Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:15 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I guess you didn't read the article.
You couldn't be further from the truth. I read and posted. Why do you think I posted? I guess what it boils down to is what do you perceive as a threat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I think there will be primaries if they vote for it. Talk about the no win scenario for many of these democrats. They vote for it, they lose office. They vote against it, they have their party turn on them.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I used to not like Howard Dean back in 03, but the guy is starting to look considerably better.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:34 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think there will be primaries if they vote for it. Talk about the no win scenario for many of these democrats. They vote for it, they lose office. They vote against it, they have their party turn on them.
Agreed. Dean might as well reveal his strategy as trying to get this bill passed at any and all consequences because he's apparently willing to throw out a Democratic Congress after 2010 for the passage.

Blue dog dems have identified themselves as such because they're from districts that traditionally support Republican candidates, but suffered from Bush's low popularity in the last few elections. So if the DNC can scrape up candidates in districts already represented by a Dem to run in primaries against any Blue Dog Dems that don't support the bill and they win, all they've accomplished is they've decreased the Dems chances of retaining that seat in the general election.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If they vote for it and any of them lose office as a direct result, we will have judgeships and ambassador jobs for them. They will be rewarded for their political courage and service to the American people. This is too important an issue not to vote for it. I do not think it will cost them any seats but if it does, we will take care of them.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Agreed. Dean might as well reveal his strategy as trying to get this bill passed at any and all consequences because he's apparently willing to throw out a Democratic Congress after 2010 for the passage.

Blue dog dems have identified themselves as such because they're from districts that traditionally support Republican candidates, but suffered from Bush's low popularity in the last few elections. So if the DNC can scrape up candidates in districts already represented by a Dem to run in primaries against any Blue Dog Dems that don't support the bill and they win, all they've accomplished is they've decreased the Dems chances of retaining that seat in the general election.
Maybe but I do not think it will come to that. Even if not a single Republican votes yeah (I think there will be a few BTW). There are 233 Democrats in Congress. We need 218 votes which gives us 15 votes to give. There are about 52 blue dogs. So what Raum needs to do is use polling to find out which of the 15 blue dogs are in the most danger and tell them that they are free to vote "no". Then he needs to tell the other 32 that we need your vote here and you are in less danger than the 15. And he and Obama need to promise them federal judge jobs or ambassador jobs should they be defeated because of their vote on this bill. And they need to promise them all the money and campaign help as well as projects in their districts to try and make sure that they don't lose. On the other hand, we need to make it clear that they will face a primary challenge if they do not vote with this on this. It is the same as treason!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
The former Vermont governor added the caveat that he thought "cooler heads" would
ultimately prevail and that a government run option for insurance coverage would be passed.
But his remarks are some of the most threatening yet to be directed at Democrats from within the party.

Dean, who is a keynote speaker at the Netroots Nation conference at Pittsburgh this week,
said he was "in favor" of holding recalcitrant senators and congressman accountable on health care related issues.

Dean: "There Will Be Primaries" For Dems Who Vote Against Public Option
Dr. Dean would make one hell of a President, I'm very impressed with the level of intellect of all the Senators who come from the Granite State, those former and those presently. Bernie Sanders is perhaps the smartest Senator I've ever listened to

Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 PM

870 posts, read 1,627,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Maybe but I do not think it will come to that. Even if not a single Republican votes yeah (I think there will be a few BTW). There are 233 Democrats in Congress. We need 218 votes which gives us 15 votes to give. There are about 52 blue dogs. So what Raum needs to do is use polling to find out which of the 15 blue dogs are in the most danger and tell them that they are free to vote "no". Then he needs to tell the other 32 that we need your vote here and you are in less danger than the 15. And he and Obama need to promise them federal judge jobs or ambassador jobs should they be defeated because of their vote on this bill. And they need to promise them all the money and campaign help as well as projects in their districts to try and make sure that they don't lose. On the other hand, we need to make it clear that they will face a primary challenge if they do not vote with this on this. It is the same as treason!
you can't really be that #$^$#@$ can you? really?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
you can't really be that #$^$#@$ can you? really?
Oh yes. I can be that %&%^%*! You damn right! Politics is a game. There are winners and there are losers. If you want to lose, you play the game by the rules of your enemy. If you want to win, you play by your own rules. The Democrats have *****HOPEFULLY***** learned something at the feet of Bush and Tom DeLay. Destroy your enemies and reward your friends. And keep your base happy.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I wish there was a toilet handle located in the Capitol building so we could just flush all the scum in congress away and start over. As long as you vote Democrat or Republican, we lose. When will people realize that most of them could care less about this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies