Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious to know for those who think women should stay out of the workforce, should women then not attend college? If they are not to utilize their education, what would be the point. And if they were not to work once out of high school, who would be financially responsible for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 11:15 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,899,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Disagree, the spousal social security payments would rapidly bankrupt the system.

Working spouses has resulted in significantly enhanced social security funding, without the link to proportionately higher subsequent payouts.

Wrong ! Divorce was seldom an option so no man had to care for 2 or 3 different sets of kids ., jobs were plenty for men and for the women who chose not to have a family . We have many more poor now than we did then .

PS Also we were a happier society ,or music was mostly about romance and love , our kids had respect , our most kids had fathers at home . No we have 500% increase in violence, venerial dease and childhood suicides . Our kids are los without their mothers and fathers .

Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 PM

507 posts, read 679,165 times
Well in my personal society, things would not be better off for me if I were expected to stay home. I don't have the personality for it. I commend the women who enjoy and are fulfilled by their lives as SAHMs. I enjoy and truly appreciate that we now have a choice, and I choose to work.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,250,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Wrong ! Divorce was seldom an option so no man had to care for 2 or 3 different sets of kids ., jobs were plenty for men and for the women who chose not to have a family . We have many more poor now than we did then .

PS Also we were a happier society ,or music was mostly about romance and love , our kids had respect , our most kids had fathers at home . No we have 500% increase in violence, venerial dease and childhood suicides . Our kids are los without their mothers and fathers .
Uh, how can it be incorrect/wrong to state that paying out more in social security, with less income, would speed up the bankruptcy of the system???

Perhaps you have an incomplete understanding of the social security payment process. Basically, if a married couple has one person working and the other staying home, the stay at home spouse gets a monthly payment equal to 50% of that of the working spouse.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,988,843 times
It has. A lot of women are extremely catty and two-faced. I've even seen them gang up and try to oust out other women too. It is crazy!

Women have a right to work and that is fantastic when they do but they need to keep their BS feminism/women are victims and men are dumb pigs mentality out of the work place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some argue that the women's movement has caused more problems than its been worth, even claiming that dual-income families have driven up the cost of living.

What do you think?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,899,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Uh, how can it be incorrect/wrong to state that paying out more in social security, with less income, would speed up the bankruptcy of the system???

Perhaps you have an incomplete understanding of the social security payment process. Basically, if a married couple has one person working and the other staying home, the stay at home spouse gets a monthly payment equal to 50% of that of the working spouse.

So do the kids if something happens to the one who works. Want them to go to work too
?

The family is what bonds society together . Evident by our society now thats lost .

Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,250,060 times
Quote:
So do the kids if something happens to the one who works. Want them to go to work too
?

The family is what bonds society together . Evident by our society now thats lost .
Lots of working women in places like Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and Finland, have they experienced a breakdown of the family unit due to this trend?

GenderStats - Europe and Central Asia

Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 PM

507 posts, read 679,165 times
Quote:
I understand what you are trying to say, but it honestly it irritates me when people go into that "must have mother and father" spiel. As a person who experienced the loss of a father through death at a very young age, I often encourage people to remember that in some cases, people simply do not have a choice in the family structure in which their children are raised. Not to sound corny, but I really do believe that it takes a village. As long as children have positive role models and a strong support system, they can be raised in a variety of different ways and still turn out well.

Also, I don't know how up to date you are on current music, but love and romance really have not gone anywhere.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:57 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,912,584 times
Quote:
I use to love being ' subjugated '! I got to see ater my kids, have men treat me like a lady and most had respect for their mothers and sisters and other women . Not anymore ! Kids are mostly bossy little degenerants ,fat ,lazy and lost .

Women now get abused more than they did then . And society has gone to hell since they women left the men and kids to have it all.
It's great that you're happy with the way your life turned out and the choices that you made but the women in my family have always worked outside of the home regardless of if they've married and had children or not. That's been going on for as long as I can remember and includes both my grandmothers. It would never have occurred to either of them not to work and contribute. If women want to make the choice to marry, stay home and work I take no issue with that at all and find it a very fulfilling and commendable choice and completely their choice to make. However I've never really wanted to be married, will probably never have children and the idea that women should not work in preference to male only workforce would only end up with me completely losing my autonomy and my independence because if I'm not working and earning my own money where would you suggest that I go?
Pakistan perhaps? Saudi Arabia maybe? Or I could be one of those women in India who have become widowed and are cast out on the street by their families to become beggars. Perhaps I could go take up house with my Dad and have him provide for me? Or I suppose I could enter into a marriage contract with some guy who's desperate for a live in house keeper........maybe I should have just not been born a girl child in the first place? I hear that's a big problem in China.

I'm not sure where the idea there was a time when women didn't work came from, I'd venture to say if not for the women of the war effort it would be a very different landscape we would live in today. Women have always worked, they just haven't always been renumerated or recognized for it, in some places they still aren't. I'm grateful I live in a country where as a woman I am not a second class citizen and I am afforded all the rights and responsibilities that come along with that. One of the most basic rights is the right to renumeration for your work effort. By all means be happy with your choices but please don't attempt to whittle away mine.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:02 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,945,996 times
I have no problems with women working.

I do have a problem with feminists forcing artificial equality through lower standards for the same job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies