Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Ok. That's fine. However, the government works for the people and celebrating something that a majority of the people believe in by putting a symbol on the grounds of that entity isn't meant to convert anyone or establish anything. It's just a symbol.

Look, I'm not saying that they should be FORCED to do it. In fact, it probably is best not too. I am just calling out those that are so against seeing a lit-up symbol on the library's steps that they feel the need to cry about how it's offensive and illegal and should be taken down.

Speeding is illegal, and will kill you as well. Complain about that.
I would never complain about speeding. It would be horribly hypocritical, because I confess to being one of the worst drivers I know.

But public property is neutral territory. The Bill of Rights is an integral part of the Constitution, and those rights aren't there to protect a majority that has little need of protection. It's to protect a minority, whose interests and rights would be run over roughshod by a careless majority.

Personally, I think many religious displays are quite lovely. But when the government doesn't maintain neutrality, it leads to problems. A few years ago there was a sheriff in an Arkansas county who required people the county arrested to fill out questionaires, for the sheriff's personal information. The questionaires contained detailed questions about people's religious beliefs and practices, and became part of their arrest record, public arrest record. In order to get released from jail, you were compelled to read The Ten Commandments and sign an affidavit attesting to that. After being threatened with several lawsuits he ceased the practice, but hundreds of people had their civil rights violated by this sheriff, who was quite popular with the majority of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 05:39 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyT View Post
I believe that "atheism" just provides cover for bigots. If they really didn't care about God, then they wouldn't care to hate Christmas so much. It's that simple. I don't believe in worshiping Michael Jackson, Madonna or U2 and when they have their annual concerts, I could care less. I certainly don't go out of my way to hate or attack their fans for their beliefs or attitudes, or say they shouldn't be allowed to exist in public. A true atheist wouldn't even care about Christmas.

The NFL and MLB are more intrusive on American life than is Christmas.
Firstly, thanks to commercialization, by Christians mind you, Christmas has evolved into a secular holiday that some Americans appl religious values to.

The Christmas that atheists, and we non-Abrahamics, celebrate with our family and friends is completely and absolutely secular.

And I would't exactly preach about hatred in others when speaking from the pulpit of a religion that sees it's worshipeprs demonizing ahderents of other sects of your own religion.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
The minute you mention your faux-outrage about symbols being shown in public, your "argument" loses its meaning as well.
faux outrage? I'm not outraged in the least bit.

Oh, and I've worked many, many christmases, most without any sort of holiday pay.

And my library AND courthouse have zero mention of any religions...

Quote:
Pagan or not, many of these symbols are held in high regard by Christians as opposed to Rudolph, Santa, or Frosty which is apparently more acceptable by your lot. I don't understand how Christians are forcing anyone to partake in their religion (other than getting a paid day off).
Rudolph, Santa and Frosty are general, neutral symbols of the holiday season so I have zero problem with them. I don't CARE if you put up 15 life size nativity scenes on your private property, the churches around where I live certainly do that, and more. Do I care?? Nope. It's their property to do with as they wish.

Keep it off of public property. Like I said...why isn't your yard, your church, your private schools, your Universities etc. enough for you? There's a ton of private land to utilize, leave the public land for the public, who may have a plethora of different beliefs.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
My favorite day of the year is April 23 which is the feast of St George. I love flying that flag on my car even if it is considered un-PC simply because it was used during the Crusades.lol

Old 11-22-2009, 05:00 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
My favorite day of the year is April 23 which is the feast of St George. I love flying that flag on my car even if it is considered un-PC simply because it was used during the Crusades.lol
It's considered un-PC? By whom? Since when?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:41 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It's considered un-PC? By whom? Since when?
Its considered un-PC by PC Nazis who don't want to offend Muslims. A school in Orange County, CA had to change the name of their football team, the "Crusaders" because Muslims at the school said it was offensive.:-(

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
This "war on Christmas" stuff is getting ridiculous! Most of those I have listed as 'friends' on facebook are related to me. My nephew's wife changed her greeting on her facebook page this morning from 'happy turkey day' to 'happy holidays'. A niece of mine then commented - 'you have to say "Merry Christmas" ' Ticked me off and I posted back 'the first time anyone tries to tell me I "must" or "have to" say anything, that one will hear from me in words of MY choosing several times a day'. When crap like this begins to disrupt families, it's going too far.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The clerk at the JCPenny catalog department wished me a "merry christmas" today so all you christmas snobs should go shop there. I was already walking away and she sounded kind of hurt that I hadn't wished her anything before I left. But it's only December 2, and I was picking up some towels I ordered. I don't get into holiday-mode until at least December 12.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Many of my neighbors put their Christmas decorations up Thanksgiving night. You can read in the street from the twinkling icicles and glowing inflatable Santas.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
This "war on Christmas" stuff is getting ridiculous! Most of those I have listed as 'friends' on facebook are related to me. My nephew's wife changed her greeting on her facebook page this morning from 'happy turkey day' to 'happy holidays'. A niece of mine then commented - 'you have to say "Merry Christmas" ' Ticked me off and I posted back 'the first time anyone tries to tell me I "must" or "have to" say anything, that one will hear from me in words of MY choosing several times a day'. When crap like this begins to disrupt families, it's going too far.
Why did that tick you off? If that's all it takes to disrupt your family you wouldn't last an hour in mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The clerk at the JCPenny catalog department wished me a "merry christmas" today so all you christmas snobs should go shop there. I was already walking away and she sounded kind of hurt that I hadn't wished her anything before I left. But it's only December 2, and I was picking up some towels I ordered. I don't get into holiday-mode until at least December 12.
You could have at least said "have a nice day"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies