Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:25 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. However, I knew he was against it.

I was wondering why Matt for it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 03:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The media shuns him and shunned him when he campaigned in 2008.
I wouldn't blame it on the media. The man has a very strong appeal among a segment of voters. Unfortunately for him, his brand of Republicanism is too libertarian for the current Republican Party. He has an appealing message, but it's not shared by the majority of his party.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:29 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
And I totally agree with him. Marriage is a religious institution, not a legislative institution.
Wrong Marriage is a Social institution. It is something that belongs to the people not any organization. Marriage should be non legislative and non religious. It should be up to the individual how and who they want to marry.

Some might say that this would lead to people marrying their pets and other animals or even non living objects. I say, if someone is dumb enough to want to marry an animal(pet) or a non-living object, let them. It will save us from the potential offspring they might bare, which would lead us to one less idiot.

But anyways, I like Ron Paul as well. I am ashamed that the people that claim to support him didnt vote for him. I did.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Seems like we are opposites of each other opposites.

Weird combo, huh?

But I have to ask. I admit I am curious.....how or why are you for illegal immigration? Thanks.
I grew up in El Cajon California where 50% of the population was Latino. I've been working various constuction jobs with these guys for the last 20 years. Most of them I have worked with have been great people. I've seen soo many families broken up due to deportation. These people are the backbone of society in the Southwest and many have been here most their lives. If the USA didn't make it soo hard to get a visa and 1500% harder than that to become I citizen then I would not support Illegal immigration. Also before the question is asked I am white.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
I grew up in El Cajon California where 50% of the population was Latino. I've been working various constuction jobs with these guys for the last 20 years. Most of them I have worked with have been great people. I've seen soo many families broken up due to deportation. These people are the backbone of society in the Southwest and many have been here most their lives. If the USA didn't make it soo hard to get a visa and 1500% harder than that to become I citizen then I would not support Illegal immigration. Also before the question is asked I am white.
That is sad and all that.

But laws are laws. BEFORE coming to our country illegally, they should think about what the consequences may be. Including deportation.

They may be great people but they are not above the law of the land.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. However, I knew he was against it.

I was wondering why Matt for it though.
Question answered. I know Ron Paul in anti-illegal immigration but all his other ideologies are excellent so, I gotta grin-and-bare this one.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That is sad and all that.

But laws are laws. BEFORE coming to our country illegally, they should think about what the consequences may be. Including deportation.

They may be great people but they are not above the law of the land.
Well to them it's a risk well worth taking because they are from places like Tijuana, Mexicali,Nogales, Juarez etc where they were too poor to get an education so going to a part of Mexico with a good job market isn't an option and theres few jobs in there hometowns. Getting access to the USA for work and residence legally is almost impossible and living descent in Mexico is impossible. But renting an apartment in Phoenix(for example) and getting a hazardous lowpaying job will give them a life they couldn't dream of in America. Anywho lets stay at the topic at hand before a mod cuts in and deletes all our posts or closes the topic

Old 12-06-2009, 03:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Why isn't he more well known?
Two reasons

1) He doesn't have the support of one of two giant organizations behind him.

2) He doesn't have the support of one of two giant organizations behind him because he wants to limit the power of the federal government.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:49 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Two reasons

1) He doesn't have the support of one of two giant organizations behind him.

2) He doesn't have the support of one of two giant organizations behind him because he wants to limit the power of the federal government.
Exactly, the election system in this country is an embarrassment. And there is absolutely nothing that is going to be done about it, because most people just don't care. They are being told that everything will be fixed if we elect this guy or that guy, don't waste your vote because 3rd-party candidates can't win(and sadly, it is true).

Privately funded elections, privately owned politicians.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
Here is a great short interview or those unfamiliar with Ron Paul. 10 Questions For Ron Paul. It covers a number of topics from Iraq to income tax to marijuana to media coverage. I'm always amazed at how many of us with divergent opinions on specific topics can find common ground when they are presented in a such a rational, objective way.

10 Questions with Ron Paul - Video - TIME.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies