Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 PM

43 posts, read 191,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
any ideas that are new are considered left??
no i am talking about new ideas that the town may not have been exposed to in the past. but in general, the right wing sticks to old ideas, thats why theyre called conservatives in the u.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 PM

340 posts, read 745,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlab View Post
well when you talk about protecting people, what do you mean? because i dont think iraqis really feel protected, especially the half a million that died since the invasion. another aspect you have to look at is the safety of americans. since the invasion, americans have been more vulnerable than ever before when traveling overseas because people want to retaliate against what american troops have done around the world.
I mean protecting Americans first and foremost, and then anyone else who America as a majority feels is being wiped out by genocide, etc.. I cannot speak for the Iraqi's, but I know it is a horrible situation there.. I believe you are right about Americans being more vulnerable than ever, there are many who hate us with a passion. Just remember one thing when you speak about American troops. It is not the troops who decide to go to war, it is the government. The troops are caught in the middle whether they like it or not. I know of no one I served with who wanted to go kill people just because. It is a commitment you make to protect your country or allies, you don't have a choice if you don't like it...

Old 04-26-2007, 10:35 PM

340 posts, read 745,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlab View Post
thats the thing though. its hard to define liberal. what is liberal to one person is not to another.
Exactly, good point.....

Old 04-26-2007, 11:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
Default Liberal City Amenities

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
yoga shops, organic this and that, smelling like patchouli, head shops, lots of toe rings, people asking for money, asking you to sign petitions, poor minorities that dont really seem to be apart of the scheme but there to make it seem cool, rainbow flags, piercings, volvos, sandals, hairy legged woman, effeminate men,
May I add to this list since I recently moved from a liberal city/capitol.

Lots of Gang bangers
Lots of guns to rob & kill people instead of for hunting
Highschools with barbed wire fences and cops on duty
An abundance of abortion clinics
Loads of the gender confused
Lots of Strip Joints
English hardly spoken in some neighborhoods (santuary city/anti-American)
Naked PETA protestors
Dred Locks and bongos in the parks.....love em'
A Starbucks on every corner so silly people can pay $5 for a cup of coffee
Lots of roaming mentally ill from drug use
Used condoms in every park (check the children's play equipment first!)
Drive by shootings!
Road Rage!
Trash everywhere
Filthy public restrooms
Flag Burners
Rude customer service

-----------------------
There are a lot of good things also. Someone else can compose that list

Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
But 4. Hialeah....no way.
I think most people don't even know the difference between left and right. They're just repeating things they've heard other people (Rush Limbaugh) say.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:10 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
There is a whole class of 'city-cars' in Europe that haven't been marketed in the US...........yet. Mostly 2 seaters, very tiny, and made for high efficiency urban use.
Yup, they're all over Europe! Considering the cost of gas over there (outrageous) and small roads, it makes a lot of sense. Here's a picture I took of one in London...

And one I took in Amsterdam, where they REALLY need small cars - those canal streets are teeny-tiny! This one isn't a real "smart car", but very efficient nonetheless.

Sorry to send the thread off-topic again! To respond to the real topic, I think those first two lists were funny (and somewhat true)... but agree that we all have our own perceptions of "right and left", etc. Oh, and most of the things you're all listing off are just stupid stereotypes - and not even worth responding to one at a time.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I think most people don't even know the difference between left and right. They're just repeating things they've heard other people (Rush Limbaugh) say.
LOL... easier to be a parrot than to think for oneself, I guess.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
yoga shops, organic this and that, smelling like patchouli, head shops, lots of toe rings, people asking for money, asking you to sign petitions, poor minorities that dont really seem to be apart of the scheme but there to make it seem cool, rainbow flags, piercings, volvos, sandals, hairy legged woman, effeminate men,
Most of that stuff sounds pretty cool to me! (with the exception of the "poor minorities" part, which is untrue anyway)
Guess that's why I live in San Francisco... I don't have hairy legs, but I do love my sandals, piercings & yoga.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 AM

366 posts, read 387,002 times
citigirl, you just described some parts of Anchorage quite well; the reddest city in the reddest state. Are you sure you're not a closet "liberal"? It's okay to come out if you are.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:36 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
Alot of it is big city problems, red or blue but you will see all of it in liberal cities. Where I live now I almost cried when I saw how clean all the public restrooms were.

......and no I have been very much a conservative since a was a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies