Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,815,599 times

Advertisements

We need to replace Welfare with Workfare, and provide Medicare only to those who paid into it. There are thousands of people who illegally take Medicare via a 'medical card', food stamps, and Welfare. A low wage workforce can rebuild the manufacturing base, construct housing and provide daycare, and if it is government run - well, that isn't such a shocking thought anymore. Free housing and meals can be provided to the low wage workforce, again by government workers. If private industry cannot provide the jobs, the government should, by using the money it used to give away. Money for doing nothing should become an antiquated idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
well i agree. however work/job fairs are a joke. i have sent clients to them until i went and posed as a client with a resume & in a suit. not one interview. boxes of yellow application forms passed out by flunkies, no hiring people present. no wonder the clients hate the welfare department. lota people in the poor urban areas that do not want to work or who have been lied to once too many times.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-28-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,757,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
We need to replace Welfare with Workfare, and provide Medicare only to those who paid into it. There are thousands of people who illegally take Medicare via a 'medical card', food stamps, and Welfare. A low wage workforce can rebuild the manufacturing base, construct housing and provide daycare, and if it is government run - well, that isn't such a shocking thought anymore. Free housing and meals can be provided to the low wage workforce, again by government workers. If private industry cannot provide the jobs, the government should, by using the money it used to give away. Money for doing nothing should become an antiquated idea.

KRAMERCAT, WOW!!! I cannot believe I actually agree with you on something. Maybe I should go back and reread.....

Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
I think you are confusing medicare with medicaid, the program for low income people. Re: medicare, you have to have paid into the system for a certain number of years.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,795,824 times
Quote:
While that sounds good, wouldn't infusing low wage workers cause employers to fire some of their higher paid employees?

I don't see anything wrong with the government providing those on food stamps or Welfare a chance to go to college. We just have to make sure they're not getting degrees where it's hard for them to get a job.

I always thought there was a certain amount of time someone can be on Welfare.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
You're proposing what FDR did in the 1930's with the CCC, WPA and such. I would support replacing welfare and unemployment handouts with that.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I always thought there was a certain amount of time someone can be on Welfare.
You're right, for the TANF program (temporary assistance for needy families). I guess some places have some other programs that are not as restrictive. I know years ago Chicago had a program called "general assistance". Don't know about now.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,429,071 times
Yeah, let 'em die in the streets. And don't use my tax dollars to haul of the bodies, let the vultures and rats eat 'em.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:09 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,067,614 times
Quote:
OH my God. People still believe in Fairy Tales. No wonder the lines at Disneyland are so long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Yeah, let 'em die in the streets. And don't use my tax dollars to haul of the bodies, let the vultures and rats eat 'em.
Yeah, what a great idea.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,036,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
well said bravo to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies