Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,720,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is a stereotype that even if once perhaps partially true is less and less so with each passing year. More and more, the face of the Democratic Party is that of the not necessarily white, well-educated, savvy, up-and-coming, forward-looking, well-to-do, urban or suburban professional, and there is nothing looming out there that is going to be reversing that trend any time soon.
This is a good point. I think both parties have their wealthier branch and their poorer branch, but to me the future of the Democratic Party lies in what you describe above and the present party is shifting that way en masse.

it's not a union/welfare party anymore but, as you say, a very progressive, educated, cosmopolitan base that values sustainable energy and quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,535,353 times
I have read all the opinions, and posts. Some really great. Now one thing I do know, I liked Chaney. I thought he was a smart guy. I liked Chaney better than Bush. He was not too public and or a friendly person but he was a thinking man.

To some of the points here I do agree!

By the way what is a blue dog actually???

Thanks all and dont slam me for the Chaney comment. I was not a Bush fan.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,313,274 times
From Wikipedia:

The Democratic Blue Dog Coalition is a group of currently 52 moderate and conservative Democratic Party members of the United States House of Representatives, first formed in 1995.[1][2] The Blue Dog Coalition describes itself[3] as a group of moderate-to-conservative Democrats committed to financial and national security, favoring compromise and bipartisanship over ideology and party discipline. In 2006, Blue Dog candidates such as Heath Shuler and Brad Ellsworth were elected in conservative-leaning districts, ending years of Republican dominance in these areas.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:06 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,504,200 times
Running out in a couple minutes so don't have enough time, but the fact that 3/4 of the Senators in the GOP voted AGAINST the recent Fraken Amendment speaks volumes

Old 10-17-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I have read all the opinions, and posts. Some really great. Now one thing I do know, I liked Chaney. I thought he was a smart guy. I liked Chaney better than Bush. He was not too public and or a friendly person but he was a thinking man.

To some of the points here I do agree!

By the way what is a blue dog actually???

Thanks all and dont slam me for the Chaney comment. I was not a Bush fan.
With all due respect, how much could you have known about his views if you can't spell his name?

I really don't intend that to be mean, but he had some really radical views and one would have had to do some extensive reading to understand him. For example, he actually voted to keep Nelson Mandella in prison when he was in Congress.

That's just unforgivable to me and representative of why I can't support the Republican Party, even though I share many of its values. From supporting gang rape to supporting apartheid, it's a party whose values I just don't understand.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:14 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,450,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post

...Many times republicans feel a lot of liberals tend to be people with less money, maybe not as hard working, and have less to lose then a Republican.
The bolded part is the problem. Republicans may feel that, but it isn't a reflection of reality. Democrats have overtaken Republicans as the party with the wealthiest members. And although it's anecdotal, every wealthy Democrat I know, would gladly pay a little more in taxes for the betterment of this country and their fellow citizens. It's a mindset that isn't shared by the Republicans, and one of the reasons I find them so deplorable. (And keep in mind, I'm not talking about individuals here, I'm talking about the Party overall).
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841

This is like my 3rd day on this forum, and I got sidetracked into this political section today for the first time. there seems to be some extremely reasonable people in this thread who respect eeachothers opinions. I wish the rest of the country acted like this.
You may have spoken a little too soon...
I was just thinking the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

It would be nice if conservatives fought to conserve something once in a while.
THIS! The "Conservatives" fight conservation with every fiber of their being. And the party faithful get right in line because their party leaders have told them that this is how they should feel about these issues. And the party leaders do that because that stance increases their wealth. They have a vested interest in being anti-conservation, so they come up with arguments against it that they know they can sell, and it works. It's that way with environmental conservation, as well as corporate regulation. Yet we're the bad guys. I just don't get it.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
They have a vested interest in being anti-conservation, so they come up with arguments against it that they know they can sell, and it works. It's that way with environmental conservation, as well as corporate regulation. Yet we're the bad guys. I just don't get it.
Well, if you look throughout history, it's always had to be the progressives who get portrayed as the "bad guys" by the status quo, yet after all is said and done they are always the good guys - the ones who were, ultimately, morally and often economically right. (I'm not talking liberalism here, just progressivism which is currently housed in the liberal party, for no necessary reason).

Think of it - the people (Republican Party, actually) fighting slavery were "redistributing" wealth away from the landowners and into the hands of the people who were their property. They - whites and blacks - risked their lives to enact that freedom from the ruling class. Same thing happened with women's suffrage and worker rights and civil rights and conservation and now homosexuality.

It's just the price you pay for progress against an entrenched status quo, be it one that wants to own people or pay $2 a day or keep women as second class citizens. People will always hold onto what they have if they are not ready to change, and the Republican Party has found a strong base in that.

They can elicit a great deal of hyperbolic fear to keep that base strong, but humanity has always progressed beyond it.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:34 PM

38,034 posts, read 22,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz affair View Post
They have basically stood for nothing since 1912.
...and the democratic party has stood for "government control is the answer to all our problems."

Being a democrat politician is easy, you find someone who is experiencing any form of anxiety in their life, and you promise to create a new taxpayer funded program to assuage it, then ask for them to vote for you and your promise to make all their cares go away. And if a republican admonishes you for creating yet another taxpayer give-away program, you demonize them as being heartless and cruel.

The current Republican Party believes in taking care of fellow Americans who are very poor, those unable to care for themselves, and in offering incentive programs to allow people to lift themselves out of poverty, or to assist people who are experiencing temporary short comings. Republicans also are in favor of some big government social programs, like the recent Medicare prescription drug program.

My problem with democrats is that they need an ever expanding portion of the American people with their hands out, wanting for free stuff from the Democratic Party. Anyone who disagrees with this never ending taxpayer money give-away scam, is publicly vilified, and pilloried. Democrats are not satisfied with taking care of the poor and the down and out, they are forever on a quest to find any excuse to include more, and more people in a government program. Their mantra is "Vote for us, we'll give you free stuff."

Old 10-17-2009, 05:45 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,313,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
...and the democratic party has stood for "government control is the answer to all our problems."

Being a democrat politician is easy, you find someone who is experiencing any form of anxiety in their life, and you promise to create a new taxpayer funded program to assuage it, then ask for them to vote for you and your promise to make all their cares go away. And if a republican admonishes you for creating yet another taxpayer give-away program, you demonize them as being heartless and cruel.

The current Republican Party believes in taking care of fellow Americans who are very poor, those unable to care for themselves, and in offering incentive programs to allow people to lift themselves out of poverty, or to assist people who are experiencing temporary short comings. Republicans also are in favor of some big government social programs, like the recent Medicare prescription drug program.

My problem with democrats is that they need an ever expanding portion of the American people with their hands out, wanting for free stuff from the Democratic Party. Anyone who disagrees with this never ending taxpayer money give-away scam, is publicly vilified, and pilloried. Democrats are not satisfied with taking care of the poor and the down and out, they are forever on a quest to find any excuse to include more, and more people in a government program. Their mantra is "Vote for us, we'll give you free stuff."

As a republican, I believe in EMPOWERING Americans. I would much rather give a less fortunate American a college grant and a housing/food stipend while earning a degree and maintaining a good GPA before I gave them a cent of welfare.

Americans need to stop with this sense of entitlement crap and earn their own way. I feel the the Democrats are for entitlement rather then empowerment.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:58 PM

38,034 posts, read 22,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
As a republican, I believe in EMPOWERING Americans. I would much rather give a less fortunate American a college grant and a housing/food stipend while earning a degree and maintaining a good GPA before I gave them a cent of welfare.

Americans need to stop with this sense of entitlement crap and earn their own way. I feel the the Democrats are for entitlement rather then empowerment.
You believe in offering an incentive to those who can better themselves, so that one day they will self sufficient on not need any reliance on a government handout.

Its not that democrats do not also believe in offering people a helping hand, but they are fat dumb and happy if those people are forever dependent on the government for a hand out. To you and me its not healthy for perfectly able bodied people to wallow up to their necks in a state of perpetual poverty their entire lives, subsisting off the largess of the American taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies