Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 PM

346 posts, read 407,725 times

Advertisements

Or how they are even accurate now. Satellites have been used the last thirty or so years I believe but what did they do before?? Did Wild Bill Hickock or Jesse James run around recording temps? Who did it in the Antarctic? How do they measure sea temps? Those ocean bouis? (spelling??) What if a whale pisses next to one wont that make the measurement higher? IPCC is howling about how this year was one of the hottest since 1880 or whatever but how the friggen hell do they even know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM

346 posts, read 407,725 times
I figured some greenies would be able to tell me how this was done but apparently not. Maybe they read the temp of ice core pulled out of al gore's arse???

Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
Somebody explain how global temps were measured in the 1880's
They used thermometers.

They were recorded at weather stations located around the world. The records are considered reasonably accurate from the mid 1800's to the present. To get a global temperature the recorded temperatures are averaged (straight or weighted, I don't know).

Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Maybe someone with a good background in statistics could answer my question: Condidering how long the earth has been around, is approximately 100 years of data statistically significant?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,794 times
Default "oldyeller" ..... What's Up With Yer thinkin !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
I figured some greenies would be able to tell me how this was done but apparently not. Maybe they read the temp of ice core pulled out of al gore's arse???
Greeting's,

You are so dang wrong this time ! Get some smarts will you ..... It had to be that there mean lookin ole NANCY that took all them measurements in the 1800's ! It danged well had nothin to do with Al's arse..........

A nice day to all !

Thanks / lamar

Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Or how they are even accurate now. Satellites have been used the last thirty or so years I believe but what did they do before?? Did Wild Bill Hickock or Jesse James run around recording temps? Who did it in the Antarctic? How do they measure sea temps? Those ocean bouis? (spelling??) What if a whale pisses next to one wont that make the measurement higher? IPCC is howling about how this year was one of the hottest since 1880 or whatever but how the friggen hell do they even know.
Typically they were recorded by soldiers at forts who were trained in the science of meterology and sent to a national office. Usually they used glass thermometers and they thought at that time the readings would help in predicting weather patterns over the years. They did not know at the time that these patterns are hundreds of years or longer as we know now. They thought with 5 or 10 years of readings, they could accurately say what the weather would be for a given time.
We know now that is not the case but there is an on going project of the National Weather Service to digitally preserve these records going back to 1800.

1. INTRODUCTION
The U.S. Army forts recorded daily weather
observations starting in the early 1800s. Many of these
records continue into the mid-1800s. In the mid- to late
1800s, other volunteer observer networks were
managed by the Smithsonian Institution and the U.S.
Department of Agriculture. These station networks
eventually evolved into the Weather Bureau's
Cooperative Observer Network. The National Climatic
Data Center (NCDC) holds these 1800s records on
microfilm. As part of NCDC's Climate Data
Modernization Project, these records have been
scanned and indexed, and will be made available online
to the research community.
Many of the daily records from these 1800s stations are
being digitized. Approximately 160 priority stations
(about 3 per state) have been selected for digitization,
with more stations to be digitized as funding permits.
Most of the data types recorded by the observers are
being digitized. When completed, this digitized data set
will allow for extension of the analysis of daily climate
variables back into the 1800s and will provide a link
between the more recent instrument records and
paleoclimate records. Additional data sources are being
located and added to this data periodically.
2. DAILY OBSERVATIONS
Significant changes in instrumentation and observation
practices occurred during the period covered by this
data set. At the beginning of instrument observations,
the temperature and other data types were observed
several times a day, typically three, and occasionally up
to six times a day at specified times ("at-hour"
observations). Weather observations at these stations
typically included precipitation, temperature, cloud cover
and movement, wind direction and movement,
barometric pressure, and dry- and wet-bulb
temperatures, from which relative humidity was
calculated. River gauge heights and surface water

Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
See: Instrumental temperature record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Maybe someone with a good background in statistics could answer my question: Condidering how long the earth has been around, is approximately 100 years of data statistically significant?
The temperature data from those records are direct measurements. Scientists can measure temperatures indirectly from tree rings, ice, even ancient pollen; thereby, creating a record that goes back tens of thousands of years. I don't know if that creates a statistically significant sample. I guess it rests on what periods of time you want to analyze.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
There is an amazing device called a thermometer developed since 1617 by Giuseppe Biancani.

Later it was accurately measured out in a calibrated way by Anders Celsius in 1742.

They are amazing devices though, hard to understand how people ever would have thought of them.

Thermometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
The temperature data from those records are direct measurements. Scientists can measure temperatures indirectly from tree rings, ice, even ancient pollen; thereby, creating a record that goes back tens of thousands of years. I don't know if that creates a statistically significant sample. I guess it rests on what periods of time you want to analyze.
Can anyone know how accurate the indirect measurements from pollen, etc are? I know we can follow trends like where the glaciers retreated to at a certain time period, but can we look accurately at such precise measurements as temperature from indirect measurements?

I just find it interesting all of the arguing over the temperature readings within the past 100 years, which really amounts to such a small sample considering the history of this planet that it could be meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies