Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- It's Not An Option

Quote:
When we first saw the paragraph Tuesday, just after the 1,018-page document was released, we thought we surely must be misreading it. So we sought help from the House Ways and Means Committee.

It turns out we were right: The provision would indeed outlaw individual private coverage. Under the Orwellian header of "Protecting The Choice To Keep Current Coverage," the "Limitation On New Enrollment" section of the bill clearly states:

"Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day" of the year the legislation becomes law.

So we can all keep our coverage, just as promised — with, of course, exceptions: Those who currently have private individual coverage won't be able to change it. Nor will those who leave a company to work for themselves be free to buy individual plans from private carriers.
Surprise! You can, as Obama promised, keep your current coverage — as long as it remains available. However, if your employer stops offering health-care benefits, or if you buy it privately and your insurer cancels your plan, you can’t just pick up another private plan. Enrollments will be closed as of the first day the bill becomes law.

The ultimate goal of obama and the liberals is to get rid of private providers.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 07-16-2009 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: combined threads, changed title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I don't thnik there i9s any doubt about his and other wanting universal health care coverage. But rememebr that the bills can be canged later as people discover that it isn't free or that the wealthy will pay. the txa payers and the consumer will pay for any governamnt provided subsidty that is given by fees;taces and rise in consumer goods in the end.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:48 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Obviously OP did not follow her own instructions to "Read the passage in the bill".

Read the entire passage on page 16 of the bill. That is simply how they will define "Grandfathered Coverage". That does not mean that you cannot pick up new private coverage. Any plans meeting the requirement for "Grandfathered Coverage" (which is why you cannot have anyone sign up to that plan after Day 1) will not be required to adhere to new regulations for 5 years. Private health care plans that people sign up for AFTER day 1 will have to adhere to the new regulations.

I was able to determine that after 5 minutes of reading. Too bad no one else bothered to actually read it.

Edit:
Here is the link. Go to page 16 and you will see where it clearly states that passage is defining Grandfathered Coverage.

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/...CA09001xml.pdf

Last edited by newtoli; 07-16-2009 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: link

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I was able to determine that after 5 minutes of reading. Too bad no one else bothered to actually read it.
Why would they need to read it? All they wanted to do was create FUD.

Jeez, you're so demanding.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Obviously OP did not follow her own instructions to "Read the passage in the bill".

Read the entire passage on page 16 of the bill. That is simply how they will define "Grandfathered Coverage". That does not mean that you cannot pick up new private coverage. Any plans meeting the requirement for "Grandfathered Coverage" (which is why you cannot have anyone sign up to that plan after Day 1) will not be required to adhere to new regulations for 5 years. Private health care plans that people sign up for AFTER day 1 will have to adhere to the new regulations.

Edit:
Here is the link. Go to page 16 and you will see where it clearly states that passage is defining Grandfathered Coverage.

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/...CA09001xml.pdf

Old 07-16-2009, 10:40 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't thnik there i9s any doubt about his and other wanting universal health care coverage. But rememebr that the bills can be canged later as people discover that it isn't free or that the wealthy will pay. the txa payers and the consumer will pay for any governamnt provided subsidty that is given by fees;taces and rise in consumer goods in the end.
It is very difficult to undo any govt program once it becomes one. Turning the wheels in reverse just doesn't work.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 AM

527 posts, read 1,281,756 times
Thumbs down Health Care Bill Will Fund State Vaccine Teams to Conduct ‘Interventions’ in Private Homes

Quote:
(CNSNews.com) - There is a knock at the front door. Peeking through the window, a mother sees a man and a woman, both in uniform. They are agents of health-care reform.

“Excuse me, ma’am,” says the man. “Our records show that your eleven-year-old daughter has not been immunized for genital warts.”

“And your four-year-old still needs the chicken-pox vaccine,” says the woman.

“He will not be allowed to start kindergarten unless he gets that shot, you know,” says the man—smiling from ear to ear.

“So, can we please come in?” asks the woman. “We have the vaccines right here,” she says, lifting up a black medical bag. “We can give your kids the shots right now.”

“We are from the government,” says the man, “and we’re here to help.”

Is this a scene from the over-heated imagination of an addlepated conspiracy theorist? Or is it something akin to what is actually envisioned by the health-care reform bill approved this week by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension Committee.
CNSNews.com - Health Care Bill Will Fund State Vaccine Teams to Conduct ‘Interventions’ in Private Homes (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=51115 - broken link)

Wow.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 AM

Read the actual bill. This is tinfoil material.

You can have people receive immunizations at home. whoopdedoo.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM

527 posts, read 1,281,756 times
What makes you think that people won't start coming to homes? When they come to your house and knock on you door, I'd like to see you then say that it's 'tinfoil material'. Keep sticking your head in the sand, zombie.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
What makes you think that people won't start coming to homes? When they come to your house and knock on you door, I'd like to see you then say that it's 'tinfoil material'. Keep sticking your head in the sand, zombie.
What makes you think that they WILL? People have been saying that forever, has it happened? No. Does the bill prove it will happen? No. I don't "stick my head in the sand" and I'm not a "zombie". I simply read the facts and figure it out myself rather than repeating the dramatized version of what is posted on a website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies