Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times

Advertisements

I figure this thread belongs here instead of in "TV" because it has more to do with politics and the failure of the media to accurately cover political issues. This morning while surfing through channels I heard 3 different "talking heads"/"newsreaders" (I refuse to call any of them "reporters" comment on and or show snippets of Jon Stewart "taking apart" the lying sack Betsy McCaughey on last night's "Daily Show".

No, I'm not going to post a link, it's pretty easy to find. Although the right will automatically say (1) "link or it never happened", or (2) "she totally p**ned him", or (3) "it's Comedy Central, you can't believe any of it".

Did any of these so-called "news people" not see the irony in a "fake news" guy taking apart this lying sack, when most, if not all of them, had hosted her and let her spew her lies on their shows?

And in case any of you want to defend McCaughey and say "she's not a liar" just try fact checking her. Or maybe consider that her hit piece, written in the '90s and widely credited with killing off "Hillarycare", was published in "The New Republic". The magazin itself later disowned the piece for being so filled with lies! Of course that was back when "TNR" actually did some fact checking on pieces it published. Granted it was only after the fact, and only when they got caught. Today it's about as "fact-filled" as an hour of Rush or Drudge.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I figure this thread belongs here instead of in "TV" because it has more to do with politics and the failure of the media to accurately cover political issues. This morning while surfing through channels I heard 3 different "talking heads"/"newsreaders" (I refuse to call any of them "reporters" comment on and or show snippets of Jon Stewart "taking apart" the lying sack Betsy McCaughey on last night's "Daily Show".

No, I'm not going to post a link, it's pretty easy to find. Although the right will automatically say (1) "link or it never happened", or (2) "she totally p**ned him", or (3) "it's Comedy Central, you can't believe any of it".

Did any of these so-called "news people" not see the irony in a "fake news" guy taking apart this lying sack, when most, if not all of them, had hosted her and let her spew her lies on their shows?

And in case any of you want to defend McCaughey and say "she's not a liar" just try fact checking her. Or maybe consider that her hit piece, written in the '90s and widely credited with killing off "Hillarycare", was published in "The New Republic". The magazin itself later disowned the piece for being so filled with lies! Of course that was back when "TNR" actually did some fact checking on pieces it published. Granted it was only after the fact, and only when they got caught. Today it's about as "fact-filled" as an hour of Rush or Drudge.

golfgod
Akre v Fox News defined just who and what our media is biased for.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

golfgod
Yeah, i saw that episode last night. Talk about that lady not seeing the forest from the trees.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Powell's Books - What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News by Eric Alterman

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

In total, from 6 AM on Monday to 4 PM on Wednesday, the networks have hosted Republican lawmakers 51 times and Democratic lawmakers only 26 times. Surprisingly, Fox News came the closest to offering balance, hosting 8 Republicans and 6 Democrats. CNN had only two Democrats compared to 7 Republicans.
The drastically imbalanced coverage isn’t the first time that the news networks have effectively supported attacks on the recovery plans. As ThinkProgress reported on Monday, the cable networks, the Sunday shows and the network newscasts promoted a controversial CBO non-report 81 times before the actual CBO analysis of the stimulus plan was released.
Update Digby has more on the Republican domination of the stimulus debate on TV.
Update ThinkProgress did a follow-up cable news analysis here, which found that in the lead-up to the Senate debate over the stimulus bill, GOP lawmakers outnumbered Democrats on TV by a ratio of 2:1 again.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Thanks for posting that geechie. Most of us have long known that the myth of "liberal media" is just that, a myth. But like a lot of other right wing lies, the more it's repeated the more it becomes "fact". I've given up on most of the Sunday morning interview shows because no one (any more) will tell anyone (specifically Dick Cheney) that he's LYING, when he's been caught in an obvious lie.

I did catch part of "MTP" this Sunday and wasn't a bit suprised when every time Rachel Maddow (Rhodes Scholar-DrPhil/Oxford, so you know she's considered an idiot by the right) started to show up Dick Armey (who was actually one of the smartest Rs-or any other party ever elected to Congress) the host would cut her off, thereby letting Armey skate. This is one of the traits that p***es me off so much about these a**-hats hosting these shows any more. They know that Maddow, as an NBC employee (not sure, she may just be a contract player) she'll be back whenever she wants. But if he hacks off a "power player" like Armey he'll be cut off.

Back when I lived in TX I had a lot of respect for Armey. So his methods so much as for his (mostly) commons sense approach to most things and the fact that he often stood up to his party's "leaders", like Cheney and James Dobson. Although I lost a most of my respect for him due to all of his sexual harrassment of his femal students. Just like almost any other guy with a hard **** and power over nubile females.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies