Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Unfortunate, no doubt, and and should be remedied.

Suspiciously timed report, politically? Without a doubt, especially coming from the *******s at Harvard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascailly as has been put forth ;give veterans a card that alows them access to private hospital care. the veterans hospital system has has problems for years as we saw in Walter Reed recently and that is the top hospital in the system in our nations capital.It takes a scandal or crisis for governamnts poor runnig of anyhting to bring light to the fact that governamnt is terrible at running anything really.Have a proiblem and try to strighten it out with government.

Agreed 100%. Do away with the entire veterans hospitals all together and instead, give every, single veteran a card which is, essentially, and unlimited debit card to be used at any hospital, public or private, and any other kind of healthcare facility for as long as they live.
THEY WENT TO HELL AND BACK FOR THIS COUNTRY. IF THEY WANT TO GET THEIR APPENDIX TAKEN OUT AT ONE OF THOSE "RESORT HOSPITALS" IN BEVERLY HILLS, I SAY, THEY'VE EARNED IT!

Also, when you think of all the money we spend it red tape and all that comes with running a hospital, even if every veteran does go all out and goes to Cancun for their massage therapy, the government would still probably end up saving money in the long run.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Looks like the sources are advocates for government run healthcare so it's an article written for a certain political purpose and with data we can't review. Great
AMEN

Nita

ps: to those who talk about homeless vets or homeless anyone else, most homeless (I said most) do have options. This does not mean I don't feel for them, it does mean I think only so much can be done, the rest is up to them.

And to those who site Walter Reed as an example of how poorly the Vet Administration hospitals are run, talk to some vets in other states, non being NM. We have 2 friends that had their cancer diagonsed and got excellent care via the VA. They are both doing fine. We also have many other friends, that other than the long waits sometimes swear by the VA system, including my dad and step mom. Dad retired from the Navy (is not deceased) and my step mom was in the army.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 11-12-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I help whenever I can afford to.
I purchase canned goods and non perishable items at wally world and dollar stores, and take these items to some homeless vets living in their vans/cars down by the rio grande near our state park.
Since I myself am a vet, and on a fixed income, I know what it is like to have to live in your own vehicle. This is why I help when I am able to.

One of my buddies, a korean war vet passed away 2 years ago after being brutally beaten by some young punks. They never found out who did it.

I think the healthcare bill needs to be passed, so vets and other people who fall through the cracks can get help.
I think almost everyone of us donate to the food banks, whether weekly, monthly or when we can. This has little to do with the OPs post about vets dieing from lack of insurance.

I am sorry to hear about your freind. These types of crimes happen daily and are deplorable, but that has little to do with govermnent run health insurance. Those who are homeless or have almost no income can use free clinics or qualify for aid. Those who do not choose to seek medical attention will not be helped by any federally run program.

Nita

Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0;11587817To those who are against the public option or health care reform, who think "the govt has no business in my health care" or "I like mine the way it is and just don't wanna share!" -- WHAT IS [U
YOUR[/u] SOLUTION? Do you think it's okay that you get to live, and others get to die?
My solution, as with any problem, find out the root causes and ancillary events that lead to the problem, in this case high costs in health care, and set out to remedy them.
1. Health care insurance costs more because providers cannot compete across state lines, so even though you could buy cheaper insurance over in the next state, laws prevent you from doing so.

2. People lose their job, and if they cross the river to take a job in the next state, they lose their insurance.

3. Doctors and hospitals pay billions a year in medical malpractice insurance, and we pick up the tab.

4. Doctors get their degree, and they have hundreds of thousands in tuition loans to pay off.

5. Drug companies shell out billions to test, market and distribute medicines and drugs.

6. People who could afford it, never pay for their own health care coverage, but go to emergency rooms and we all pick up the tab.
My solution - address the above items, and we should significantly lower health care costs. Simply absorbing them with a "public option" only deepens our national debt by papering over the problems with taxpayer money.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My solution, as with any problem, find out the root causes and ancillary events that lead to the problem, in this case high costs in health care, and set out to remedy them.
1. Health care insurance costs more because providers cannot compete across state lines, so even though you could buy cheaper insurance over in the next state, laws prevent you from doing so.

2. People lose their job, and if they cross the river to take a job in the next state, they lose their insurance.

3. Doctors and hospitals pay billions a year in medical malpractice insurance, and we pick up the tab.

4. Doctors get their degree, and they have hundreds of thousands in tuition loans to pay off.

5. Drug companies shell out billions to test, market and distribute medicines and drugs.

6. People who could afford it, never pay for their own health care coverage, but go to emergency rooms and we all pick up the tab.
My solution - address the above items, and we should significantly lower health care costs. Simply absorbing them with a "public option" only deepens our national debt by papering over the problems with taxpayer money.
None of that applies to Veterans seeking Health Care from the Veterans Administration. The first giant step forward would be if Senator Coburn
would stop blocking the Bill in Congress right now. He and his C Street family have done more harm to veterans than anything else I ca think of

Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
None of that applies to Veterans seeking Health Care from the Veterans Administration. The first giant step forward would be if Senator Coburn
would stop blocking the Bill in Congress right now. He and his C Street family have done more harm to veterans than anything else I ca think of
But this post does relate to what the OP is trying to push...!!!

Nita

Old 11-12-2009, 11:40 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
As soon as healthcare reform passes, and it will, the problem will be resolved. It is far past time that America has some form of healthcare available to all, we have one of the most expensive systems in the world but rate lower than most industrialized nations when it comes to quality overall healthcare. Yes, I know some of you say you do not want to help others, especially through slightly higher taxes, and that they should just help themselves. The things is you are already paying for it through higher prices for your healthcare. Either way we are going to have to pay, so why not lower the costs and cover everyone, seems irrational to be against that simple idea. Those that work temp jobs or work in places that do not cover their employees have few options, especially if they have any pre-existing conditions, those numbers run into the Millions and in such an rich nation the situation is unacceptable if not down criminal. I wonder how many that want the heathcare bill killed will join the program once it does pass, I would bet they will not admit it when they do, hypocrites rarely admit that they are.
Casper

Old 11-12-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
As soon as healthcare reform passes, and it will, the problem will be resolved. It is far past time that America has some form of healthcare available to all, we have one of the most expensive systems in the world but rate lower than most industrialized nations when it comes to quality overall healthcare. Yes, I know some of you say you do not want to help others, especially through slightly higher taxes, and that they should just help themselves. The things is you are already paying for it through higher prices for your healthcare. Either way we are going to have to pay, so why not lower the costs and cover everyone, seems irrational to be against that simple idea. Those that work temp jobs or work in places that do not cover their employees have few options, especially if they have any pre-existing conditions, those numbers run into the Millions and in such an rich nation the situation is unacceptable if not down criminal. I wonder how many that want the heathcare bill killed will join the program once it does pass, I would bet they will not admit it when they do, hypocrites rarely admit that they are.
Casper
what you are talking about has nothing to do with the OP. Yes, people who work temps or work for companies that do not offer insurance are between a rock and a hard spot and few people do not want to see these people offered a fair and reasonable form of health insurance, but this does not affect vets or doesn't very often. The two are unrelated.

Nita

Old 11-12-2009, 01:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
AGAIN the thread is about VETERANS seeking care from the VETERANS ADMINISTRATION. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Health Care Reform Act. It has everything to do with a C Street Cultist Senator from Oklahoma blocking care for needy Veterans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies