Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Jim Crow.
The Confederacy.
High levels of teen pregnancies.
Low levels of life expectancy.
Poverty
Racism

Yep.
Lot to have "pride" in...
Yep
Yeah, I never really get the "redneck pride" thing. Sure, Americans with Italian, Jewish, Hispanic, French, German ancestry etc. also have a certain amount of "pride" in their own culture and "roots". But you never hear them going around trying to "secede", putting down education, judging who are the "real" Americans, or trying to force their religion on anyone, let alone beating up on another race.

Maybe if "southerners" (aka the Scots-Irish) lost a few of those backward "tendencies", then they wouldn't always need to defend their "pride"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
I can just smell the "Tolerance" (with the underhanded predjudice against the south) as rank as it is in this thread.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
From William Faulkner through John Grisham the South has produced some outstanding writers. That's about all that come to mind.
Flannery O'Connor, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Carson McCullars (whose hometown of Columbus, GA I happen to live in).
Southern Gothic.......a lot of angst and soul searching down here. Love it!

But I love our great country as well, including the northeast where I lived for grades 3 - 7 (New Jersey, Staten Island, Massachusetts). A drive across this great land is a fascinating and ever changing landscape.

But, in the end, I'm a true Southerner. I wouldn't sneeze at a sublet in New York for the fall, though!

Hope all that wasn't TMI. If it was.......nevermind!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, I never really get the "redneck pride" thing. Sure, Americans with Italian, Jewish, Hispanic, French, German ancestry etc. also have a certain amount of "pride" in their own culture and "roots". But you never hear them going around trying to "secede", putting down education, judging who are the "real" Americans, or trying to force their religion on anyone, let alone beating up on another race.

Maybe if "southerners" (aka the Scots-Irish) lost a few of those backward "tendencies", then they wouldn't always need to defend their "pride"....
Have you been to Atlanta lately?
American by birth, Southern by the grace of (insert your own deity, belief system, superstition, however you roll) a higher force than me!!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
women are more "put together" in the south (and the west). they're not better looking or in better shape. they just make more of an effort to impress. me likes that

Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post

I get the pride in one's heritage, be that what it may. But I don't get the "gay pride" thing. Why should one be proud of their sexual orientation? I can understand a shame in it, if one is sexually attracted to children, but not a pride in just being gay.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I get the pride in one's heritage, be that what it may. But I don't get the "gay pride" thing. Why should one be proud of their sexual orientation? I can understand a shame in it, if one is sexually attracted to children, but not a pride in just being gay.
I think you're right, now "pride" has become less about identifying with ones "roots" or "cultural contributions", and instead it's just become another way of saying "look at us, we're special"!

Kinda like the SNL character Stuart Smalley's positive "affirmations":
"Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it... people like me!"

YouTube - Stuart Saves His Family Theatrical Trailer [HQ]

Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
"The South".......has "nice" cultural "traditions"...just the "part" about..... where "whites" owned..... black people as "slaves" should be recognized.....as.......a "shame".

Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Just chalk it up to "it's a Southern thing".....don't bother trying to understand it. It isn't understandable to a "damn Yankee".

Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies