Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:54 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

Relayed in a personal letter written to Senator Kennedy, which reads in part:

"The Holy Father has read the letter which you entrusted to President Obama, who kindly presented it to him during their recent meeting. He was saddened to know of your illness, and asked me to assure you of his concern and his spiritual closeness. He is particularly grateful for your promise of prayers for him, for the needs of our universal church.

"His Holiness prays that in the days ahead, you may be sustained in faith and hope, and granted the precious grace of joyful surrender to the will of God, our merciful father. He invokes upon you the consolation and peace promised by the risen savior to all who share in his sufferings, and trust in his promise of eternal life.

"Commending you and the members of your family to the loving intervention of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Holy Father cordially imparts his apostolic blessing as a pledge of wisdom, comfort, and strength in the Lord."

Excerpts from Kennedy's letter to Pope Benedict XVI - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 01:29 AM

243 posts, read 343,269 times
Part of the letter from the Pope was read at Kennedys burial.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
I saw that was but wondering why the pope himself did not write his own letter?
It was sort of like a form letter
also Kennedy was pointing to all his "good works" not much humility there
it was look at what all I have done, therefore I am worthy.
I am not a Roman Catholic, I am a Christian, my faith teaches me it is the work of Christ, not mine
works that will save me, I am not worthy, it is only Christ that is worthy.
Of course as a Christain it is due to Christ's work that causes me to desire help others
I can not judge Kennedy nor his heart, that is between him and God.
I watched all the services and though am not a big Kennedy fan, was moved by his children and grand children and the beauty of his wife.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:19 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Written by an aid. How embarrassing.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yep..The Pope should be embarassed.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I saw that was but wondering why the pope himself did not write his own letter?It was sort of like a form letter
I am not a Roman Catholic, I am a Christian, my faith teaches me it is the work of Christ, not mine
works that will save me, I am not worthy, it is only Christ that is worthy.
Of course as a Christain it is due to Christ's work that causes me to desire help others
I can not judge Kennedy nor his heart, that is between him and God.
I watched all the services and though am not a big Kennedy fan, was moved by his children and grand children and the beauty of his wife.
I thought about that, too and then decided that there must be formal guidelines to be followed. It was a personal letter albeit written by a public figure and delivered by the President of the US--lots of issues to be considered, imo.
I thought the response was well stated. As a Protestant I try to be respectful of beliefs that differ from my own but agree with Thomas Jefferson that an individual's faith is between him/her and the Creator.
If the letter gave TK some peace and reassurance then I am glad.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
*L* You're really reaching.

What is noteworthy to a Catholic is that the Pope himself gave the apostolic blessing:

"'Commending you and the members of your family to the loving intervention of the blessed Virgin Mary, the Holy Father cordially imparts his apostolic blessing as a pledge of wisdom, comfort and strength in the Lord.'"
http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...nedy_buri.html

This is notable, and the only thing that matters.

"Blessing, APOSTOLIC, the solemn blessing (urbi et orbi) which, before 1870, the Holy Father himself gave from the loggias of the following churches: of St. Peter's, on Maundy Thursday and Easter; of the Lateran, on Ascension Day; and of Santa Maria Maggiore, on the feast of the Assumption of the B. V. M. The popes very often delegated to others the power to give this blessing in answer to petitions from princes, at the close of missions, and on such occasions."
http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?ti...tolic_Blessing

Last edited by helenejen; 08-30-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post

I saw that was but wondering why the pope himself did not write his own letter?
Do you really think the Pope writes any of his own letters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem

The part we were made privy to, you mean.

And even just within that excerpt, we have:
"I know that I have been an imperfect human being, but with the help of my faith I have tried to right my path. . . I have always tried to be a faithful Catholic Your Holiness. And though I have fallen short through human failings, I have never failed to believe and respect the fundamental teachings of my faith. . . "

Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It's time to end the celebrity worship of politicians - and the Kennedys have done all they could to promote themselves as some kind of elite aristocrats that have some special right to rule this country.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Do you really think the Pope writes any of his own letters? The part we were made privy to, you mean.

And even just within that excerpt, we have:
"I know that I have been an imperfect human being, but with the help of my faith I have tried to right my path. . . I have always tried to be a faithful Catholic Your Holiness. And though I have fallen short through human failings, I have never failed to believe and respect the fundamental teachings of my faith. . . "

of course he does he answers his own mail
good grief, they were even discussing this very thing this morning on
ABC's morning show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies