Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Christian, do you agree with the AZ pastor's sermon?
Yes 6 10.71%
No 47 83.93%
Somewhat.... 2 3.57%
I'm not sure... 0 0%
Other [in comments] 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 AM
cj7

38 posts, read 325,576 times

Advertisements

Life in prison likely for mobster cops - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Cooper On Mexican Drug War - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Mexico decriminalizes small amounts of drugs - Focus on Mexico- msnbc.com

Mexico under siege
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:14 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
"The same God who instituted the death penalty for murders is the same god who instituted the death penalty for rapists and for homosexuals, sodomites and q****s"
Wow, homosexuals, sodomites and q****s? Talk about covering all your bases.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by artsyguy
If Christian's don't call for the death of people. Then why does it say this in The Bible? I'm pretty sure The Bible encourages violence.

DEUTERONOMY 22:13-21
If it is discovered that a bride is not a virgin, the Bible demands that she be executed by stoning immediately.
Jesus fixed that. See John 8:1--11
• DEUTERONOMY 22:22
If a married person has sex with someone else's husband or wife, the Bible commands that both adulterers be stoned to death.
Jesus fixed that too. See John 8:1--11
• MARK 10:1-12
Divorce is strictly forbidden in both Testaments, as is remarriage of anyone who has been divorced.
Matthew and Luke contain exceptions. But yes, christianity is more strict about divorce than other religions. I don't apologize for that though.
• LEVITICUS 18:19
The Bible forbids a married couple from having sexual intercourse during a woman's period. If they disobey, both shall be executed.
Where does it say that? My bible says this: "Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during hte uncleanness of her monthly period" An odd rule, but where's the execution in there?

Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony."
The book of Proverbs uses hyperbole quite a bit. That is not to be taken any more literally than Jesus' command to gouge out your eye for looking at a woman.
The general rule is that certain provisions of the old testament law still stand if Jesus and the Apostles said that they still stand. Jesus did not support executions for adultery, though he still called it sin. Nor did he support strict sabbath observance and food laws. Therefore Christians are not to do those things.

And when was the last time you heard a mainstream christian call for someone's death? My most conservative, right wing christian friends would never support such a thing because it is simply no longer biblical--and therefore wrong.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:49 AM
cj7

38 posts, read 325,576 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
^ Were you home schooled, by any chance?

California parents were getting verbally beaten down for trying to keep their kids out of some of this crap and HOME schooling them to help avoid the gang/abuse that happens to their kids at school and the STATE was refusing them that right.

Not knowing what your face was like when you wrote that. I would assume you know nothing or you know much... your not a fence sitter.

Last edited by cj7; 08-23-2009 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: not sure if that was for me... oops

Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I didn't bother to look at the linked story, because as a Christian, it is not for us to judge the unbeliever. That is God's realm.

It is okay for us to call homosexuality "sin", because that is what God calls it, and it is what the Bible teaches. But it is not for us to judge the "homosexual", per se. That is for God.
Where does "God" call homosexuality a sin? Where does the Bible teach it? And Please, I know the 4 or 5 verses used out of context by most anti-gay Christians, and none of them say that "homosexuality" is a sin when read in context of the original languages and the culture and customs of the times. (Lev 18:22, Lev 20:13, 1 Cor 6:9, 1 Tim 1:10, Rom 1:26-27).

Ironically, the most used verse by modern Christians (1 Cor 6) in the last 60 years, was used for centuries to condemn "Masturbators" NOT homosexuals, until some church commisioned English translators in 1946 decided to translate the original Koine Greek words "arsenokoites" and "malakoi" to mean homosexuals instead.

Condemning homosexuals became church doctrine, just like burning innocent women as witches or persecuting "Christ-killing Jews" or persecuting people like Galileo who said the earth revolved around the sun. We've outgrown these other "doctrines" and we'll outgrow the anti-homosexual one too eventually.

Homosexuality isn't condemned in the Bible, only specific types of homosexual acts (generally involving idolatrous worship of pagan gods in the local temples of the time), just like specific heterosexual acts are condemned. Yet no-one condemns ALL heterosexuals or heterosexuality just because SOME heterosexual acts are condemned.

I don't know ANY gay people in the 21st century who are male temple prostitutes worshipping Canaanite or Roman fertility gods, do you?

You'd think that with all the vitriol by modern anti-gay Christians against gay people, that there would be a lot written about homosexuality in the Bible-but there just isn't.

Last edited by Ceist; 08-23-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please do not stereotype all Christians as agreeing with such dreck!

What else are they going to do? They can't talk about rev Wright and James Cones or anything relevant, so they bring up some pastor we've never heard of who made some very un-PC statements to change the subject from the single payer that most people do not want, the failed stimulus that has yet to create a single job, cash for clunkers that dealers scrapped and the like.

You know, the world is full of Muslims who hate everyone who is not also a Muslim, but we hear little about that from the left.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:16 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
When I read this, somehow I KNEW people would come out of the wordwork in droves with "No True Christian Fallacies".

Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by AxisMundi
When I read this, somehow I KNEW people would come out of the wordwork in droves with "No True Christian Fallacies".
What? Have you heard of any mainstream christians who have advocated the death of gays and Obama? Not even James Dobson has said that. I've been going to church--conservative, baptist, evangelical churches--for over ten years and not once have I heard anyone say that.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
We all know that a true Christian would never agree with this. Trouble is that there are twisted and perverse forms of Christianity that do. They are hiding behind a plastic Jesus and using their so called religion to manipulate a gullible and ignorant group of people.
"...twisted and perverse forms of Christianity..." No. That would not be Christianity. One might live in a church. That does not make one a Christian. No more than living in a garage would make one a car.

Example: Jeremiah Wright. He calls himself a Christian, and those who listen to him (Obama did for 20 years) apparently call themselves Christian. But what Wright preaches, is not Christianity. I wouldn't even dignify it by calling it a "perverse form" of Christianity, because to say it is a "form", is to say that it is Christianity. It is not.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 08-23-2009 at 07:06 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Why was this preacher arrested at a border point of entrance. I've read the reports, but I can't figure out why he was there?

http://sanderson1611.blogspot.com/20...df-format.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies