Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a tax on cosmetic procedures to fund health care reform?
Yes 9 39.13%
No 13 56.52%
Not sure 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Really? Even on top of a sales tax? (I believe some states already do charge a sales tax on cosmetic procedures.)

Hopefully you're also against insurance covering birth control pills. There's no life-saving or life-sustaining value to birth control pills. Having sex and taking birth control pills is - to use your phrase - "purely elective".
And look at abortion. Obama health care intends to pay for any kind of abortion and that is the exact opposite of life-saving or life-sustaining. With abortion they want to pay for killing.

A cosmetic procedure is certainly a whole lot less evil than an abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I'm in favor of taxing luxury items.. not everything and anything.. which,btw, is already done ..just add a few more tot hat.

Yes, I'm all for taxing elective cosmetic surgeries.. it's a luxury. Same as i am okay with a tax on all goods that we buy with the exception to food etc.

If it means that someone doesn't have to die of cancer because they can't pay for treatments and have no health insurance I am all for Ms. Boob job paying a little tax on your 34DDD's
Well I think you'll get most of your wish. The government is well on their way to taxing all those extra items we deem luxury..like soda and alcohol.

Once the luxuries are taxed..they will have no choice but to start adding tax to other more basic items. Congress has left the door open to what will be taxed.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm all for taxing elective cosmetic surgeries.. it's a luxury.
OK, I'll take on YOUR words above - and other words you have used including "non life threatening".

Someone has a birth defect. It is NOT life threatening. They can live just fine. BUT, they are offered a cosmetic procedure that will improve their appearance and quality of life. According to YOUR words, they don't "need" this surgery. According to YOUR words, it is a "luxury". So if this individual ELECTS (voluntary) to have this surgery, YOU would support a tax on this surgery. How sweet.

A woman has had to have a radical mastectomy. A breast was removed. But, having the breast removed is not "life threatening". She can life a full life without it. But, should she choose to have reconstructive surgery, a "voluntary" procedure, YOU would support taxing her surgery. How nice of you TM.

Not all cosmetic surgeries TM are breast enhancements. Most do improve a woman and mans quality of life. Yet, YOU don't care about that.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
OK, I'll take on YOUR words above - and other words you have used including "non life threatening".

Someone has a birth defect. It is NOT life threatening. They can live just fine. BUT, they are offered a cosmetic procedure that will improve their appearance and quality of life. According to YOUR words, they don't "need" this surgery. According to YOUR words, it is a "luxury". So if this individual ELECTS (voluntary) to have this surgery, YOU would support a tax on this surgery. How sweet.

A woman has had to have a radical mastectomy. A breast was removed. But, having the breast removed is not "life threatening". She can life a full life without it. But, should she choose to have reconstructive surgery, a "voluntary" procedure, YOU would support taxing her surgery. How nice of you TM.

Not all cosmetic surgeries TM are breast enhancements. Most do improve a woman and mans quality of life. Yet, YOU don't care about that.

go back and read my other posts.. addressed, answered.. there are certain exceptions to the "luxury" rule GD.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
I'm in favor of taxing luxury items.. not everything and anything.. which,btw, is already done ..just add a few more tot hat.

Yes, I'm all for taxing elective cosmetic surgeries.. it's a luxury. Same as i am okay with a tax on all goods that we buy with the exception to food etc.

If it means that someone doesn't have to die of cancer because they can't pay for treatments and have no health insurance I am all for Ms. Boob job paying a little tax on your 34DDD's
How about a special tax on "luxury" food or clothing? Maybe a tax on airfare to vacation spots such as Cancun or Bermuda?

How about a tax on Clearasil acne treatment? It's not necessary for living, you know. Or maybe a tax on over-the-counter cosmetic/beauty items purchased at Neiman Marcus?

Old 11-21-2009, 12:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Insurance doesn't pay for these procedures, now.

Are they suggesting boob jobs will be free on the taxpayers dime!!!

Seriously?

Old 11-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How about a special tax on "luxury" food or clothing? Maybe a tax on airfare to vacation spots such as Cancun or Bermuda?

How about a tax on Clearasil acne treatment? It's not necessary for living, you know. Or maybe a tax on over-the-counter cosmetic/beauty items purchased at Neiman Marcus?
Luxury food is food tht you have prepared for you ie going out to eat. That is taxed. So are cosmetics and airfare in general.

Eating out is a luxury. The raw food is not.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Perhaps a "luxury" tax should be accessed on ALL womens cosmetics. They are not necessary. Perhaps a tax of 25% would be fair. And, all haircutting should be taxed 25% as well.

Deodorants are not necessary - lets tax those 30% -

Old 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Eating out is a luxury.
So, if someone takes a vacation, and has no alternative but to eat out, they should be charged a "luxury" tax on their meal?

Insane. Absolutely frigging insane

Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
So, if someone takes a vacation, and has no alternative but to eat out, they should be charged a "luxury" tax on their meal?

Insane. Absolutely frigging insane
Um newsflash. Tax is already charged at restaurants!!! That was my point. Eating out is a luxury as is the idea of going on a vacation which includes eating out. Lol. And restaurants charge a sales tax on their bills.

Cosmetics are also chrarged a sales tax! Clothes are too for that matter! Who says anything about 20%? no one mentioned any percentages just a tax wih no details. If we are talking that high then I feel it is indeed too high. But charging for cosmetic surgery along the lines we already charge for items is fine with me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies