Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
“Washington has buried my family in debt,” yelled one audience member in a typical question.
Huh? What is this woman screaming? It doesn't make a bit of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
They did it to Bush..I think it is called freedom of speech,,

Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Who cares. How many liberals wished for Bush' death even to the point of making a movie about it.
You really are as sick as I thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Doesn't suprise me. The conservatives are praying for his death.
Yes and that is disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Honestly, I don't pray for much of anything unless I'm in church on Sundays, but last night, I found myself honestly praying to keep Obama safe from these nutbags.

And while yes, the left and many of the right hated Bush, it was rare (if at all) to see people spewing such venom and hatred. The left just isn't as violent as the right, sorry it's a fact. We have no interest in offing people who disagree with us. We will call you names, but wishing death on someone is very "unChristian like" and "un-leftist".
Yep. In fact some of these people are right here on the forum! And I agree. The left has never done anything like this. For example, calling for Bush's death. It is kind of like how at the McCain/Palin rallies, they were shouting "Hang him"! And Obama was not even PRESIDENT then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Yep, the secret service is going to be busy with these wackaloons.

I'm starting to think some psych meds need to be introduced into the water supply.
Sweet. I am going for psychology. I will be needing a job soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How could they? Bush's people arrested them if they dared show up wearing anti-Bush t-shirts or Kerry-Edwards buttons.
Imagine the outrage if Obama EVER did something like this. Disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We disagreed with Bush but I honestly do not recall anybody I hang around wishing Bush would die or wishing his wife or daughters illness. But I hear this about Obama and his family ALL the friggin time! I never- nor do I now wish any illness or death upon the Bush family. I think a few of them should be in jail but that is another matter. When the champion of cons, Ronald Reagan was shot by John Hinckley, I bowed my head and prayed for him and for the country he lead. While I hated his ideas I did not wish him ill.
Exactly. I hate Republican ideals and mindset but if anyone was hurt, I would be sad. Someone I care for dearly is a Republican and I wish him well all the time.

I do not think I ever heard bad about the Bush daughters either.

Shame on you the conservatives. Shame. Your stupidity knows no end.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I wonder how many of those 250,000 were members of Congress. I'm sure Conyers wasn't one.
It would actually be none of them. Since Congressional members are provided with hard copies of pending legislation.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It would actually be none of them. Since Congressional members are provided with hard copies of pending legislation.
Good point. How many read that?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
They did it to Bush..I think it is called freedom of speech,,
There is a distinction between freedom of speech and terroristic speech which I think you are missing. As amused as you seem to be by that sign, you should respect that when threats like this are put on signs they do embolden people of similar sentiments, not just to also become more public in their threats, but to actually carry out such threats.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Good point. How many read that?
I suspect that for most of the Congressmen who probably have boxes and boxes full of such pending legislation, that some will peruse the major pieces of legislation, but the bulk of such legislation is read by aides in the office who highlight the most prominent parts of the legislation (you wouldn't highlight the sections that say what parts of previous legislation are being replaced by new legal code, for instance), and then provide the legislators with summaries.

When confronted at town hall meetings by people who are referencing specific sections and paragraphs of the bill, it seems painfully obvious that the Congressman doesn't know the legislation backwards and forwards. But there are always many bills floating around Congress at any given time, and the summary approach has been an efficient way to handle the load.

I do think that we've reached a point where this has become an issue. Setting limits on the size of proposed legislation, and eliminating completely tack-on legislation would be good moves, imo.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
At the entrance to the college, one man stood with a small, handwritten cardboard sign that read, “Death To Obama.”

TheHill.com - Sen. Cardin hears an earful on healthcare
Happily I read that entire article to get at the sign you reported about.

Now let me ask you if you are the parent of a small child or children. I wonder how many people at that meeting were in that situation in life. I will bet that none of them had read the part of this abortion of a bill that contained what this article is about. Well, how would they be knowing about this thing since it is talked about on about page 824. Read this article, find proof that it is about a lie and let me know if you don't accept what is said. If you have kids you will get the hell scared out of you.

Dirty Secret No. 1 in Obamacare - HUMAN EVENTS

Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Happily I read that entire article to get at the sign you reported about.

Now let me ask you if you are the parent of a small child or children. I wonder how many people at that meeting were in that situation in life. I will bet that none of them had read the part of this abortion of a bill that contained what this article is about. Well, how would they be knowing about this thing since it is talked about on about page 824. Read this article, find proof that it is about a lie and let me know if you don't accept what is said. If you have kids you will get the hell scared out of you.

Dirty Secret No. 1 in Obamacare - HUMAN EVENTS
I don't accept what it says. Chuck Norris is not qualified to interpret the law for me. That particular section is not about policing parents, it's about helping parents, particularly inexperienced ones, to be better parents. A first-time mother who has difficulty breast-feeding (which is very common), might want to get some advice about that. A first-time father may be discouraged that his son isn't walking yet, and might appreciate an evaluation that gives the father the tools to determine if his child is falling behind on developmental milestones and if the variation in development is alarming or within normal parameters. A mother suffering from post-partum may make a call for help. So, no, I don't accept dirty secret #1, and nor should you.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
I suspect that for most of the Congressmen who probably have boxes and boxes full of such pending legislation, that some will peruse the major pieces of legislation, but the bulk of such legislation is read by aides in the office who highlight the most prominent parts of the legislation (you wouldn't highlight the sections that say what parts of previous legislation are being replaced by new legal code, for instance), and then provide the legislators with summaries.
I'm sure that's the case, and in some cases, it might be sufficient. Given that this is a bill that will overhaul at large chunk of the economy and the healthcare system for Americans, I'm not satisfied with that.

Quote:
When confronted at town hall meetings by people who are referencing specific sections and paragraphs of the bill, it seems painfully obvious that the Congressman doesn't know the legislation backwards and forwards. But there are always many bills floating around Congress at any given time, and the summary approach has been an efficient way to handle the load..
Agreed. Again, with the significance of this one and the division in the country, I think it's irresponsible to not know it very well and misguided to think it's not crucial that you know it. This applies to those on the left and right

Quote:
I do think that we've reached a point where this has become an issue. Setting limits on the size of proposed legislation, and eliminating completely tack-on legislation would be good moves, imo.

I completely agree. As I said, IMO I think they need to know the proposed legislation particularly on something of this magnitude. In their defense, it would be very hard to know all of the legislation that get passed to them. There is no reason for them not to be able to make it more manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies