Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:43 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times

Advertisements

wow, what a hypocrite. Since you want to go into the past to spew your hatred, I'll do the same. My ancestors were arrested and force marched from their homes and put on ships. The British officers and governors wanted the homes, land, and livestock of my ancestors. Didn't matter that many of them died in the ships on their way to Louisiana and became what is now Cajuns. How did the British treat the native people of the colonies they took over,...many times by brute force? I'm sure China enjoyed being taken over so that the upper class could continue to receive their drugs. But you know what? I don't care cause it's all in the past. Those involved in Mai Lai were eventually brought to justice when someone was willing to come forward. A blood thirsty nation would not have punished someone for such actions. They'd hide the truth from the world while patting themselves on the back like the Soviet Union did for so many years. Ask the Ukrainians about how the Soviet Union treated them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
This morning, August 26, 2009, US Ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, was discussing this country's decision to rejoin the Council on Human Rights which we had abandoned because countries that violate human rights were members. What a crock. The US has a history of violating human rights. From supporting dictators in the Middle East and Latin America to denying our own citizens human rights because they're gay, etc.

When listening to this story, I thought about the following article regarding Mai Lai that was published in The New York Times last week.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/us...=calley&st=cse

http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/22...Massacre-0.jpg

Indeed, America, and its patner in war-crimes, Israel, are probably the most belligerent, blood-thirsty countries on Earth and are the among the most pernicious and systematic violators of human rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 01:56 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I think Calley was a scapegoat. The orders came from higher up and he paid a price for following them. I always felt bad for him. You can tell it haunts him to this day.

I just always chalked it up to another way we take advantage of our soldiers. We put them in terrible situations that they have no real training for (what do to when you get an order that does not sound right) and then when they make a bad choice we crucify them.
A soldiers job is breaking things and killing people. That's the long and short of it. It's not pretty, it's not glamourous, it's not not a job that receives near the recognition it deserves. Nice to see that there are still people out there that try and see things from the perspective of a combatant. There will always be those who judge from the sofa. Wringing their hands in righteous indignation at the horrors of war, and blaming the soldiers fighting it, for it. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I cannot guarantee that I would not have done the same thing had I been in Calley's shoes. Age and hard living have mellowed me some, but when I was twentysomething I was a hothead, and gung ho through and through. Every fool gets to be young once. Calley was just such a young fool. Sad.............

Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Was Lt. Calley tried for giving the orders for My Lai? Surely he gave those orders as an evil American and not as a weak human being just like the rest of us. I have always been saddened by the outcome of that one. I think that when some of yours come to the end that some Americans involved there did the rest of them have a chance to lose their humanity. It was very sad to have happen but no group of humans can manage to keep their humanity all the time, can they?

Were you around in 1968? If so did you not see many people lose their humanity when the riots started? The riot that I am most saddened by was the one at the Democrat National Convention in Chicago. All kinds of property was destroyed because the rioters considered supporters of Lyndon Johnson, Democrats, to be terrible people. I so well remember the pictures of riot sights in Life magazine. Have you ever seen the one of the stripped to the waist (not acceptable dress back then) rioter standing by the overturned car with his middle finger pointing up and the f word formed on his lips, as in uck you pig, and the cop heading in with his nightstick ready to work with.

I think that blaming the whole country for something like My Lai is just a bit far out there, but I don't hate my country and know that we aren't the only people in the world like that.

Exactly. Unless you were in combat- shut up.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,696 times
Quote:
This morning, August 26, 2009, US Ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, was discussing this country's decision to rejoin the Council on Human Rights which we had abandoned because countries that violate human rights were members. What a crock. The US has a history of violating human rights. From supporting dictators in the Middle East and Latin America to denying our own citizens human rights because they're gay, etc.

When listening to this story, I thought about the following article regarding Mai Lai that was published in The New York Times last week.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/us...=calley&st=cse

http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/22...Massacre-0.jpg

Indeed, America, and its patner in war-crimes, Israel, are probably the most belligerent, blood-thirsty countries on Earth and are the among the most pernicious and systematic violators of human rights.
I agree.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Quote:
Right....yeah, all the bad stuff in the world is the fault of the US and their henchmen, the jews. If only the world was run by Iran, Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, or another bastion of democracy and human rights, we'd all be better off. Maybe we should be asking Yemen how they've managed their stellar record on human rights so we could emulate them?

Are you for real? I know people have differences of opinion on policy and some people think the war in Iraq wasn't good policy....I can get that...but your comment just ignores facts and substitutes some kind of alternate reality for the real world. You really need to get out more or at least go back on the meds.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Calley was a failure as an Officer and his NCOs were bent on revenge for previous autrocities committed against them. The only person present who seems to have shown any leadership was the Helicopter pilot who threatened to open fire unless they stopped. There were plenty of other incidents but this truly was just a unit that broke down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies