Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispanola View Post
Please post all anti-Christmas conduct and hate on this thread.

It's starting:

Why can't non-Christians just let the Christians have their holiday in peace? Why do so many people have hate? Does anyone make demands of Jews on Yom Kippur? Muslims on Ramadan?

Memo to bigots: Let us celebrate our holiday. Christmas involves Jesus Christ by definition.
I'm sorry but this is an ignorant and stupid post. Christmas is imposed on our country more than any other holliday. I don't see schools closing for Ramadan, Diwali or Yom Kippur. I don't see Ramadan cartoons on television. I don't have a problem with this and Christmas is as much an American holliday that a person of any faith can celebrate. I love Christmas. That being said, I think it's quite ignorant and insensitive to accuse people of other faiths for putting down Christmas when the reality is they have tolerated it for decades. Try putting yourselves in their position. Imagine if you raise your child to be Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim or Jewish in a country that celebrates Christmas on a national scale. They almost have to buy a Christmas tree and provide their kids gifts just so they can fit in with the other kids.

I see things differently. In the past, our country didn't really give a crap about people of other faiths regardless of what was officially said about freedom of religion. I feel in the last 20 years, the country has made more of an effort to respect people of other faiths and not have Christianity imposed on others. I don't see it as an attack on Christianity but a respect for America as a country that honors and embraces all faiths and not just Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
The idea that we have some sort of war on Christmas is utterly insane. O'Reilly was a proven liar on this. Btw I am Catholic and celebrate Christmas.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Celebrate all you want - in your home, in your private schools, in your churches - anyplace that is private property. Government-owned property is the wrong place for religious symbols.

We all take notice that the cowardly liberals only attack Christian symbols. Try that crap with muslims.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-08-2009 at 04:06 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispanola View Post
Please post all anti-Christmas conduct and hate on this thread.

It's starting:

Why can't non-Christians just let the Christians have their holiday in peace? Why do so many people have hate? Does anyone make demands of Jews on Yom Kippur? Muslims on Ramadan?

Memo to bigots: Let us celebrate our holiday. Christmas involves Jesus Christ by definition.
According to a recent report, the U.S. Forest Service has banned Jesus from among the 4,000 decorations being assembled by Arizona children to decorate an 85-foot blue spruce from the state that is scheduled to become the Capitol Christmas Tree.

Someone should organize everyone to wear religious articals or carry pictures of Jesus. Flood the place with them. The left fights against anything that represents what is good and decent in an attempt to bring others down to their level.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:25 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
According to a recent report, the U.S. Forest Service has banned Jesus from among the 4,000 decorations being assembled by Arizona children to decorate an 85-foot blue spruce from the state that is scheduled to become the Capitol Christmas Tree.

Someone should organize everyone to wear religious articals or carry pictures of Jesus. Flood the place with them. The left fights against anything that represents what is good and decent in an attempt to bring others down to their level.
I think they should all wear Jesus masks too. That'll show them!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
I just know if large pictures of Ganesh were plastered on walls in downtown Phoenix during Diwali, I know a few Evangelical groups and good ole boys would have a problem with that and would probably protest violently: "Dayam, whad da heyell is this elephant dude with all these arms plastered all over ma city. These people can go back to Iraq or wherever theyre from"

Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Looky looky what I found.....

"Forest Service forbids 'religious themes' on 5,000 decorations recognizing holiday"

So there will be no religous themes or symbols at all, probably becasue they wanted to avoid a religious battle. But noooooooooo ....

Why can't Christians just let people alone?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:37 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The idea that we have some sort of war on Christmas is utterly insane. O'Reilly was a proven liar on this. Btw I am Catholic and celebrate Christmas.
O'Reilly a Liar for what??? He always tells the truth! State your facts before confronting a genius.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Christmas began in America in spite of the puritan Christians. Many people partied during "christmas" time in those days, but the devoted church-goers felt it should be somber instead. Eventually, it was adopted as a Christian holiday so the churches could recruit more party-goers into the congregation. It also has some correlation to the winter solstice, a pagan ritual (and we all know, or should know, that practically every christian tradition is really a bastardized pagan tradition)

The only things I really object to about Christmas, as an atheist, are the name and the fabricated background lore (e.g. Jesus' birth). I don't mind having the day off, though, except it would be better if it was always on a thursday like thanksgiving, encouraging friday off and thus a 4-day weekend.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
O'Reilly a Liar for what??? He always tells the truth! State your facts before confronting a genius.
Exactly. O'Reilly was actually proven right, which is the opposite of being a liar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies