Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Laugh away. How do you know what they are writing, and how do you know it wouldn't throw off the government books?
Throw off the government books;how that is a good one. Or where you actaully serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,490,368 times
Quote:
I remember Warren Buffet saying the same thing in US. I don't think I agree with their approach, but I must admit they truly want to help their countries and are ready to sacrifice.

Rich Germans demand higher taxes

BBC NEWS | Europe | Rich Germans demand higher taxes

A group of rich Germans has launched a petition calling for the government to make wealthy people pay higher taxes.
The group say they have more money than they need, and the extra revenue could fund economic and social programmes to aid Germany's economic recovery.

Germany could raise 100bn euros if the richest people paid a 5% wealth tax for two years, they say.

Out of 80 m Germans,44 persons who are nutcases signed a petition...

Who cares ?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:26 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
I remember Warren Buffet saying the same thing in US. I don't think I agree with their approach, but I must admit they truly want to help their countries and are ready to sacrifice.

A group of rich Germans has launched a petition calling for the government to make wealthy people pay higher taxes.
The group say they have more money than they need, and the extra revenue could fund economic and social programmes to aid Germany's economic recovery.

Germany could raise 100bn euros if the richest people paid a 5% wealth tax for two years, they say.

Here's a great article by Thom Hartmann...

The Great Tax Con Job

Republicans are using the T-word -- taxes -- to attack the Obama health care program. It's a strategy based in a lie.

Novelist Larry Beinhart was the first to bring this to my attention. He looked over the history of tax cuts and economic bubbles, and found a clear relationship between the two. High top marginal tax rates (generally well above 60%) on rich people actually stabilize the economy, prevent economic bubbles from forming, prevent economic crashes, and lead to steady and sustained economic growth (and steady and sustained wage growth for working people).

On the other hand, when top marginal rates drop below 50 percent, the opposite happens. As Beinhart noted in a November 17, 2008 post on the Huffington Post, the massive Republican tax cuts of the 1920s (from 73% to 25%) led directly to the Roaring '20s stock market bubble, temporary boom, and then the crash and Republican Great Depression of 1929.

Thom Hartmann: The Great Tax Con Job

Old 10-23-2009, 08:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
I think you heard that at the watercooler and ran with it, because Buffet talks about his personal portfolio quite often (not just his company), and he made a big deal saying he is beefing up his PERSOANAL portfolio with US stocks. And he did. Lately his personal portfolio has been taking a beating, but he sticks to his guns.
His personal portfolio consists of EQUITY in Berkshire Hathaway,

Trust me, I've read dozens of books on Buffet, written by dozens of different inviduals, including one he partnered to write, one by his wife, his daughter in law etc. some flattering, some not so flattering, but you'll have to find him talking about his personal assets OTHER than Hathaway. They all talk about how Buffets total assets are tied up into BRK and about how he setup corporations and went public for the purpose of avoiding taxes, and about how he wont ever sell stocks after they are acquired, even after they've nosedived due to tax consequences..

Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
My question is if the loophole make them reinvest in the industries that creat jobs then why would americans wnt them to pay it to the governamnt. The only reaso i see is to get more free stuff. What i thnik is the problem is too many don't contribute anhting in the end really. They are tatally dependent on government handouts from lack of an skill anyone will pay much for.Buffet could pay nay amount of taxes if he wished and why do you think he nad other do not justy let teh governamnt have the moeny when they die but creat their own foundations asnd charties. Because they know governamnt and its total waste and frud problems.They alos know that lie its help to poverty stricken 80% will go to 20% of poverty based on politics and the 80% will suffer.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My question is if the loophole make them reinvest in the industries that creat jobs then why would americans wnt them to pay it to the governamnt. The only reaso i see is to get more free stuff. What i thnik is the problem is too many don't contribute anhting in the end really. They are tatally dependent on government handouts from lack of an skill anyone will pay much for.Buffet could pay nay amount of taxes if he wished and why do you think he nad other do not justy let teh governamnt have the moeny when they die but creat their own foundations asnd charties. Because they know governamnt and its total waste and frud problems.They alos know that lie its help to poverty stricken 80% will go to 20% of poverty based on politics and the 80% will suffer.
Because its easier to blame rich people for not paying enough, than it is to blame Washington for spending too much.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,319,109 times
The 44 out of the 2.2 million (.002%) who are behind the increase must have heard Biden when he exclaimed "It's patriotic for the wealthy to pay higher taxes".

Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
Quote:

In this particular instance I would say the the uber rich Germans completely kick a$$!!!
If I were a German citizen I would be very proud of my fellow countrymen.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
In this particular instance I would say the the uber rich Germans completely kick a$$!!!
If I were a German citizen I would be very proud of my fellow countrymen.

Here's a paragrah from an article I provided a link to in post #43...

A very small niche of America's uber-wealthy have pulled off what may well be the biggest con job in the history of our republic, and they did it in a startlingly brief 30 or so years. True, they spent over three billion dollars to make it happen, but the reward to them was in the hundreds of billions -- and will continue to be.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:42 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
those types of arguments always make me laugh. nobody is stopping anyone from writing that extra check to the government, yet they still aren't writing it......
Massachusetts, that bastion of liberal high tax programs, had a ballot vote to lower state income tax from 5.85% to 5.0% and it passed by a small margin.

Tagged onto that bill was an option for residents to pay the former higher tax if they wanted to. It is as easy as checking a box on the standard tax return form and sending in the extra money.
Out of more than 3,000,000 individual tax returns filed in the state fy 2008, there were 387 tax filers who opted to pay the higher tax.

I can not even begin to comprehend the hypocrisy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies