Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times

Advertisements

I totally agree! Geez....I watch my daughter at the bus stop for school!! Who heck lets a girl do this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:34 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfles View Post
what a complete dumbass who has absolutely no respect for the seas. When you lose respect for it, it eats you. What a dumb ass. I hope she has to pay the rescue bill for her stunt.
That's a pretty bold statement considering the fact you've got no idea what actually had happened to her at this point.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 PM

206 posts, read 193,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
That's a pretty bold statement considering the fact you've got no idea what actually had happened to her at this point.
I don't care what happened to her. She was stupid, I mean STUPID enough to try it, she get's what she asked for. It's time for people to stop feeling sorry for the dumb, they make their own choices and have to live with them.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I'm not sure why this thread was bumped... these were actually two different teenage girls. The first one (mentioned in the OP) actually did circumnavigate the world successfully.

The second one (the one who is missing) wasn't as successful.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I'm not sure why this thread was bumped... these were actually two different teenage girls. The first one (mentioned in the OP) actually did circumnavigate the world successfully.

The second one (the one who is missing) wasn't as successful.
Thanks for pointing out the confusion, but to clear things up a bit, she didn't really circumvent the globe, she took shortcuts that now makes her ineligible for any world record and ineligible to claim that she actually sailed around the world. I give her credit for doing what she did though.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfles View Post
I don't care what happened to her. She was stupid, I mean STUPID enough to try it, she get's what she asked for. It's time for people to stop feeling sorry for the dumb, they make their own choices and have to live with them.
So people who take chances now are "stupid"? We used to think of those people as "daring", "adventurous", and "brave". Your attitude shows why America is no longer a nation of do-it-yourselfers but instead a nation of crybabies waiting for nanny government to do everything for them.
Her brother completed the trip when he was 17. She's probably had a lot of sailing experience and she had modern safety and navigation equipement. She took a calculated risk for her sport and I applaud her for it. Even if she dies at least she died DOING SOMETHING. How many panzies just sit around talking and not doing?

Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
So people who take chances now are "stupid"? We used to think of those people as "daring", "adventurous", and "brave". Your attitude shows why America is no longer a nation of do-it-yourselfers but instead a nation of crybabies waiting for nanny government to do everything for them.
Her brother completed the trip when he was 17. She's probably had a lot of sailing experience and she had modern safety and navigation equipement. She took a calculated risk for her sport and I applaud her for it. Even if she dies at least she died DOING SOMETHING. How many panzies just sit around talking and not doing?
Yes, at 16 that is stupid and anyone who makes it at that age is just purely lucky. Besides, going alone is one of the dumbest things to you could ever do. You want to call it daring, fine, I'll call it stupid.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:28 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

No...not people who take chances! Just people who do this kinda stuff!! This ain't a space flight! This was 16 year old girl in the frikkin' Somali pirate infested waters of the Indian Ocean!!

So let me ask you this? SHOULD THEY GO LOOKING FOR HER?? I mean really....now rescue workers have gotta fly around looking for her. There's a chance for them to die in some accident that didn't have to happen!

If she takes the risk for something this foolish, I say no one goes out looking. She's gone. Her parents need to go out looking.....no one else! Especially tax payer help.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I hope and pray she is found - safe and healthy.

This young lady has a lot of "guts".

Old 06-10-2010, 02:47 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
I certainly hope to hear this girl is safe and sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies