Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times

Advertisements

Well she was just found so she is safe. The yacht was upright which makes me think she was not emotionally prepared to handle such a feat. The beacons were suppose to be deployed if she was no longer in the boat. seems she panicked a bit. Oh well guess I'd rather the news be about her being safe than about a useless war.
I'm not sure why her parents would have bank rolled such a fiasco for an under prepared girl. spoiled comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well she was just found so she is safe. The yacht was upright which makes me think she was not emotionally prepared to handle such a feat. The beacons were suppose to be deployed if she was no longer in the boat. seems she panicked a bit. Oh well guess I'd rather the news be about her being safe than about a useless war.
I'm not sure why her parents would have bank rolled such a fiasco for an under prepared girl. spoiled comes to mind.
She lost her mast - she was not under sail - she was adrift.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
That's not adventure! That's foolish! What part about her being alone and 16 do you not understand?? Oh....and female!!
16 is old enough to know what you are doing if you have been sailing all your life. I was sailing in the lake I lived on at age 5. At 7 I was sailing by myself in Biscayne Bay off Miami. I am certain I could sail a GPS-equipped, satellite-equipped boat around the world by age 16. I do think that the drive to beat the world record led to her making the wrong decision to go through the Indian Ocean during Wintertime and that is why she got in to trouble. That poor decision had nothing to do with age though. It had to do with the overwhelming desire to be somwhere before a certain time. Drivers, pilots, and others -- all adults-- make the same mistake all the time and end up getting in to trouble.
Now that she will not be able to break the world record for age I am sure her next attempt will succeed.
Another thing people: Enough of the rubbish about hoping her family pays the rescue costs. THAT'S WHAT THE RESCUE SERVICES ARE THERE FOR! You don't have to pay for the police when you call 911. You don't have to pay for the fire department when you house is burning down.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I agree with rogerbacon. Rescuing sailors that have run afoul of the sea is what they do. It does not matter if the sailor is a ancient mariner or a young adventurer. The Southern Ocean almost got another sailor. I am pleased she was rescued.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I seriously doubt she was in an area with pirates. It would be a long detour for her to have gone anywhere near Somalia.

you think somalia is the only place with pirates.??? it's a very big ocean, drug runners look to seize boats for drug runs.. or just rob,rape the ocupants and throw them overboard..

washingtonpost.com

Modern Pirates Plague South America Too – Travelojos (http://travelojos.com/2009/04/modern-pirates-plague-south-america-too/ - broken link)

Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
If she were a young man most of you would be praising her to high heaven.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If she were a young man most of you would be praising her to high heaven.

No! That is a minor!!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
No! That is a minor!!
"Minor", meaning under 18, is a realtively modern invention. For most of history 16 has been considered adult. Alexander the Great was leading the Macedonian army at 16. I guess you think his parents were irresponsible as well.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
you think somalia is the only place with pirates.??? it's a very big ocean, drug runners look to seize boats for drug runs.. or just rob,rape the ocupants and throw them overboard..

washingtonpost.com

Modern Pirates Plague South America Too – Travelojos (http://travelojos.com/2009/04/modern-pirates-plague-south-america-too/ - broken link)
That was in response to Indian Ocean pirates which the quote was referring to. I'm guessing her route didn't follow well traveled sea lanes so for the most part, pirates wouldn't be a factor. In fact, if you look at her planned route, she doesn't travel through any areas known for pirate activity. Give them some credit for taking pirates into account.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Quote:
Australian taxpayers to pay for US teen sailor Abby Sunderland's ocean rescue
news.com.au ^ 13th June 2010

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:41:43 AM by
]naturalman1975

THE Rudd Government has confirmed Australia can't seek to recover the cost of rescuing US teen sailor Abby Sunderland after her boat was demasted in the Indian Ocean.

Abby, 16, is now on the French fishing vessel Ile De La Reunion, which is heading to the French archipelago Kerguelen Islands.
Transport Minister Anthony Albanese says Australia couldn't send Abby and her backers a bill even if it wanted too.

"That's not the way the law works," he told Channel 10.
"The Australian taxpayer at the end of the day makes a contribution.
"But we have to put this in context - if there was an Australian lost at sea we would want ... every effort to be made to save that person."
A chartered Qantas plane was sent from Perth early on Friday to search for Abby about 3700km off the coast of Western Australia.
It located her 12m yacht, Wild Eyes, that afternoon. It's been reported the Qantas charter cost $10,000 an hour. Mr Albanese said the episode proved Australia was a world leader in search and rescue.

(Excerpt) Read more at
news.com.au ...
Well.....no lesson learned. And they will probably do this stupid crap again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies