Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times

Advertisements

Between the attempt to demonize Sonia Sotomayor, using "illegal" aliens as the whipping boy for opposition to national healthcare policies, and calling the first African American President of the United States a racist, fascist, and the unprecedented display of a white Republican Congressman from South Carolina calling his a liar, how do you suppose you will enlarge the base of your party?

I really not interested in debating the truth or sincerity of these points of opposition, in fact I will stipulate for the purposes of this thread (and this thread only) that the charges are legitimate, what I am interested in are the realties of real life electoral politics.

In the last election Obama demonstrated that a non-white candidate can win the highest office in the land without winning a majority of the white vote. That fact will not diminish in the coming years or decades. Do you or the Republican Party understand how these attacks, as legitimate as they are (remember this thread only) resonate with hispanic and African American voters?

Do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
In the last election Obama demonstrated that a non-white candidate can win the highest office in the land without winning a majority of the white vote.
Without the percentage of the white vote he garnered, he could never have won.

Putting that aside, he still only won by 6%, not a very significant number. Look at the states that put him over - ALL very, very close - Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Indiana - those states, and more, can easily revert back to Red.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:32 PM

742 posts, read 1,230,084 times
this is one of those questions, thats not really a question

Old 09-11-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
this is one of those questions, thats not really a question
One of those answers that's not really an answer.

Even Sanrene was able to come up with a answer.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:38 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,721 times
It is just that we could do better . Is there no Judge or good person in the Western United States that can serve ? Why more north easterners ? The West is not represented at all . I bet you could find a great "Latina" in the West. Maybe one that likes white people?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Without the percentage of the white vote he garnered, he could never have won.

Putting that aside, he still only won by 6%, not a very significant number. Look at the states that put him over - ALL very, very close - Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Indiana - those states, and more, can easily revert back to Red.
So, in short you believe that the hispanic and African American vote is unimportant to Republican victories?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,058,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Between the attempt to demonize Sonia Sotomayor, using "illegal" aliens as the whipping boy for opposition to national healthcare policies, and calling the first African American President of the United States a racist, fascist, and the unprecedented display of a white Republican Congressman from South Carolina calling his a liar, how do you suppose you will enlarge the base of your party?

I really not interested in debating the truth or sincerity of these points of opposition, in fact I will stipulate for the purposes of this thread (and this thread only) that the charges are legitimate, what I am interested in are the realties of real life electoral politics.

In the last election Obama demonstrated that a non-white candidate can win the highest office in the land without winning a majority of the white vote. That fact will not diminish in the coming years or decades. Do you or the Republican Party understand how these attacks, as legitimate as they are (remember this thread only) resonate with hispanic and African American voters?

Do you care?
After the last 8 years many have left that party because of said party's intolerence for personal liberties. Hopefully there is an effort to form an opposition to the Big Government nanny staters that have inhabited the Whitehouse, Congress and most state and local Governments for at least every year of my lifetime to present.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:42 PM

654 posts, read 466,961 times
I cannot help believe that Sonia Sotomayor was nominated based on her race and gender. There is no way that Obama would have nominated another crusty old white guy, no matter how competent he was.

I could care less that Obama was won the Presidency as a black person, but I do care that you created a whole post due to race.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
After the last 8 years many have left that party because of said party's intolerence for personal liberties. Hopefully there is an effort to form an opposition to the Big Government nanny staters that have inhabited the Whitehouse, Congress and most state and local Governments for at least every year of my lifetime to present.
Maybe I should have done this in the form of a poll.

Can I put you in the we don't need the hispanic and African American vote column?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
So, in short you believe that the hispanic and African American vote is unimportant to Republican victories?
Until the AA vote sheds the chains of poverty the democrats have put around them, they will continue, as they always have, to vote democratic, at a rate of approx 90%.

The Hispanic vote can go either way. A lot of people gambled when they voted for obama, if they feel he has not lived up to "hopeyChange", they will easily shift the other way.

Indies pushed him over the top, going in he already had by default 90% of the AA vote, he even garnered approx 25% of conservatives - a lot of people believed him.

The political winds can change drastically and dramatically in one election cycle.

Just look at the dems in 2000, 2002 and 2004 - they were completely beaten and discouraged, with Carville running around with a bag over his head in a deep depression.

If you look at the states he won and by how much he won - it is nothing like the landslide the liberals claim.

FL - 238,000
NC - 14,000
VA - 250,000
OH - 260,000
In - 30,000

Switch those electoral votes - he loses.

A little more than 800,000 votes decided the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies