Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
So, are banks now supposed to be charities? If you overdraw your account, you're going to get zapped. It's how they make money.
Bounce the check...except of course there are no fees to collect this way.

Interesting how people here defend the banksters who were in such dire straits due to their own poor business practices that they had to take the peoples tax dollars now turning around and sticking it to the people yet again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I can't find it at the moment, but there was an article in the past 2 weeks about debit cards.
It used to be that they would let you know that you didn't have enough money for your purchase and you had the choice to go ahead.
Now they don't tell you that it will be an overdraft and charge $35 for each transaction, even if you're a penny over.
Why did they change the reporting?
To make more money....from charging you fees.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
It is not a bank's fault if you make a mistake with your money.

Keep a budget and know how much money you have. If you take out more than you have, you have noone to blame but yourself.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Keep a budget and know how much money you have. If you take out more than you have, you have noone to blame but yourself.
If they automatically give you $$ without your consent, then charge you $30-$35 at that time, they are also culpable.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
I've had them. It was my fault. I cant complain about the fees.

One time, though, I was quite pissed at what they did. I was in college (obviously didnt have a lot of money). Usually if I knew I was getting my paycheck the next day I took out the last $20 or $40 or whatever I had in my account (food, gas, etc). I did that one time and left a balance of like $1.20 or something. It was just gonna be overnight until I got my check the next day. Well it just so happened that Wachovia decided to take out a "service charge" for my checking account. The service charge was like $2.50 or something so when they took it out it overdrafted my account to which they then charged me $35 for the overdraft which they caused.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Would the same reasoning apply to the banks?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If they automatically give you $$ without your consent, then charge you $30-$35 at that time, they are also culpable.
What do you mean with this?

I don't understand what you mean in this scenario.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
I've had them. It was my fault. I cant complain about the fees.

One time, though, I was quite pissed at what they did. I was in college (obviously didnt have a lot of money). Usually if I knew I was getting my paycheck the next day I took out the last $20 or $40 or whatever I had in my account (food, gas, etc). I did that one time and left a balance of like $1.20 or something. It was just gonna be overnight until I got my check the next day. Well it just so happened that Wachovia decided to take out a "service charge" for my checking account. The service charge was like $2.50 or something so when they took it out it overdrafted my account to which they then charged me $35 for the overdraft which they caused.
Do you really think this was coincidental?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
The fees are your fault (in almost every case). What are they supposed to do? Just let you off with a smile and a pat on the bottom?

If both I and people I know have been able to get through life without ever overdrawing, other people can do it, too.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The fees are your fault (in almost every case). What are they supposed to do? Just let you off with a smile and a pat on the bottom?
Bounce the check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies