Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

They do bounce the check and that creates work for them...guess what? You know that fee's coming. It's not some big surprise hidden secret fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They do bounce the check and that creates work for them...guess what? You know that fee's coming. It's not some big surprise hidden secret fee.
If the banksters simply do not honor the check they earn no fee....what some of you have failed to grasp is the bank wants you to incur fees,it is how it makes money.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Ok. Get rid of bank fees. Watch your interest rates decline and watch service fees for everything else go back up.

At least this way, I can follow the rules, and I bank absolutely FREE.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Do you really think this was coincidental?
No. But they did have the right...it was just an F'd up time for them to do it.

I mean...I knew I was charged a fee every month. It was just never on the same day. It pissed me off b/c I was just a broke ass college student.

I soon switched to BoA...not much better. Bout to go over to BB&T. Never really heard anyone that had problems with them.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ok. Get rid of bank fees. Watch your interest rates decline and watch service fees for everything else go back up.

At least this way, I can follow the rules, and I bank absolutely FREE.
LOL....the interest rate is LESS than inflation.

You are in essence losing money by keeping it in a bank 'earning' interest.
Also the bank has no risk UNLESS it chooses to honor the overdrawn account...the bank already knows you do not have the funds,why not simply not allow the payment to be processed???

Oh, thats right,because they do not earn any money doing that.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:18 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The tough economic times has worked out quite nicely for them....

FT.com / Companies / Banks - Banks make $38bn from overdraft fees
Seems like there are a lot of people who don't know how to balance their checking accounts to me.

Would be no different if we charged taxi cab drivers a $25 fine every time they dropped us off two blocks before our destination. If you cannot fulfill your end of the agreement, you pay the agreed upon fee.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What do you mean with this?

I don't understand what you mean in this scenario.
I explained it upthread, but since you apparently didn't read it...
Banks changed their notification methods; in the past, if you were going to be negative in your balance if you spent X, they gave you an option to cancel the transaction.
They no longer notify you.
So for a penny, you can be charged $35 because of their changed notifications.

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...overdraft.html

Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Seems like there are a lot of people who don't know how to balance their checking accounts to me.

Would be no different if we charged taxi cab drivers a $25 fine every time they dropped us off two blocks before our destination. If you cannot fulfill your end of the agreement, you pay the agreed upon fee.
Why doesn't the bank simply not honor the transaction in question?

Could it be because they make billions of dollars charging fees?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I explained it upthread, but since you apparently didn't read it...
Banks changed their notification methods; in the past, if you were going to be negative in your balance if you spent X, they gave you an option to cancel the transaction.
They no longer notify you.
So for a penny, you can be charged $35 because of their changed notifications.

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...overdraft.html
I've bounced one check in my life, and it was back in 1977. The bank gave me no option about cancelling the transaction, and I was charged a fee for the bounced check.

Frankly, I have no problem with the whole overdraft fee issue. If you are old enough to run a checking account, you are responsible to assure you have sufficient funds to cover the check. With all of the tracking tools now available, nobody has any excuses for writing a check with insufficient funds in their accounts.

I'm no fan of banks, and have had a couple of bad experiences with them myself over the years. But I have no problem with this issue.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
You might want to read the article in the thread that I linked to.

I've never had a bad check myself, but gouging is not the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies