Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM

353 posts, read 906,137 times

Advertisements

1) Everyone "needs" a college degree which decreases their worth yet the cost of getting one increases.

2)Starting salaries are too low to pay off that wonderful golden ticket of a college degree along with other basic life expenses.

3) The cost of everything increases with time except for paying employees.

4)And of course there is overall irresponsibility but I still attribute it mostly to points 1-3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
Because there is so many different reactions of "the problem" it will not be resolved.
Until an answer or approach is "isolated" the chaos will continue.
Therefore the problem of economics cannot be that bad as so many villains are suggested. The amazing aspect of this threads confusing ambience of focus is how
self inclination and personal experience is dictating the thoughts. Lets face it most of the victims of the economy are not here as theres no funds for com****r.
Its like if this was life in the CAVE DAYS and there was a small handful of farmers and associates who controlled all the food and many were left out .
AND NO ONE WANTS TO SEE ITS THE DISTRIBUTION OF FOOD
So continue to amuse yourself and think its the balony politics or whatever....the best was , oh ya....People today don't know what work is and want it all
G I V E M E A B R E A K

Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Sometimes it's both--parents that created what that generation is and circumstances...

Ever hear of "helicopter parents"? You know, always hovering to make sure little Johnny never gets a bump or bruise? Soemtimes that extends during their entire life where the parent never allows teh child to struggle or fail.

I had to fire a 28 year old little boy for just failing to show up for work--more than once. I got a call from his mother about it and the next day a visit from both parents wanting me to re-hire him and then furious and threatening legal action when I wouldn't.

28!! With these types of parents, the guy didn't stand a chance.

Unfortunately, I've had a couple of similar instances since.

There have always been kids of every generation who didn't make it...it just seems more prevalent today.
Please tell me you told them off.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

According to this report from the AFL-CIO, young people under 35 are strugging to gain independence and make ends meet in very large numbers. 1 in three young adults under 35 live with their parents, 31% don't have health insurance and only 31% report making enough money to pay all the bills and save at least some of their income. They are burdened with student loans and are putting off traditional "rites of passage" like buying a house and having children.

So what is causing the problem? Is it the generation itself or outside pressures out of their control?
I'm going with "liking it" on junior's part. They've never been independent and they don't prize it enough to lower their standard of living to be independent. Mommy and daddy have enabled them their entire life. And they are the same "kids" that want the government to mommy and daddy them some more.

The other 2 out of 3 kids lower their standard of living, get jobs and/or join the military, pay bills and eventually have families of their own. Hopefully, they are the future of this country.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
If you say so. I have a coworker who works for UPS every holiday season loading trucks...think she's been doing it for 3 or 4 years now....
I was watching Shep Smith's show last night and he said UPS, Fed Ex and the Post Office are hiring temp holiday workers. It kind of makes sense that with more people shopping on line, those businesses that deliver packages would pick up.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
In cities like San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, NYC or DC, it's even worse.

Here's an ad for the cheapest real posting I could find in San Francisco on Craiglist:

So for $600/mo (plus a $900 deposit) you can get a 90 square foot room in an apartment without an oven or a stove in a mediocre part of the City.

Sorry, but that's pathetic and there's no reason why a college graduate with a professional job should have to live in such poor conditions, but based on the income levels ($32,000/yr ends up being about 1800/mo) that's the most they can technically afford.

You can't blame young people, most of whom had to work MUCH harder to get into college (the competition for college admissions has skyrocketed, even in the last 15 years. My sister went to U-Penn in 1992 when the acceptance rate was 38.9%, this year it was 16.7%...more twice as hard to get into) and who face a much more competitive job market than ever before. Blame the young people all you want, but it's the greed of the Senior Executives that has caused these problems.
You otta come to Pgh,Pa, my 1 bedroom apt utilities inc, $500 per mo.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You otta come to Pgh,Pa, my 1 bedroom apt utilities inc, $500 per mo.
I live in Pittsburgh and I split a 3br apartment with two other guys, total cost $1100/mo split 3 ways!

Not a bad city at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies