Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,600,641 times

Advertisements

I am constantly amazed at the tactics folks will use to try to prove that we Southerners are all a bunch of ignorant, uneducated haters.

Unbelievable.

And what seems so strange to me is . . . it is constantly asserted on this forum that "all Republicans are rich" . . . along with "all Southerners are conservative racists" . . . and then . . . "all uneducated people are Conservatives" . . .

So would someone explain to me . . . if the South is composed of conservatives, that would mean we are the richest folks in the nation.

Plus the South has black/white population in every city/town . . . so if we are all racists, why do black folks stay here?

Crazy assertions . . . they don't even make sense to me. This is what happens when folks stereotype a whole population of people based on region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You know what's interesting - Deep South Texas is the poorest area of the state BY FAR and one of the poorest areas of the nation. It's also the most solidly Democratic part of Texas.
It's also over run with illegals.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,719,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Note the scarcity of libs on this thread. Heck, I would be depressed too.
It just tells me that most Americans are backward or prefer the status quo to making changes. Yippee. It's not surprising at all.

To me, there's no glory in being conservative. I thrive on new and challenging ideas. Conservatives thrive on doing nothing. They're scared of making any changes.

The good news (to me) is that moderates prefer Democrats currently. That's why Republicans have lost so much control over the last few years.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 PM

646 posts, read 1,641,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It just tells me that most Americans are backward or prefer the status quo to making changes. Yippee. It's not surprising at all.

To me, there's no glory in being conservative. I thrive on new and challenging ideas. Conservatives thrive on doing nothing. They're scared of making any changes.

The good news (to me) is that moderates prefer Democrats currently. That's why Republicans have lost so much control over the last few years.

Visiting the South is like walking back through time when racism and bigotry were the norm. When poverty and poor education were rampant.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Texas is poor?
The poverty rate in Texas is significantly higher than the U.S. average.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 PM

646 posts, read 1,641,516 times
[quote=AnUnidentifiedMale;10292308]The poverty rate in Texas is significantly higher than the U.S. average.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

So is the illiteracy rate and the college graduation rate is significantly lower than either coast. Education is not a priority in the South.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You know what's interesting - Deep South Texas is the poorest area of the state BY FAR and one of the poorest areas of the nation. It's also the most solidly Democratic part of Texas.
Well yes. They could use some economic help. I doubt they're culturally liberal. If they were better off financially, I'm sure they'd vote for Republicans.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am constantly amazed at the tactics folks will use to try to prove that we Southerners are all a bunch of ignorant, uneducated haters.
I don't have to use any tactics at all. I just look at the most anti-gay states and the most religious states and that tells me all I need to know about Southerners.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well yes. They could use some economic help. I doubt they're culturally liberal. If they were better off financially, I'm sure they'd vote for Republicans.
They would have to be legal US citizens first.

South Texas has become an anchor baby capital. And this article is old..2006. It's worse now.
Federal Observer Articles - Federal Observer

Old 08-15-2009, 01:37 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,494,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They would have to be legal US citizens first.

South Texas has become an anchor baby capital. And this article is old..2006. It's worse now.
Federal Observer Articles - Federal Observer
It's not just South Texas - about half (if not more, IIRC) of the babies born at Parkland Hospital in Dallas are anchor babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies