Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The term teabagger triviliazed the OP post which otherwise was well worded.
You tell me what terms and what context and I will discuss the terms you wish to talk about
I gave you examples in a previous post. I don't see how the term "teabagger" trivialized the OP when this thread was started on some Fox News personalities but since that now seems to be the topic, they have trivialized themselves with those ignorant signs they carried at the rallies and yes I can provide examples but you can google them yourself too. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if you attended and saw them right in front of your face and still chose to overlook this.

I find it interesting how you keep dwelling on the same term. If we all refuse to carry on discussions based on terms that people use, there would be no forum. Did you ask those Tea Party protesters who were carrying those signs and calling the president names the same question? I don't see you in the thread where someone says Obama is a muslim(which wouldn't matter anyway), referred to him as Hussein Obama (we all know his name is Barak Hussein Obama, so what?) then quoted with no source that he said so himself. Why is it okay to spread lies and misinformation on the right, call names and make baseless acusations but not okay to use the term teabagger which by the way I did not make up nor was the first to use?

Don't you think this type of subjectivity and bias trivializes the movement on the right? Is it really productive to carry signs of Obama as a witch doctor or with a Hitler moustache? How about acusing members of government of treason with no basis? What about bringing children in that have no idea what they are hollering about? How about saying that Obama's plan is White Slavery or again, saying he is an illegal alien? Did you ask Rush Limbaugh why he feels that in 2009, school buses should be segregated? When was the last time you addressed any of those far-our crazy comments and straight up lies coming from the right? When was the last time that someone on the so-called fair and balanced Fox News did?

I can tell you the last time I witnessed it. O'Reilly told Beck that communism was not a threat in the US anymore, Glenn disagreed and the Fox News forums were in an uproar and saying that O'Reilly needs to go to MSNBC. Seems like Fox News and the viewers that believe them are more like a gang than concerned citizens.

It is clear that you don't want to discuss anything but the term "teabaggers" though. I will not apologize for it and if you think it delegitimizes my post, oh well, There are a lot of illegitimate posts floating around then and I could do the same thing you do but I chose to argue about the issues rather than the name calling and terms used. If someone's post consists of nothing but name calling and lies, I just don't respond to it at all. However, if they have a point and used a derogatory term although I find it annoying, I still don't ignore everything else in the post but if you chose to, go right ahead. It's your perogative just as watching Fox News and believing what they say is too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
My mother, who is also a grandmother, was not offended when she heard "teabagger." I doubt any secure adult has difficulty with sexual innuendo. Why do you single out mothers and grandmothers? Do women become shrinking violets after bearing children?

No, it's just a disgusting term, and I actually have respect for my mother and grandmother to the point that I don't want the evening news using that term.

If that does not make sense to you, then I really don't think there is much of a future in reading each other's posts.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I gave you examples in a previous post. I don't see how the term "teabagger" trivialized the OP when this thread was started on some Fox News personalities but since that now seems to be the topic, they have trivialized themselves with those ignorant signs they carried at the rallies and yes I can provide examples but you can google them yourself too. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if you attended and saw them right in front of your face and still chose to overlook this.

I find it interesting how you keep dwelling on the same term. If we all refuse to carry on discussions based on terms that people use, there would be no forum. Did you ask those Tea Party protesters who were carrying those signs and calling the president names the same question? I don't see you in the thread where someone says Obama is a muslim(which wouldn't matter anyway), referred to him as Hussein Obama (we all know his name is Barak Hussein Obama, so what?) then quoted with no source that he said so himself. Why is it okay to spread lies and misinformation on the right, call names and make baseless acusations but not okay to use the term teabagger which by the way I did not make up nor was the first to use?

Don't you think this type of subjectivity and bias trivializes the movement on the right? Is it really productive to carry signs of Obama as a witch doctor or with a Hitler moustache? How about acusing members of government of treason with no basis? What about bringing children in that have no idea what they are hollering about? How about saying that Obama's plan is White Slavery or again, saying he is an illegal alien? Did you ask Rush Limbaugh why he feels that in 2009, school buses should be segregated? When was the last time you addressed any of those far-our crazy comments and straight up lies coming from the right? When was the last time that someone on the so-called fair and balanced Fox News did?

I can tell you the last time I witnessed it. O'Reilly told Beck that communism was not a threat in the US anymore, Glenn disagreed and the Fox News forums were in an uproar and saying that O'Reilly needs to go to MSNBC. Seems like Fox News and the viewers that believe them are more like a gang than concerned citizens.

It is clear that you don't want to discuss anything but the term "teabaggers" though. I will not apologize for it and if you think it delegitimizes my post, oh well, There are a lot of illegitimate posts floating around then and I could do the same thing you do but I chose to argue about the issues rather than the name calling and terms used. If someone's post consists of nothing but name calling and lies, I just don't respond to it at all. However, if they have a point and used a derogatory term although I find it annoying, I still don't ignore everything else in the post but if you chose to, go right ahead. It's your perogative just as watching Fox News and believing what they say is too.
Once you decide to trivialize any post into a name calling matter , the rest of the post is irrelevant.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Once you decide to trivialize any post into a name calling matter , the rest of the post is irrelevant.
My feelings exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies