem with the government isn't in its ability to reform. The problem with the government is in systematic denial of accountability that leads to bureaucratic growth. And yes, that's a problem, particulary in programs like healthcare. But it's a public problem that can be addressed much more readily than the public can address problems in the private companies that make up the insurance industry.

And yes, the public debt is alarming. But if the insurance industry can make billions of dollars of profit insuring people, why can't the public option break even? The public option isn't free. It will charge insurance premiums. It's the new insurance company you are advocating, but because it's publicly owned rather than privately, you join with the insurance companies to fight it tooth and nail.
I personally worry about the public option.
I think insurance companies will still cherry pick the healthiest individuals and the public option will take the sickest and will end up losing money.

Conservatives will point to it and say, "See the government can't do anything right! We told you the public option was a bad idea."

http://www.healthcare-now.org/docs/spreport.pdf

http://njoneplan.files.wordpress.com...nd_facts-1.pdf

Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I personally worry about the public option.
I think insurance companies will still cherry pick the healthiest individuals and the public option will take the sickest and will end up losing money.

Conservatives will point to it and say, "See the government can't do anything right! We told you the public option was a bad idea."

http://www.healthcare-now.org/docs/spreport.pdf

http://njoneplan.files.wordpress.com...nd_facts-1.pdf
I understand your concerns, but isn't that why this legislation actually contains provisions prohibiting insurance companies from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions or withdrawing coverage when someone is diagnosed with a long-term expensive condition. Insurance companies cherry-pick now, one of the reasons for the proposed reform is to at least make it harder for insurance companies to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies