Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I think it is pathetic that they even put gay marriage up for vote.

Since when can the majority vote on the rights of the minority?
Let me ask you a question. Who do you think put the legislature into office? The members of the legislature represent their constituents, and if the constituents don't agree with how they vote in the legislature well then they have only themselves to blame.

Also, while we're at it why not put whether slavery should be legal or not to referendum, or whether taxes should be cut by 50% or not, or just about any other social issue. Let's just make the legislature redundant and have the people literally rule themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
That is true. That is reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
"Gay marriage" only effects gays, it doesn't effect we heteroes in the least.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Civil rights? Says who?

Yes, the majority does have the say, not some committee made of a few members.
definition od civil rights...

The rights belonging to an individual by virtue of citizenship, especially the fundamental freedoms and privileges guaranteed by the 13th and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution and by subsequent acts of Congress, including civil liberties, due process, equal protection of the laws, and freedom from discrimination.

Now, think for a second. Try real hard. Okay, what the hell gives you or anyone else the right to dictate what another citizen of this country does with their own life? Who they want to marry, live with, have sex with, have decide what happens to them in the event that they are in a coma, adopt or have children with. They are entitled to have all the legal rights afforded to other couples as it is none of your's or anyone else's business and it is bizarre that you would make it any of your concern.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,404 times
Quote:
The rights belonging to an individual by virtue of citizenship, especially the fundamental freedoms and privileges guaranteed by the 13th and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution and by subsequent acts of Congress, including civil liberties, due process, equal protection of the laws, and freedom from discrimination.
I have no real issue other than to point out this is a lame duck legislature with a lame duck governor attempting to slide this into law without having to face the voters. And clearly, laws, benefits, rules, etc. that have legislatively been incorporated with respect to marriage -- these so called "rights" -- are a result of the government's effort to protect and assist the family unit and procreation of children; not adult sexual proclivities.

NJ provides all economic benefits of couples through civil unions. This movement to have them referred to as "marriages" is simply to insert personal desires into others religious beliefs.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I have no real issue other than to point out this is a lame duck legislature with a lame duck governor attempting to slide this into law without having to face the voters. And clearly, laws, benefits, rules, etc. that have legislatively been incorporated with respect to marriage -- these so called "rights" -- are a result of the government's effort to protect and assist the family unit and procreation of children; not adult sexual proclivities.

NJ provides all economic benefits of couples through civil unions. This movement to have them referred to as "marriages" is simply to insert personal desires into others religious beliefs.
Firstly, government is not in the business of promoting "family units" nor the "procreation of children". This is a rather popular fiction invented by people who did not wish to be seen for what they are, bigots. The thousand plus rights and privlages are solely intended to bestow a familial relationship between the spouses, for legal purposes, superior to any and all other family bonds.

Second, marriage is absolutely unneccessary for procreation, and the simple fact that sterile heteroes, and/or couples who have no inention of having children, are more than welcome to participate in marriage alone disproves your inventions.

Third, marriage is absolutely unneccessary for sex as well. This is another fantasy invented to cover up bigotry. People of all three sexual orientation classifications, Hetero-, Bi-, and Homosexual, seek the same things from a loving, lasting relationship. Friendship, love, mutual support, a confidant, etc. Don't know about you, but I didn't marry to have sex.

Fourthly, marriage is a civil right. There is simply no valid, secular reason offered by any one opposed to Equality of Marriage to deny law abiding, tax paying citizens this civil right. The arguments offered as reminicent, and just as empty of reality, as those arguments offered during the Loving vs Virginia case which eliminated discrimination of racially mixed couples in marriage.

And lastly, Seperate but Equal has already been a social experiment in this Nation, and was a total and utter failure. The term itself is an oxymoron. Not only are civil union, by their very nature, unequal, they do not come close to offering the thousand plus rights my wife and I received merely for uttering I do in front of the town justice. Civil Unions are the proverbial carrot-on-a-stick offered by the right in an attempt to disuade this Fight for Equality, an attempt to distract, to derail the noble casue of the fight for basic Equality.

It is utterly shamful that, in a Nation that supposedly prides herself on Equality, that a minority is denied a Civil Right for what amounts to religiously motivated bigotry, or simple "Ick".

Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They can contact their representatives and let them know. Not everything has to be up for a public vote. It's cheaper that way.

lolololol as if they would listen!!
I don't care one way or another but I do find the "rushing" of this through is just a last ditch attempt by an inept governor who is now a lame duck, to go out blazing

Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Firstly, government is not in the business of promoting "family units" nor the "procreation of children". This is a rather popular fiction invented by people who did not wish to be seen for what they are, bigots. The thousand plus rights and privlages are solely intended to bestow a familial relationship between the spouses, for legal purposes, superior to any and all other family bonds.

Second, marriage is absolutely unneccessary for procreation, and the simple fact that sterile heteroes, and/or couples who have no inention of having children, are more than welcome to participate in marriage alone disproves your inventions.

Third, marriage is absolutely unneccessary for sex as well. This is another fantasy invented to cover up bigotry. People of all three sexual orientation classifications, Hetero-, Bi-, and Homosexual, seek the same things from a loving, lasting relationship. Friendship, love, mutual support, a confidant, etc. Don't know about you, but I didn't marry to have sex.

Fourthly, marriage is a civil right. There is simply no valid, secular reason offered by any one opposed to Equality of Marriage to deny law abiding, tax paying citizens this civil right. The arguments offered as reminicent, and just as empty of reality, as those arguments offered during the Loving vs Virginia case which eliminated discrimination of racially mixed couples in marriage.

And lastly, Seperate but Equal has already been a social experiment in this Nation, and was a total and utter failure. The term itself is an oxymoron. Not only are civil union, by their very nature, unequal, they do not come close to offering the thousand plus rights my wife and I received merely for uttering I do in front of the town justice. Civil Unions are the proverbial carrot-on-a-stick offered by the right in an attempt to disuade this Fight for Equality, an attempt to distract, to derail the noble casue of the fight for basic Equality.

It is utterly shamful that, in a Nation that supposedly prides herself on Equality, that a minority is denied a Civil Right for what amounts to religiously motivated bigotry, or simple "Ick".
that was one of the best posts that I've seen on this topic. Bravo.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
that was one of the best posts that I've seen on this topic. Bravo.
Thank you.

They say ignorance is bliss.

It is my self appointed task in life to disturb the blissful.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,404 times
Quote:
Firstly, government is not in the business of promoting "family units" nor the "procreation of children". This is a rather popular fiction invented by people who did not wish to be seen for what they are, bigots.
Check out the IRS codes. Children deductions, inheritance, business medical plans, etc. Assuming that not all gay partners suddenly have an urge to sanctify their unions through religious institutions, it is the driver for gay marriage. The argument being that "civil unions" do not adequately provide all the benefits bestowed by the term "marriage." Sorry to be the one to break it to you but these benefits were not introduced over the course of hundreds of years due to some hidden bigoted agenda -- the idea is silly.

Quote:
Fourthly, marriage is a civil right.
If you could convince me this was true, I'd be eager to push my state rep to force passage of this bill. . . . but it is not.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
And clearly, laws, benefits, rules, etc. that have legislatively been incorporated with respect to marriage -- these so called "rights" -- are a result of the government's effort to protect and assist the family unit and procreation of children; not adult sexual proclivities.
Do you realize that the percentage of same-sex couples who are raising children (31%) is very close to the percentage of opposite-sex couples who are raising children? (43%)

Gay couples: A close look at this modern family, parenting - USATODAY.com

I don't know why you think this is about "sexual proclivities". That's silly. If anything, marriage is a great way to reduce the amount of sex that a person is having!

Quote:
This movement to have them referred to as "marriages" is simply to insert personal desires into others religious beliefs.
Civil marriage laws have nothing to do with religion. Maybe in your mind, they do, but in a court of law, they do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies