Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When Should A Stranger Discipline Children?
When The Child Is Less Than 3 And Just Crying Loud? 2 1.71%
When The Child Is Over 5 And Making A Disturbance? 2 1.71%
When The Adult With The Child Obviously Has No Control? 4 3.42%
When The Child Presents A Danger To Himself Or Others? 37 31.62%
When The Child Is Not With An Adult And Acting Illegally 15 12.82%
Never Under Any Circumstances 71 60.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times

Advertisements

There is a story in the news here about a man in Wal*Mart who got tired of some woman's 2 year old bawling in the line so he told her "shut that kid up or I will" and when the kid would not shut up, he slapped the kid silly and then said "see I told you I would shut that kid up". He was charged and I think rightfully so.
But other cases are not so clearly cut. I was once in a Pizza Hut with my daughter and her friends and there were 2 boys in there- probably about 9 or so that were throwing things and running around. The person with them- most likey grandma- obviously could not control them. When she would tell them to sit down and be quiet, they would just ignore her and keep disturbing everybody else. I finally had enough and I got up and got in both of their faces and yelled "SIT THE HELL DOWN AND SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!!" to them. And they sat down and got quiet really fast!
Where do YOU draw the line? If you saw a 5 year old playing with the gear shift in a parked car, would you step in and physically restrain the child? If you saw a 10 year old stealing in the store, would you step in and physically stop him?
When do you think it is right to discipline the child of a stranger?

http://www.inquisitr.com/35612/man-s...y-in-wal-mart/
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_STONEM786868

Last edited by KevK; 09-02-2009 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times
I know it would never, ever be OK for me to slap a stranger's child or to slap anyone, for that matter.

I would be on my way and wishing the parent and child well. At this point in time the most I would do is leave a message for a manager on my way to the car.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There is a story in the news here about a man in Wal*Mart who got tired of some woman's 2 year old bawling in the line so he told her "shut that kid up or I will" and when the kid would not shut up, he slapped the kid silly and then said "see I told you I would shut that kid up". He was charged and I think rightfully so.
But other cases are not so clearly cut. I was once in a Pizza Hut with my daughter and her friends and there were 2 boys in there- probably about 9 or so that were throwing things and running around. The person with them- most likey grandma- obviously could not control them. When she would tell them to sit down and be quiet, they would just ignore her and keep disturbing everybody else.
I finally had enough and I got up and got in both of their faces and yelled "SIT THE HELL DOWN AND SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!!" to them. And they sat down and got quiet really fast!
I don't blame you in the scenario you mention, but if I was in Wal Mart and somebody slapped my child, I would beat the living hell out of them in the middle of Wal Mart and then press charges.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
First off, it is NEVER, ok to strike another persons kid, unless you are a nun in a Catholic school. Second, I see nothing wrong with being supportive of a parent attempting to discipline a child. A strong, "listen to you mother/grandmother" isn't something that I would shy away from doing. But I would say that stepping in when the parent or guardian isn't paying attention is appropriate. If children are acting uncivil, I think that the behavior should be brought to the attention of the adult, if they do nothing, then back off.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:39 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
But other cases are not so clearly cut. I was once in a Pizza Hut with my daughter and her friends and there were 2 boys in there- probably about 9 or so that were throwing things and running around. The person with them- most likey grandma- obviously could not control them. When she would tell them to sit down and be quiet, they would just ignore her and keep disturbing everybody else.
I finally had enough and I got up and got in both of their faces and yelled "SIT THE HELL DOWN AND SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!!" to them. And they sat down and got quiet really fast!
I can't answer your poll, because disciplining is one thing, smacking them is another.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,152 times
It is never appropriate to discipline another person's child. You have a problem, take it up with the adult they are with. One thing I will do is if I am out somewhere and a yoot expects me to step out of their way, I will not do it. I will run into them or make them move and then tell them "excuse you."

Many of the children today are so very rude.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
#1 that person would find themselves on the floor with a very painful face/jaw/nose where I busted them, and find themselves in an arm lock/choke hold while I asked someone to call 911. Charges would be pressed.

No matter how at fault the parent was, this is pure an simple assault, and should be treated as such.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Might be ok to yell or threaten, but to slap another person's kid... no way! If a stranger slapped my child I would have charges pressed against me for hitting him back!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
The only reason I could ever see laying hands on a child other than my own is if they present a physical danger to me, themselves or someone else. Even themselves is borderline, just because you feel an activity they are engaged is dangerous doesn't necessarily mean its your place to stop them as the parents may feel otherwise.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,187 times
If a kid pinched me in certain places, (say on a dare from a buddy) you had better believe I would smack him, or her. If I get sued, I have a great lawyer. I have all kinds of defenses. If my child intentionally pinched a lady or man in certain places, I would hold him/ her while the stranger administers a good whack on the bottom. (teamwork).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies