Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times

Advertisements

Eddie Ho, add me to your list grateful admirers! Good luck with your rehab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
for an S M R T liberal you sure missed the joke.....

France:
Stinky Cheese = Brie

Gassy Wine = champaign
geez
I think you meant Champagne and if you want to use an example of a pungent cheese, I wouldn't use Brie. There are far more "stinkier" cheeses than that.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Here's a list of uninhabited islands, in case y'all haven't seen it:

Category:Uninhabited islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Morgandy View Post
This will be determined by the citizens once they have raised enough funds to purchase a suitable piece of land (or if they get lucky enough to get a land donation from someone).

We have looked at possible sites in Vermont, Michigan, and Colorado as well as a couple of outlaying islands that have potential but this will be a group decision once we have enough funds to break ground.

Ideally, I think it would be nice to find a piece of land that already has a little bed and breakfast or an old campus or other such facility already on it to serve as a base of operations while getting the housing in place but that would just depend on what is available and how much Zandrovia is able to raise.
Try any of those states and try not allowing guns and it'll go over like, well, it won't go over so well...

This really is just a tiny secession movement ain't it? Instead of a state, a tiny part of it...

I like the idea of a micro-nation being formed somewhere, but I want a libertarian country...

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
Indian Nations (Reservations), are sovereign territories. They do not pay taxes to the US and are not subject to our national laws. Also, from what I understand, Amish communities have a somewhat limited version of a sovereign nation.

That's not to say that a micronation stands a snowball's chance in hell of getting sovereign status, though. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the snowball making it through hell.

While I respectfully agree, a native american nation is sovereign. But again, if there's something there that benefits the gubmint, directly, or indirectly, they will find a way to circumvent that sovereignty. They'll be made an offer they cannot refuse. If they dont want the cash being offered for a "buyout"? There's several other ways that issue can be approached....

Think you'll find a native american that will argue that point? That precedent was etched in stone over a century ago.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM

This whole thing, BTW, reminds me of the Mouse that Roared...

Old 10-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
While I respectfully agree, a native american nation is sovereign. But again, if there's something there that benefits the gubmint, directly, or indirectly, they will find a way to circumvent that sovereignty. They'll be made an offer they cannot refuse. If they dont want the cash being offered for a "buyout"? There's several other ways that issue can be approached....

Think you'll find a native american that will argue that point? That precedent was etched in stone over a century ago.
The Native Americans on their reservations can withdraw from all treaties and form their independent countries, however, the feds have made sure those who are in the positions to do it officially (and therefore make it recognized), are all puppets, and addicted to federal money.

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I think you meant Champagne and if you want to use an example of a pungent cheese, I wouldn't use Brie. There are far more "stinkier" cheeses than that.
thanks for the spelling tip.

I like Brie. put it in a puff pastry with some brown suger and walnuts and bake it. wow.... good stuff.

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Try any of those states and try not allowing guns and it'll go over like, well, it won't go over so well...

This really is just a tiny secession movement ain't it? Instead of a state, a tiny part of it...

I like the idea of a micro-nation being formed somewhere, but I want a libertarian country...
I like the island idea.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I like the island idea.

Life on an island, is an easy thing to starve out of existence. Unless you have a huge naval presence to ensure open sea lane to and from it. A quick look at the history of the UK is an easy way to demonstrate this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies