Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Irrelevant. The issue is hypocrisy, not his marital or political status.
Unlike some of the politicians that promote 'family values' as a reason to vote for them... and then failing to live up to them, I don't think Dave ever said to watch him for anything more than entertainment... not for how he handles his personal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
GOP... I think the key to the political comment is only in whether that person based their election campaign and their own position on a moral code.

If a Governor said "elect me because I am not like that slimeball over there that sleeps around" and later is found to be sleeping around.... Or if they are free to criicize another in a similar position for wrongdoings that they themselves practice (in ANY moral or ethical vein, not just sex) then that is worse than a comedian pointing and laughing at the hypocracy while he still goes out and gets laid, stoned, drunk or whatever.

If the comedian starts to preach and prostletize, claiming that these ghuys should not sleep around, with no mention of the fact that tey themselves spoke out about it, then that would be different. What MOST do is make fun of the fact that they say one thing and do another.

As for hating Letterman? I thought he was much funnier 20 years ago or so, and I did think he was a BIT harsh on Palin's daughter Track and Field there, but at the same time when a campaign gets bitter about the people YOU support, and then you are shown for lacking the whole "family values" kinda thing that yuo are trying to use to get elected, then you are open to comments.

Palins daughter is a cute, spoiled little mfmmmmfrmmmph that slept with her BF w/o proper protection... Something just aint right in the Palin family with that (especially when Palin was preaching the opposite. It is like Cheney being against Homosexuality, but giving you the death stare when questioned about his daughter), but that is another topic. Two acually!!!

Dave is not, and never will be for everybody. He is not and does not claim to be, a moral leader. If you do nt LIKE him, do not WATCH him, and do not VOTE for him if he runs for office.

Here's one thing that should stick in the gut of any Letterman critic. I have yet to see one fan say they would STOP watching because of this. The only people I see crying for his cancellation are those that do not watch him in the first place. How is this supposed to motivate CBS to take him off the air? People who don't like him will continue not to watch him? THE HORROR!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You didn't offer an opinion, you flat out said he was wrong.

And where did you learn that he was in a committed relationship?

Of course seeking facts before making a judgement would also require acting like a responsible grown-up.
My opinion is that he is wrong. I know it's hard to grasp, but read it slowly a few times and you'll get it.

The woman he's now married to is one that he's been with since 1986. Whether or not they had an "open relationship" is of no consequence. Sleeping around, especially when you're in a position of power, is wrong.

I'm not so sure why you're so bothered with what I think. You should look into getting your own life.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
Default #1 - It might have been adultery, but it wasn't adultery-adultery.

Top Ten Excuses for Letterman's Adulterous Behavior:

10.) I learned everything I needed to know from Governor Mark Sanford.
9.) If you met my wife, you'd be fooling around with staffers, too.
8.) I was just doing research for a documentary about Bill Clinton.
7.) But they were the size of canned hams!
6.) You probably didn't realize that smarmy is an aphrodisiac.
5.) There is no truth to the rumor that I had my staffers assume that "slutty flight attendant look."
4.) It wasn't really me, it was my wily alter-ego, Shag-boy.
3.) Have you seen the ratings Conan has been getting?
2.) It's not like I'm Roman Polanski or something.
1.) And the number one excuse for David Letterman's adulterous behavior:

It might have been adultery, but it wasn't adultery-adultery.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:46 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Letterman admits affairs, claims extortion - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tv_letterman_extortion - broken link)

Well, well. David Letterman moves up to the big leagues. Guess he better issue an apology to the Gov. of South Carolina. He hammered away at him a few months ago.
I really do not like his humor howqever he is a TV host. Turn him off write his sponsors.
Imagine a TV host with a sex scandal, I hope we do not have to see a sex tape

Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
We are comparing a person in the entertainment industry to a governor of a state? Letterman is a creep but so are most Hollywood celebrities. Seriously, how is this suprising or thread-worthy. What celebrity hasn't cheated on his wife or gotten a divorce. The celebrity marriages that do last are the suprising ones.

The reason the South Carolina governor was attacked did deserve headlines for several reasons

1. He was a future and legitimate Republican Presidential candidate and considered by many to be the front runner in 2012

2. He was one of those politicians that preached family values

3. His affair was just odd and irresponsible. He left the country, many didn't know he left the country and were questioning his whereabouts. It was just strange

4. His press conference was odd. He didn't just come out and admit he had an affair. I watched the entire thing. It took him nearly 15 minutes before he said he was having an affair and he didn't just spit it out and say it in a simple coherent sentence. He kept rambling about this woman and his friendship with her to rationalize it and attempt to get public sympathy but it did the opposite and made him look more dishonest.

I'm a Republican but we have to keep it real guys. I'm an equal opportunity offender. The South Carolina governor was just a joke. His situation
was worse than Letterman's. I don't like Letterman and I thought he was harsh about Palin's daughter but SC Governor's situation was ridiculous

Old 10-02-2009, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 7,237 times
Hopefully, he will be able to accept the jokes from Jay Leno

Old 10-02-2009, 02:17 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've never really liked Letterman, and have said so in the Entertainment forum many times.

He's always been snarky with his comments, an arrogant yuppie to the max. He speaks so quickly and repeats his words so often that it's downright annoying to watch him.

Half of his "humor" is not humorous at all, like when he says he's got Lance Armstrong on the show and out comes from fat dork on a bicycle who rides up the aisle and out the door. Then there's the so-called disgruntled employees who come out to shout obscenities and give him the finger. Worst of all was when he used to have that Asian woman come out with a cup of tea for him and he'd ignore her. None of that schtick ever made sense or seemed funny to me.

I didn't like the way he went after Palin's daughter, that was downright vicious, but is in keeping with the sort of razor's edge, bitter nastiness that many of his comments embody. He obviously lacks a moral compass and kicks those who are down.

I wish CBS would dump his show, which it buys from Worldwide Pants, Inc, a company Letterman owns, meaning that CBS doesn't seem liable for any sexual harassment lawsuits. As owner of the Worldwide Pants, Letterman deals from a position of power relative to any female employees, and seems a slam dunk, tailor-made situation for harassment lawsuits.

There are so many good talents out there to choose from. Chelsea Handler seems to have the stage presence to pull it off as a late night host, so does Billy Crystal, Jerry Seinfeld, Bette Midler, and many more we could name.

Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end of his show. Can't happen soon enough for me.
I don't understand this last bit. You don't like his show, you don't get his brand of humor. Fine. But why does it bother you that he has a show? Don't turn it on! Watch or do something else! It doesn't bother me that something like "Most Eligible Bachelor" or whatever is on, despite my thinking it's crap.

I've met a lot of people - usually midwesterners - who didn't like Letterman's show even back in the 80's - either they were baffled, or they viscerally hated him for his snark. Letterman's schtick is anti-humor, which is not everyone's taste. Some people get really offended if someone is not straight-up and their behavior seems indecipherable. We expect, as social creatures, that others act in good faith and mean what they say. Letterman subverts all that. Maybe he says something in earnest at a given moment - or maybe it's really a skewering - the fact it's hard to tell makes some people antagonistic towards him.

I happen to love all the examples you gave. True, he could over-use them, but that repetition is also part of the gag.

And he's actually, from all accounts, really a nice guy. I remember Charlie Rose singing his praises to someone else.

(Just now I clicked the link here on CD to Dave at Taco Bell -- classic!)

Last edited by robbobobbo; 10-02-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Azriver - you discount the fact that we place politicians and entertainers in the same category in our country. I simply noted the hypocrisy of the mouthpiece for the left engaging in the same behavior he condemned the entire GOP for. Sanford is no more reflective of all republican behavior than letterman is of democrats behavior.

How ironic that there are numerous comments about limbaugh's drug use despite the fact that he is no more a politician than letterman.

Consistency and fairness are the keys to long term success and respect. Sanford was wrong. Letterman was wrong. Letterman reaches millions each night. Before his affair most americans Had never heard of Sanford.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Letterman admits affairs, claims extortion - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tv_letterman_extortion - broken link)

Well, well. David Letterman moves up to the big leagues. Guess he better issue an apology to the Gov. of South Carolina. He hammered away at him a few months ago.

the hacks always get found out
what a scumb while he cracks jokes at everyone else
complete butthead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies