Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
There is nothing "progressive" about liberalism
Liberalism, for the most part, has served this country and humanity everywhere well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times
Care to broaden that statement, KevK?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM

817 posts, read 853,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
As there is a lot of hoopla about conservative talk radio from a couple of the left-wingers herein, and one specifically, it struck me hardly anything is posted about liberal talk radio, except when something exciting happens to one of them. Like al franken. And of course since his election was finalized and he has taken his appointed seat in Congress, well, there still isn't much said about him, now, either.

So I went a-searchin' for some information. I googled liberal talk radio hosts and got a whopping 5-1/4 million hits. So then I googled conservative talk radio hosts and got 131 million hits. Wow, Man, talk about a disparity in hits! But, but, why would that be, I wonder?

Without going into any detail, I would suppose a lot has to do with the negativity of the liberal talk radio hosts, vs the perceived negativity of the conservative talk radio hosts. Could that be it, could that be the defining factor in popularity?

Oh, some good info about talk radio is here: Progressive talk radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And I guess I should change liberal to progressive. But I'm not going to edit to satisfy all of you.

And in that wiki hit, there is mention of the repeal of the "fairness doctrine" which affected the growth of talk radio, both sides, monumentally. Now the liberals are yakking it up about reinstating this doctrine. I can only say this: What is good for the goose, is good for the gander. Can't have it both ways, try as they may.

Let me write something further here, just to give you a notion of my stance in all this: I am a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant from Mississippi. I served my country in the US Navy for 20+ years, and I am damned proud of my service. I served under Mista Jimma, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush. I have seen the military services suffer greatly under the Democrat administrations, and have seen the military services rebound time and again under the Republicans. That being written, let it be known I was not happy with the second Bush all around, but he was elected and served. I'm just so happy that neither Gore nor Kerry got to sit in the hot seat for one day.

But Bush is no longer President. Barack Obama is President, having been duly elected and sworn in. No, I did not vote for him, and not because he's a mulatto, either, but because of his background, his lack of leadership, and some of his personal affiliations with other folks who I also do not trust. I voted my conscience, and that's all there is to that. You wish to pick that apart, have at it. You can't change it, and neither can I.

But back to the beginning: Why is liberal talk radio so far in the background they cannot be heard as easily as the conservative talk radio programs? I think there is a station in Dallas I've heard from time-to-time, but the negativity is always so strong - about everything - I just don't waste my time to listen. I'd rather listen to nothing at all, than negativity, from either side.
Liberal radio is largely ignored because of the inherit hypocrisy of liberal views.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Liberal radio is largely ignored because of the inherit hypocrisy of liberal views.
How does one "inherit hypocrisy"? Is it genetic?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Liberals have tried, and failed, ever since Rush came on the air. Cumo, Larry King, etc. They fail because when callers call in they are equipped with facts which liberals cannot defend.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Liberalism, for the most part, has served this country and humanity everywhere well.

Please let us know when your comedy tour starts and how much tickets will be for one of your shows.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:

So I went a-searchin' for some information. I googled liberal talk radio hosts and got a whopping 5-1/4 million hits. So then I googled conservative talk radio hosts and got 131 million hits. Wow, Man, talk about a disparity in hits! But, but, why would that be, I wonder?

Without going into any detail, I would suppose a lot has to do with the negativity of the liberal talk radio hosts, vs the perceived negativity of the conservative talk radio hosts. Could that be it, could that be the defining factor in popularity?

Oh, some good info about talk radio is here: Progressive talk radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And I guess I should change liberal to progressive. But I'm not going to edit to satisfy all of you.

But back to the beginning: Why is liberal talk radio so far in the background they cannot be heard as easily as the conservative talk radio programs? I think there is a station in Dallas I've heard from time-to-time, but the negativity is always so strong - about everything - I just don't waste my time to listen. I'd rather listen to nothing at all, than negativity, from either side.

I wouldn't know about the negativity of the progressive talk shows BC we don't get a single one here in NE FL. I have heard Rush and company, though, and I would say that they tend to be just a tad on the negative side.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:17 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Delta, I haven't listened to liberal talk radio. But ten minutes with Rush and Hannity are enough for me to get a Prozac! They were positive about everything when the GOP was in power, and now it's almost nothing but negativity. Truly amazing!

And thanks for your service to the U.S. You should be damn proud, and good for you.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Quote:
Could that be it, could that be the defining factor in popularity?
Could it be that you got so many hits for conservative radio because liberals like to talk negatively about it more than they care to speak favorably about liberal radio (or actually listen to either one).

Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
The biggest problems with "liberal" or "progressive" talk radio are that

1) The conservative hosts are first and foremost entertainers, political commentators second. Rush Limbaugh cut his teeth doing music DJing and entertainment radio. Liberal hosts never seemed to get this.

2) The elephant in the room is NPR. They get 20 million listeners a day to their morning and afternoon programs. Officially they are non-partisan and most of their programming is not even news or political - probably about 15% of NPR programming is about politics, if that. However, liberals seem to love NPR, and even though it's not political... a lot of NPR's shows are things that liberals like. I think they swallow most of the audience that might be out there for liberal talk.

I've never met a liberal who did not like NPR or PBS. I've met conservatives that like it too, but no liberal seems to dislike them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies