Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

This whole car insurance analogy is just so flawed. I could buy a brand new 2010 Chevy Camaro, take it home, and pull out the engine and transmission, and install it into my old 1969 Camaro, and have the junk yard tow away my 2010 Camaro, and no one has a right to say a word about it.

How is this related to insurance?

Quote:
This is where the modern liberal, Democratic Party has taken our country to? That the federal government can now demand that we buy a specific, government defined and approved product and service, as a function of American citizenship, or face federal fines and/or imprisonment?
Who approved no-bid contracts to Halliburtun? It wasn't you or me.

Quote:
We are told we must do this for the greater good of the collective society, and yet we have no say over what this will cost us, nor do we have any say over the type, quality or content of the product or services that we are being forced to pay for?
How much control do you have over Blackwater?

Quote:
We are told the federal government will decide for us, what form and function the product and services will be. Our duty as citizens will be to submit to the federal government, pay whatever fees the federal government determines the product and services will cost, or go to prison.
Stop paying your taxes. You will go to prison.

Quote:
Five, ten, fifteen, or twenty years from now, who will be in control of the federal government? The left is this country is quick to just say “let the government do it” even thought they don’t know who in government that might be.

They don’t know their names, they don’t know their qualifications, they don’t know their resume, their intentions, what agency will ultimately control health care, how they will fund it, how they will keep costs down and control fraud and corruption.
Quote:
They don’t know any of this, all they know is “the government should control it” without knowing who they may be, or what “it” might be.

Why liberals want to empower some unknown and faceless entities in the current or future government to steal liberty and property, I will never understand.

The law of the land is the US Constitution, and just because the temporary occupants in the halls of government think they have a better idea then what is written in the Constitution, and simply because they were elected to a four or six year term of elected office, does not give them the right to reinterpret the US Constitution and reshape or “fundamentally change America” in their own image.
That's right. We should put you in charge, with your scholarly knowledge of the Constitution, an' all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The only justification they need is the existence of law. Whether something is a right or privilege is irrelevant.
Do you know the difference between a right and a privilege? It doesn't sound that you do.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Since the federal government wasn't involved in any of that, I doubt it.
Funny guy, but that doesn't answer the question.

Why should I be forced to pay for something I've never used?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you know the difference between a right and a privilege? It doesn't sound that you do.
Yep. Do you? What rights are being violated by fining someone for not carrying health insurance. Be specific, please. Name the Amendment(s).

You have a right to own a gun. You are required to register this gun, and can be fined if you don't. You have a right to free speech. You cannot use the airwaves to broadcast indecent material, and can be fined in doing so. You have a right to vote, but you cannot vote if not registered, and can be fined if you do.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
I've never filed an auto claim, and I've carried insurance since 1973. Do I get my money back?
Seems like it was a waste of money then. Shouldn't have had to pay it.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I meant in America
Yeah, that IS where I live. In Florida. It was still part of American last time I checked.

Did they return it to Spain?

Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
The only justification they need is the existence of law. Whether something is a right or privilege is irrelevant.
A right is something you're entitled to so first and foremost there are laws to guarantee you're afforded that right (like the constitution does for example)......any other laws that relate to that right are more for regulating it (making it fair...equal....procedures...etc.). A priviledge has no guarantees.....it's something you usually earn so, it usually comes with restrictions/laws which may include having that priviledge revoked if violated. If a priviledge is revoked, you can't argue that it should be re-instated because it's something you're entitled to. When a right is violated you can because you have laws....guidelines (like the constitution) that have to be adhered to when other state/locals laws are made or they'll be declared unconstitutional when someone fights it in court. The court system takes care of fines and penalties for operating a motor vehicle improperly but, each state's DMV is responsible for deciding if you should or should not have the priviledge of being allowed to drive....they impose suspensions usually after having a hearing (one that's seperate from any other court procedures involving the same matter). You don't have the constitution to fall back on in that hearing like you do in court. Whether or not you're guilty is decided by the DMV, there's no jury or judge....there's just someone who directs the hearing and makes a decision but, they're not a judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies