Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Emerson Electric started moving production outside of the United States decades ago. Trying to blame their choices in the 1990's on current government policy is illogical.
Yes. I'm sure the CEO of the company has no idea what he's talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The solution..get ready for a lower standard of living as we watch those countries we outsource to rise.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yes. I'm sure the CEO of the company has no idea what he's talking about.
He may know what he's talking about, but it doesn't change the fact that beginning in the 1980's Emerson Electric began closing plants in the United States and offshoring that production. Jackson, MS; Shelby, NC; Mesa, AZ; Rogers, AR.

Charles Knight, CEO until 2000, oversaw that shift.

How Emerson Rebounded from a Bad Loss - HBS Working Knowledge

Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Yeah, the whining and martyr syndrome that a lot of American CEO's have has GOT to stop already.
They're giving me a headache.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:42 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
...apparently most think it's fine to lose jobs and corporations to overseas countries instead of trying to keep jobs incountry. That will be OK until everyone figures out that EVERYBODY can't sit on their collective butts on the government dole if there are no taxpayers left. When corporations leave, many jobs follow them. Therefore America loses both corporate AND personal income taxes.

BTW,...someone refute what the Emerson CEO said. America is in an economic recession,...hugh unemployment, real estate foreclosures at highs, commercial real estate tanking, banks in trouble, and people are troubled about government spending. What does the fed do? Print more money, run national debt to world record highs, bail out companies with money we don't have, insist on passing the largest healthcare program in history, and look at raising the taxes on the average household through a cap and trade policy that is both anti-business and anti-consumer.

Makes sense to me.....

Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
It appears to me that issue for Emerson is following the money rather than any government policy the I can see.
Emerson is following the money. Infrastructure investment in the United States now accounts for 21 percent of the global total of $12 trillion, down from 27 percent in 2004. Asia Pacific's share of global infrastructure investment has increased from 18 percent of the global total in 2004 to 27 percent in 2009. That number is expected to continue going up -- to 31 percent of global investment in 2014 and 37 percent in 2019.
Emerson Electric Votes With Its Feet, Saying The Goverment Is Destoying American Manufacturing

But when I have time, I'll look into their powerpoint presentation.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:51 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Could have fooled me since no one complained until after 20 Jan 2009.
Unless you were pulling a Rumplestiltskin, people en mass have been decrying offshoring since the '80s (as in 1980s).

Old 11-27-2009, 06:36 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The solution..get ready for a lower standard of living as we watch those countries we outsource to rise.
woo--HOOO

Global-scale wealth re-distribution!!!
THAT'S the hope and change I was looking forward to

Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 PM

839 posts, read 982,692 times
What too many people here don't realize is that America's economic future simply is not in manufacturing. I'm not sure what you all want the government to do when you say things like 'stop outsourcing.' The fact is that other countries have developed a comparative advantage in manufacturing, particularly in the manufacturing of products which do not require high-value technology. The free market which most of you likely profess to believe in (particularly you conservatives!) dictates that those jobs which can be done more efficiently elsewhere are to be outsourced.

Now, the government could institute a variety of trade restrictions and couple them with domestic subsidies. We could have import quotas, tariffs and such. However, if you know much about economics you know that such policies not only harm consumers to benefit producers (and those who work for the producers) but they also lead to suboptimal economic outcomes. The kinds of policies which would restrain outsourcing also inevitably lead to less efficient economic outcomes overall. If the US is to maintain an efficient economy that operates as close to pareto-optimality as possible then fewer, not more, trade restrictions are needed. We have to be adaptable; this means rather than stopping outsourcing we need to find new industries to replace the ones we no longer have an advantage in.

Attempting to cling to old manufacturing jobs just means our economy will fall further and further behind in terms of technology, human capital, innovation, efficiency, productivity, etc. We should be investing in new, high-value added sectors of the economy, promoting new industries and improving out education system to meet the demands of the modern economy.

What I find most ironic is that many of the people who protest outsourcing and the like on these boards are conservatives (though many liberals do it, too!). These conservatives will, in one breath, tell you that the free market should be left alone, that government shouldn't intervene, that private industry is best. In the next breath they will decry outsourcing and call for interventions to stop it! Do you not see the hypocrisy? The contradiction?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:32 PM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Thank you!
We need to stop worrying about who is to blame, and try to find a way to fix it.
yes and no...yes we need to fix it,no we don't need to stop blaming,so say we get this problem fixed,would you propose another democrat or republican to take the helm and screw it all up again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies