Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:26 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the Viet Nam War era was a very divisive time, probably worse than now.
The 60's was and era of rebellion against big government. The soldiers were spit on and the kids stood against their parents. The kids wanted the right to be who they wanted to be. They did not wish to follow the footprints of their parents. As before if Dad was a doctor the son was expected to be a doctor or a brick layer or whatever. The kids wanted the freedom to choose. They were willing to do anything they had to in order to get it.

In the end I think that's what we all want, freedom to choose.

However, today we are afraid of being labeled. Their is pier pressure in being labeled an extremist, or radical...we don't want that, but in the 60's they didn't worry so much about labels. They wanted their rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:21 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Let me ask you a few basic questions about the separations of power we have here in the US

Do you know the three branches of government?

Do you know what steps the President (this or any future) president would have to take to become a dictator?

(Please tell me which branches he would have to go through and get approval from and how many states have approved of Presidents Obama's dictatorship???)

What power does the Judicial Branch have over the executive branch?

What power does the legislative Branch have over the executive branch?

What is meant by the terms "checks and balances?"

Please answer these questions and then explain how these relate to your definition of fascism.

ELOrock517, guess you're not going to answer the above questions i have for you?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
ELOrock517, guess you're not going to answer the above questions i have for you?
Don't hold your breath waiting for the answer, ELO is not here to debat anything, meaning they do not answer questions or post facts to back up their accusations and predictions.
Casper

Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Let me ask you a few basic questions about the separations of power we have here in the US

Do you know the three branches of government?

Do you know what steps the President (this or any future) president would have to take to become a dictator?

(Please tell me which branches he would have to go through and get approval from and how many states have approved of Presidents Obama's dictatorship???)

What power does the Judicial Branch have over the executive branch?

What power does the legislative Branch have over the executive branch?

What is meant by the terms "checks and balances?"

Please answer these questions and then explain how these relate to your definition of fascism.
Yes--I am well aware of "checks and balances".
Congress can write a Bill, The President can veto it, Congress can then override the veto with a unanimous vote, and The Supreme court can override congress by declaring it unconstitutional. The only problem is, The Legislative branch is controlled by the Democrats, The President is a Democrat, and the Supreme court has 3 Liberals (2 of whom could be considered radical leftists).
So...2 1/2 out of 3 branches of the government are controlled by 1 party. Obama pretty much has a free hand to do whatever he wants..Who is going to stop him? Congress? The Supreme court?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:50 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow - Mike - I can't believe you said this.

I am a Southerner and I find what you said very disturbing b/c it is simply untrue.

I am stunned you would somehow twist discussions about healthcare insurance into racism.

Surely you don't really think that folks would be in favor of - or opposed to - something as general as healthcare b/c of prejudice against black people? That is beyond absurd. Really.

So when the country was screaming in opposition to healthcare reform under Clinton, it was b/c of racism?
He didn't say all of the opposition was racially motivated... I don't think you need to get very upset over this. There are obviously people who don't like Obama simply because he is black, and will oppose anything he does simply because he is black. To think that racists are logical enough to put that hate behind them and think rationally about health care reform is absurd, and you really should have thought about that before you made this post. Have you not seen the videos of people in the town hall meetings? Do you really think that much anger and rage comes from HEALTH CARE REFORM? No, its just blind hate.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Yes--I am well aware of "checks and balances".
Congress can write a Bill, The President can veto it, Congress can then override the veto with a unanimous vote, and The Supreme court can override congress by declaring it unconstitutional. The only problem is, The Legislative branch is controlled by the Democrats, The President is a Democrat, and the Supreme court has 3 Liberals (2 of whom could be considered radical leftists).
So...2 1/2 out of 3 branches of the government are controlled by 1 party. Obama pretty much has a free hand to do whatever he wants..Who is going to stop him? Congress? The Supreme court?
You almost got all of that right, I'm almost impressed. But why do you think Obama can do whatever he wants? Congress is the part you should be worrying about... Seeing as how they can pass whatever they want without Obama's approval.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:54 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

Gee. Or one could subvert any of the legal checks and balances, build a civilian army loyal only to him, and get the job done. Who said they wanted one of these civilian armies (better equipped than the US military) during the election? Likewise, one could avoid the legal channels in the US and encourage thugs (see Obama's union thugs) to physically intimidate and beat up forces of oppostion, whether they are citizens or members of the government. Lastly, you use the old Clinton tactic of using the IRS and the ATF as your shock troops when those pesky civil rights and laws get in the way of what you want to do.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Gee. Or one could subvert any of the legal checks and balances, build a civilian army loyal only to him, and get the job done. Who said they wanted one of these civilian armies (better equipped than the US military) during the election? Likewise, one could avoid the legal channels in the US and encourage thugs (see Obama's union thugs) to physically intimidate and beat up forces of oppostion, whether they are citizens or members of the government. Lastly, you use the old Clinton tactic of using the IRS and the ATF as your shock troops when those pesky civil rights and laws get in the way of what you want to do.
Man, it must suck to live in your world.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
...and yet the Democrats are completely unwiling to comprimise...or even listen to the citizens they were elected to represent.

NOT even close.

I guess you're too young to remember a little debacle called Vietnam?

BOTH parties exhibited deaf ears to the people.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Wow, i had no idea aspiring Hollywood movie directors were posting on City Data. Your paragraph above would make a great movie, but let's tone down your first action flick, with a little bit of reality. However, if this is a movie you're planning on writing i give it two thumbs up!!!

Dude, a movie like the one described above, would sell out fast, because there are so many teenagers and young adults like myself, that would pay to see it!!!

Okay, i just have to ask who are casting as Barrack Obama?

I think Sara Palin should play Obama's secret love interest, so who are going to get to play her role?

Seriously, this could be a great movie!!! I'm not joking about that at all!!

You need a good Movie title like

"The Government" (talking in weird deep voiced movie guy) out in theaters summer 2009 ...."just when you though it was safe to open your medicare check" scene ends with a medicare check blowing up

if you don't have this idea copy written i'm going to steal it and write the script and send it to hollywood or write the book etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies