Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We are no where near as divided as we were during the run up to the Civil War.

The reason why we were in that war was because an entire group of states were forcing another entire group of states to do something they wouldn't like. I know we have those "blue state/red state" maps, but we are considerably more intermingled than that.
Agreed, but no less divided. I think that was the point of the o.p.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:15 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Agreed, but no less divided. I think that was the point of the o.p.

H
My point is, that instead of "North vs South", Its Liberal vs Conservative, and I must say, Conservatives are comming out in droves far more than when Clinton was in office.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Nonsense the country was more divided in the 60's and the protests were much more violent than now.God;teh number of liberal urban terrorist groups back then was unbeliveable. Riots and portest at many colleges and many riots in detroit.chicago and watts that burn large sections of the towns down. The 68 democratic convention was on the news every night with lotting;burning and gun fire.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yep. During the Civil War era we did not listen to or swallow the bogus arguments about "states rights" (aka, "Lets keep our slaves!) and now we are not falling for their crap about death panels and rationed care and other lies.

And make no mistake, a lot of the opposition to the health care bill is as racially motivated now as was the civil war dialog. I have bigots in my family and circle of acquaintances that not only hate blacks, but argue that they don't want any of their tax dollars going to blacks, be it for health care or anything else. Be not fooled by the rhetoric of the opposition.
Wow - Mike - I can't believe you said this.

I am a Southerner and I find what you said very disturbing b/c it is simply untrue.

I am stunned you would somehow twist discussions about healthcare insurance into racism.

Surely you don't really think that folks would be in favor of - or opposed to - something as general as healthcare b/c of prejudice against black people? That is beyond absurd. Really.

So when the country was screaming in opposition to healthcare reform under Clinton, it was b/c of racism?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:17 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
It won't be on the level of the Civil War until someone decides to take first blood. When it begins to literally get violent, then all bets are off. Go for the gun hoarders first, they'll have the most ammo.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Do you have health insurance?
ELO conveniently ignored that one

Old 08-15-2009, 09:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
My point is, that instead of "North vs South", Its Liberal vs Conservative, and I must say, Conservatives are comming out in droves far more than when Clinton was in office.
I see, that is why you lost the last two elections, besides at least half of those that call themselves Conservatives are nothing of the sort.
Casper

Old 08-15-2009, 09:27 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
It won't be on the level of the Civil War until someone decides to take first blood. When it begins to literally get violent, then all bets are off. Go for the gun hoarders first, they'll have the most ammo.
Nope, the military will and they will not turn Traitor because a couple of nutcases prove to the world that they aren't all that bright.
Casper

Old 08-15-2009, 09:39 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Do you have health insurance?
No, I do not. Its wrong for the taxpayers to pay for my heathcare.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
...and yet the Democrats are completely unwiling to comprimise...or even listen to the citizens they were elected to represent.
Did you vote for them?
Too Bad, it's called Democracy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies