Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you, if you had a Choice, Opt out of Social Security
Yes - only if there were no conditions 55 51.40%
Yes - only if I had to contribute to an approved retirement program 4 3.74%
No - I would not Opt Out 44 41.12%
Undecided at this time 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
If you could invest it yourself, not only would you likely have far more money, you could give away what is leftover. Because it would be your own money. SS isn't, you die and the money stops. It doesn't matter that you paid in your whole life and you die at 66, your family or your favorite charities don't get the leftovers.
First of all, there aren't any leftovers. SS is not an account that they put money in for you. It's an insurance plan that will pay you X if A, B, and/or C happens.

Second of all, if you die at 66, your current spouse, former spouses, and any dependent children will receive benefits instead of you. If you die instead at 36 when your personal savings would still have been piddly, the same thing is true. You also get substantial free disability insurance coverage over your working career. Nearly 20 million Americans receive either SS survivor or disability checks every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If you were given a choice to opt out of Social Security, perhaps on the condition that you contribute to an approved retirement program, that you control what happens with your contributions, would you opt out of Social Security and Medicare?
Yes, definitely, and get a Health Savings Account as well.

But who will pay for those retirees already on Social Security and Medicare? That's where my contribution goes... to a retiree. This is not a savings account. So, what happens to those retirees?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
The whole idea is ridiculous. At some point and time the realization that the limited earth can only support so many people will come into play. At that point incoming youth will be stifled and the aging population already here will be reaping the benefits of the innovations of capitalism in the medical field. You will not be able to tax enough to keep this utopian idea in check...

Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
I'm already out.. Have been for 8 years in January..
Quote:
I am one of those who was lucky enough to be able to "opt out" of Social
Security when it was much easier to do - just sign a few documents and away you go. You can still Opt out today, but, it is much harder. I opted out over 30 years ago
Or an individual could start a company which has $0 profits at the end of the year on paper, thereby not required to pay into SS..

Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
First of all, there aren't any leftovers. SS is not an account that they put money in for you. It's an insurance plan that will pay you X if A, B, and/or C happens.
thats what richb said, that if they were investing on their own, outside of SS, there indeed would be left overs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
If you could invest it yourself, not only would you likely have far more money, you could give away what is leftover. Because it would be your own money. SS isn't, you die and the money stops. It doesn't matter that you paid in your whole life and you die at 66, your family or your favorite charities don't get the leftovers. What a rip-off if you don't live long. It ends no matter when you pass on whether or not its 66 or 103.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,065 times
I am 27 years old. I am paying into Social Security and am pretty sure I won't see half of what I am paying into, back in my lifetime. I rather take that monthly expenditure and add it into my existing retirement fund. Why should I pay for something I will not reap the full benefit from?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
I am 27 years old. I am paying into Social Security and am pretty sure I won't see half of what I am paying into, back in my lifetime. I rather take that monthly expenditure and add it into my existing retirement fund. Why should I pay for something I will not reap the full benefit from?
The government needs your SS income to cover the $105,882,000,000,000+ they have promised to pay others in unfunded liabilities. U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

The government is so far in the hole, its impossible to recover without breaking promises to pay people back.

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
If you were given a choice to opt out of Social Security, perhaps on the condition that you contribute to an approved retirement program, that you control what happens with your contributions, would you opt out of Social Security and Medicare?
I voted no because at 76 there is little I could do about my condition. Also, my IRA went to hell with the flame out of our financial institutions.

I see that I am with a bunch of people from the left side of things.

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm already out.. Have been for 8 years in January..

Or an individual could start a company which has $0 profits at the end of the year on paper, thereby not required to pay into SS..
Only if you have no employees and pay yourself no salary

Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Maybe if I were 20, but not at this point. Couple things would prevent me from doing it now: #1) I've paid into it my whole life. #2) I hate dealing with money. It's a required evil, I know, but the less I have to screw with it, the better.
I am 21 and thinking I might just opt out. By the time I reach that age, I am willing to bet there will be no social security.

I will probably pay in so much more than get back out.

Keep more money with me to pay off things I need for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies