Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you, if you had a Choice, Opt out of Social Security
Yes - only if there were no conditions 55 51.40%
Yes - only if I had to contribute to an approved retirement program 4 3.74%
No - I would not Opt Out 44 41.12%
Undecided at this time 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
BTW, I have never worked for anyone else but myself. Well, that is not completely true: I worked the soda fountain at a W.T. Grants when I was in High School. But, other than that, I have always worked for myself.
I thought you said you were once a judge. Would that have been in your own kangaroo court? Or maybe you were a volunteer stroke judge at a swim meet?

Quote:
OBTW - I am a lawyer, and have been a judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Medicare /= Medicaid and they are unrelated.

Medicare is a health care system for seniors paid for by the federal government. You earn the benefit by paying into it. Close to 100% of the working adults in the USA are on this program once they hit age 65. It offers huge benefits due to the fac the federal government pays and thus has the clout to negotiate huge rate discounts.

Medicaid is a health care system given to poor people. Think unwed mothers with a bunch of kids and no job. Totally different. It's similar to welfare and food stamps.
I never said anything about Medicaid. You are correct - totally different.

I am totally and 100% completely responsible for my own health care / health insurance.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I thought you said you were once a judge. Would that have been in your own kangaroo court? Or maybe you were a volunteer stroke judge at a swim meet?
Judge Pro Tem. Superior Court. Per Diem reimbursement only. No witholdings of any kind.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Judge Pro Tem. Superior Court. Per Diem reimbursement only. No witholdings of any kind.
Ah, sort of like a substitute teacher. But how do you call that self-employed?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,173 times
Quote:
If you were given a choice to opt out of Social Security, perhaps on the condition that you contribute to an approved retirement program, that you control what happens with your contributions, would you opt out of Social Security and Medicare?
No I wouldn't opt out.....

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody who thought they could manage their money better, would now be living on less than one percent of their nest-egg per year. So, to have $1,000 a month, your portfolio would have to be in the neighborhood of a million.
You are making a lot of assumptions that people would be 100% invested in the U.S. stock market, or any stock market for that matter.

At a 15% savings rate, it would not be difficult at all to save a million. You could even be conservative with your portfolio and have a 5% return over 30 years with a $100,000 pre-retirement income.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Getting something would be much better than getting nothing. I won't be able to draw until after 2040, and by then the costs are forcasted to exceed the entire budget of the federal government.
No, they aren't. Even under the pessimistic assumptions of the SS Trustees, SS will be able to pay every dime of scheduled benefits through 2037. CBO makes it about a decade after that. Either way, and even if we do absolutley nothing about it by then, SS would then be able to pay 73-75% of scheduled benefits all but indefinitely. Because of the way benefits are calculated, 75% of benefits then would actually be worth more than what 100% of benefits is worth today.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,216,343 times
Quote:
I never said anything about Medicaid. You are correct - totally different.

I am totally and 100% completely responsible for my own health care / health insurance.
Never said you did, my post was not in reference to anything you posted. Maybe it would help if you had read the post right in front of the one you quoted.

Now that you have decided to gain my attention however I will say this about what you posted. While you say that you are 100% responsible for your health care/insurance, which is commendable, but it is irrelevant to the point at hand. If you fail in this assumed responsibility then you automatically become a ward of the state and so it is reasonable to assume the state will take precautions in this regard. The state has granted itself the authority to require payments into both social insurance programs (health & income) in order to protect everyone.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Well it won't really matter for me. It'll be bankrupt by the time I could ever see anything I've paid into it.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well it won't really matter for me. It'll be bankrupt by the time I could ever see anything I've paid into it.
Not if we remove the cap from the wage tax allowing the rich to contribute like the rest of us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies