Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,370,064 times

Advertisements

This is still in a small percentage of cases to be sure - but the numbers have been growing rapidly - and now more Americans travel abroad for their health care than foriegners come here for their health care.

Those Americans are heading overseas because of the much lower costs to be found there - and now some insurance companies are starting to actually encourage it.

"...the insurance industry's embrace of overseas care has had a pleasant side effect at home: some U.S. care providers are offering price breaks to counter the foreign competition."

Insurers explore savings in overseas care - Health care- msnbc.com

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 07:17 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,804,729 times
Yeah I remember someone having a thread about this.
If people have the money to go abroad, more power to them.

At the same time, I don't see why insurance companies here can't negotiate more often for lower rates for certain procedures.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,428,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
This is still in a small percentage of cases to be sure - but the numbers have been growing rapidly - and now more Americans travel abroad for their health care than foriegners come here for their health care.

Those Americans are heading overseas because of the much lower costs to be found there - and now some insurance companies are starting to actually encourage it.

"...the insurance industry's embrace of overseas care has had a pleasant side effect at home: some U.S. care providers are offering price breaks to counter the foreign competition."

Insurers explore savings in overseas care - Health care- msnbc.com

Ken
India is the up and coming place to go for medical treatment if you live in a socialized medicine country. They have state of the art equipment and the doctors are well trained.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Yeah I remember someone having a thread about this.
If people have the money to go abroad, more power to them.

At the same time, I don't see why insurance companies here can't negotiate more often for lower rates for certain procedures.
How can insurers negotiate for lower rates when the overhead for doctors continues to rise? In 1988 I paid $19.00 for a case of copy paper. I now can get a case on sale for $34.99. Medical office rent is ridiculous. We pay over $3200 a month for 1850 square feet.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,370,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
India is the up and coming place to go for medical treatment if you live in a socialized medicine country. They have state of the art equipment and the doctors are well trained.
Yup.
India, Thailand, Costa Rica - all these places have state of the art medical facilities where world class doctors use world class techniques.

The US is not alone in having good doctors and hospitals.

Here's an interesting link:

Medical Tourism - Healthbase - Medical Outsourcing

So the question is - how much can outsourcing these jobs help to drive down costs here in the US (and what are the disadvantages (if any) of doing so)?

Ken

Old 08-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
India, Thailand, Costa Rica - all these places have state of the art medical facilities where world class doctors use world class techniques.

The US is not alone in having good doctors and hospitals.

Here's an interesting link:

Medical Tourism - Healthbase - Medical Outsourcing

So the question is - how much can outsourcing these jobs help to drive down costs here in the US (and what are the disadvantages (if any) of doing so)?

Ken
Outsourcing these jobs will not drive costs down in the United States. Overhead costs in the US continue to rise for doctors.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:58 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,651,079 times
If I were an insurance executive, I would aggressively sign deals with foreign medical services, and provide cost incentives for patients to go overseas. It makes economic sense.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
If I were an insurance executive, I would aggressively sign deals with foreign medical services, and provide cost incentives for patients to go overseas. It makes economic sense.
Interesting. As an insurance company executive would you pay for the airfare for the patient and a medically necessary family member attendant? I assume you would pay for the lodging for the family member in addition to the medical care for the patient.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:08 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,651,079 times
Quote:
As an insurance company executive would you pay for the airfare for the patient and a medically necessary family member attendant? I assume you would pay for the lodging for the family member in addition to the medical care for the patient.
Probably not. I would pay what I could get away with. Remember, as the manager of a corporation, my first and most important loyalty is to shareholders - not clients.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Interesting. As an insurance company executive would you pay for the airfare for the patient and a medically necessary family member attendant? I assume you would pay for the lodging for the family member in addition to the medical care for the patient.
Ha..yes, some insurers have pilot programs where they pay your way over there. The 4 largest insurers have this program. It's even got a name.."medical tourism".
The article says insurers are saving up to 90% of the cost compared to a US based surgery (bypass for example).

Health insurers explore savings in overseas care - Business | Reflector.com (http://www.reflector.com/business/health-insurers-explore-savings-in-overseas-care-790971.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies