Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The facts are that a serious Palin candidacy in 2012 could well destroy the Republican Party. She will not win the support of center-right moderates anywhere.
I think you are lying again about the reason for your concern about Palin. Your sudden concern over the destruction of the Republican Party would be admirable if it didnt doesnt seem like such a big flat out lie. I could be wrong, but call it a hunch that isnt your real concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,970 times
Default (1) Logical Point Made ..... But What's That About The Republicans ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am not a Democrat nor an Obama supporter but based on the crap I heard on FOX News Radio today, I could NEVER vote for the Republican party. I have heard more than a few idiots say that Sarah Palin is a great candidate, that she is a very qualified, etc. How ABSURD is this? The woman has a Journalism degree from U of Idaho, no understanding of International Affairs, Economics or even simple World Geography. As much as I don't agree with Obama and his policies, I heard a local talk show host say that Palin's qualifications are better than Obama's. Hmm, U of Idaho vs Harvard Law School. How dumb can these people be? Anyways, Obama has done a terrible job so far but I could never support a simpleton, anti-intellectual idiot like Palin.
Good Morning,

Yes I believe it's a fair assessment to state that Palin is most likely not the most qualified person to run for high public office at this time.

It's true that palin is extremely popular at this juncture in time and is without doubt experiencing great success with the ""Going Rogue" book.

She deserves an abundance of credit for the positive things she has accomplished in her life and in all likelyhood will enjoy much more success in the future. She is afterall a very successful woman and thats a good thing is it not ?

As to those so called "Dumb Republicans" mentioned by the author of this thread ..... I personally know so many of them that are highly educated and extremely successful..... and in final analysis certainly do not resemble this highly : Prejudiced & Stereotypical statement.

In the best interest of and fairness to all the participants of CDF we should remember that just because we may disagree with one another
..... it does not justify the extreme "Stereotyping" and "Prejudiced" slanders that continue to occur as a result !

Political Parties and their members are not "Dumb" because they believe in the doctrine of the party ..... They are simply ' Playing the American Political Game" as we have the tremendous "Right" to do !

Name calling is typically a situation for eight and nine year olds on the playground ..... May we at least play the "Political Game" on a higher level !

Play the "Political Game With Our Adult Intellect And Not With Out Contol Juvenile Emotions !

So Mote It Be ! Thanks / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 11-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Lamar's Spelling / Thanks

Old 11-22-2009, 10:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am not a Democrat nor an Obama supporter but based on the crap I heard on FOX News Radio today, I could NEVER vote for the Republican party. I have heard more than a few idiots say that Sarah Palin is a great candidate, that she is a very qualified, etc. How ABSURD is this? The woman has a Journalism degree from U of Idaho, no understanding of International Affairs, Economics or even simple World Geography. As much as I don't agree with Obama and his policies, I heard a local talk show host say that Palin's qualifications are better than Obama's. Hmm, U of Idaho vs Harvard Law School. How dumb can these people be? Anyways, Obama has done a terrible job so far but I could never support a simpleton, anti-intellectual idiot like Palin.

I am not a Palin fan BUT where a person went to college does NOT necessarly mean one is more intelligent then another.

That being said I would not vote for Palin not because of where she went to school but because I don't think she can handle being President. I actually think Obama and Palin are very similar in the experience arena and are both horrible leaders. The only thing Obama has on his side is that he is a good at BSing, Palin is not.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think you are lying again about the reason for your concern about Palin. Your sudden concern over the destruction of the Republican Party would be admirable if it didnt doesnt seem like such a big flat out lie. I could be wrong, but call it a hunch that isnt your real concern.
Well you see, I still remember the days when there were two political parties in America. There were always whackos on the fringes of each side, but in the main, rational people of differing viewpoints and philosophies were able to work with each other to find and make progress on common ground and put their differences elsewhere to honest debate and testing. That's what goes on today between the Liberal Democrats and the Blue Dog Democrats. In functional terms, these are what actually stand as America's two political parties today. The Republicans are now dominated by whackos and fringers. They have simply withdrawn from the process and circled the wagons around the word "No". Nobody can work with these people right now, and a Palin presence will only make matters worse. What's left of the moderate wing of the Party will simply leave. Maybe we can get by in a Liberal/Blue Dog world. Maybe those of us who remember the days when there was such a thing as an honorable Republican should just let it go. Palin may be enough to assure that we have no other choice...

Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Good Morning,

Yes I believe it's a fair assessment to state that Palin is most likely not the most qualified person to run for high public office at this time.

It's true that palin is extremely popular at this juncture in time and is without doubt experiencing great success with the ""Going Rogue" book.

She deserves an abundance of credit for the positive things she has accomplished in her life and in all likelyhood will enjoy much more success in the future. She is afterall a very successful woman and thats a good thing is it not ?

As to those so called "Dumb Republicans" mentioned by the author of this thread ..... I personally know so many of them that are highly educated and extremely successful..... and in final analysis certainly do not resemble this highly : Prejudiced & Stereotypical statement.

In the best interest of and fairness to all the participants of CDF we should remember that just because we may disagree with one another
..... it does not justify the extreme "Stereotyping" and "Prejudiced" slanders that continue to occur as a result !

Political Parties and their members are not "Dumb" because they believe in the doctrine of the party ..... They are simply ' Playing the American Political Game" as we have the tremendous "Right" to do !

Name calling is typically a situation for eight and nine year olds on the playground ..... May we at least play the "Political Game" on a higher level !

Play the "Political Game With Our Adult Intellect And Not With Out Contol Juvenile Emotions !

So Mote It Be ! Thanks / Lamar

Just because Palin is a "nice person" (despite the fact that she forced members of her own campaign to buy her suits with their own money) doesn't mean she's qualified. She's was governor for what, 2 years? And before that she was the mayor of a REALLY small town.

If she were to run for POTUS then I would say she needs to do a number of things first:

1) Tone down the rhetoric. It's one thing to be a Republican, it's totally another to kowtow to a party line and not really believe / push for what you believe. If she's "going rogue" then she'd be like McCain more and "go rogue" against some of the very sad ultra-right hijackings of a whole party.

2) Get more experience in a political office. She shouldn't have quit being governor of Alaska. If she can't stand up to the constant press that POTUS gets, then she shouldn't run. I, for one, think it is scary if someone can claim they are qualified to face off Vladimir Putin and Hu Jintao (Premier of China) and yet have such little experience is absurd. Maybe she will be more qualified one day when she gets more experience, not before.

3) Build a different campaign than last time. "Going rogue" isn't what will move voters. She needs to outline what she believes in more too. I, for one, want to know whether she really did believe dinosaurs were around 6,000 years ago. That's important to me.

4) Separate her family life from the political. Just ignore the press if they report on the family. Trying to bash the press is like trying to bash a thread troll on a forum ... it just makes them relish in the limelight.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm a Republican and a regular FOX viewer, but I can agree with you about Sarah Palin (although I wouldn't call her an "idiot"). I'm sure she is a nice person and I wish her well, but she just isn't cut out for being President or vice-President. If she wants to get into national politics she should run for Congress and get herself familiar with it (in addition to foreign affairs). I just can't agree with all of those people who think she is qualified to be President right now.
That's a good suggestion. My problem with her celebrity status for being narcissistic and unable to take any criticism is that there are so many intelligent, worldly, and ethical conservatives who could easily rise to the top, get support from the base, and appeal to moderates.

I think Bobby Jindal should be given a chance and Paul Ryan, though only a Congressman, has deep respect from all corners of Congress for his grasp of issues and intellectual prowess.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well you see, I still remember the days when there were two political parties in America. There were always whackos on the fringes of each side, but in the main, rational people of differing viewpoints and philosophies were able to work with each other to find and make progress on common ground and put their differences elsewhere to honest debate and testing. That's what goes on today between the Liberal Democrats and the Blue Dog Democrats. In functional terms, these are what actually stand as America's two political parties today. The Republicans are now dominated by whackos and fringers. They have simply withdrawn from the process and circled the wagons around the word "No". Nobody can work with these people right now, and a Palin presence will only make matters worse. What's left of the moderate wing of the Party will simply leave. Maybe we can get by in a Liberal/Blue Dog world. Maybe those of us who remember the days when there was such a thing as an honorable Republican should just let it go. Palin may be enough to assure that we have no other choice...
The right wing dominated by wackos on the fringe? Ohh please. The right wing has so many dam left wingers in the party that its hard to tell the difference anymore between the two political parties (which even you acknowledged). Hell, we even nominate left wingers to be presidental candidates.. Is palin out on the right wing, yeah, but not so fringe that she pulls the whole party, nor does she donimate the party, even if you want to pretend she is. Shes currently an author of a book, PERIOD.. thats it.. NOTHING ELSE..

Last edited by pghquest; 11-22-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 10:31 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And yet Obama won by how many points?

Obama 53 % - McCain 46% with 62% of eligible voters voting. Obama received 365 electoral votes and McCain received 173. You can bet 100% of evangelical right Republicans voted.

There are 36% of eligible Americans who did not vote - wager to say if they voted - it would not be for any religious fundamentalist on a Republican Presidential ticket.

Republicans are not dumb - they just can't move away from their evangelicals which is their guaranteed base. Without them - the spread in any presidential election would be greater.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Obama 53 % - McCain 46% with 62% of eligible voters voting. Obama received 365 electoral votes and McCain received 173. You can bet 100% of evangelical right Republicans voted.

There are 36% of eligible Americans who did not vote - wager to say if they voted - it would not be for any religious fundamentalist on a Republican Presidential ticket.

Republicans are not dumb - they just can't move away from their evangelicals which is their guaranteed base. Without them - the spread in any presidential election would be greater.
You can bet 100% evanglicals voted?

36% didnt vote but wouldnt have voted for Republicans?

Evangelicals? When is the last evangelical candidate nominated?

Please post facts, and stop with the non stop Peter Pan make beliefs..

Old 11-22-2009, 10:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,840 times
McCain is a Baptist. Are Baptists considered Evangelicals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies