Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:09 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How did allowing doctors to give out that admission and paying them out of Medicare save money? I never did understand that. However, I made an appointment with a lawyer to take care of my problems so i could refuse to make money for some doctor to give me that info. Isn't that very American of me, trying to save money?
You hired a lawyer to save money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Hey, anyone who thinks that "death counseling" doesn't already exist, hasn't had the sad duty of seeing a loved one through the end of life.

My husband was admitted to the hospital on Oct 17 because he had an infection and very low blood pressure. He had been on dialysis for almost three years. On the evening of the 17th I spoke to him just before he went to sleep at about midnight, he told me not to call in the morning, to let him sleep late, and that he would call me when he woke up. He never woke up. He was discovered to be in a lite coma the next morning and by noon we had put him on a ventilator. It was discovered that his liver had failed, and the ammonia level in his brain had caused a coma. We were told that his prognosis was not good, the best we could expect was to maybe wake him up long enough to take him home to die. We choose to remove all life support, the ventilator, the dialysis, all medications, leaving only hydration, and he died in his sleep on the 20th with no pain. He never knew that he was going to die.

Did his Drs basically hold a death panel with us? Yes they did. It is already a fact of medicine. The decision still rests with the family, the Drs do what is requested but only if the insurance will approve the treatment. This is how it should be done, at least I think so. This way the decision is split between the family, the Drs, and the insurance company, and everyone gets to be heard.

Anyone else out there had to do this lately? How do you feel about it? Do you want the FED making that decision for your family?
Im sorry for your loss, but I think you're confused about this. You're talking about immediate decisions, whether to turn off life support. That's not AT ALL what this is.
... McCaughey said the language can be found on page 425 of the health care bill, so we started there. Indeed, Sec. 1233 of the bill, labeled "Advance Care Planning Consultation" details how the bill would, for the first time, require Medicare to cover the cost of end-of-life counseling sessions.

According to the bill, "such consultation shall include the following: An explanation by the practitioner of advance care planning, including key questions and considerations, important steps, and suggested people to talk to; an explanation by the practitioner of advance directives, including living wills and durable powers of attorney, and their uses; an explanation by the practitioner of the role and responsibilities of a health care proxy."

Medicare will cover one session every five years, the legislation states. If a patient becomes very ill in the interim, Medicare will cover additional sessions.... "This new consultation is just like all in Medicare: it's voluntary."

...[G]eneral counsel and vice president of public policy for the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, which supports the provision, said the bill doesn't encourage seniors to end their lives, it just allows some important counseling for decisions that take time and consideration.

PolitiFact | McCaughey claims end-of-life counseling will be required for Medicare patients
In fact Politifact assesses S Palin's and Betsy McCaughey's claims as "Pants on Fire" lies.
"One problem: None of the bills emerging from various committees includes the kind of “death panel” that Ms. Palin says would be rationing care. It is the kind of mischaracterization that President Obama has complained about, though the White House has had little success in persuading people otherwise."

Sarah Palin Calls Health Care Overhaul ‘Downright Evil’ - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com
Please dont be misled by politicians and others with an agenda, and their cruel "death panel" lies.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:14 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How did allowing doctors to give out that admission and paying them out of Medicare save money? I never did understand that. However, I made an appointment with a lawyer to take care of my problems so i could refuse to make money for some doctor to give me that info. Isn't that very American of me, trying to save money?
Yeah, good idea. Lawyers know all about medical decisions. That's why they went to law school. And who better to help you make informed decision about your medical care than a lawyer. No need to talk to your doctor, just hand him a piece of paper when the time comes.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Please dont be misled by politicians and others with an agenda, and their cruel "death panel" lies.

Please do not be misled by those who would have you believe that the government is here and they are here to help you.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:30 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post

Please do not be misled by those who would have you believe that the government is here and they are here to help you.
Just cant stand those pesky facts, I see.

Why would you defend lies?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Just cant stand those pesky facts, I see.

Why would you defend lies?
The fact is this delusianne, the government is shamefully inept at managing money.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Actually, no they aren't, and this would hardly be related in any case to the defense of outright lies about death panels. Or all that other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies