Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

Just tell him to look at this forum. There's tons of arguments about government versus personal freedoms posted here every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Hi all, my son is doing a essay in Composition class and he is stuck and needs some ideas on the topic.

The topic is " How government should balance law order with individual freedoms"

He has to write a 500 word Persuasive paper. SO if anyone has any ideas to get him going that he can research I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks
I would strongly suggest Prohibition. Research the subject. How a small group of religious people, demonized alcohol to the point where others felt guilty enough to pass a constitutional ammendment to outlaw a drug that was in wide use. Research the ill effects of that movement, the growing crime syndicate that emerged, the bath tub gin makers, and the fact that the federal government was in large part ill equipped to enforce such laws in the first place. And then the eventual revocation of the ammendment.

Thats the best example of social engineering gone wrong I can think of.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I would strongly suggest Prohibition. Research the subject. How a small group of religious people, demonized alcohol to the point where others felt guilty enough to pass a constitutional ammendment to outlaw a drug that was in wide use. Research the ill effects of that movement, the growing crime syndicate that emerged, the bath tub gin makers, and the fact that the federal government was in large part ill equipped to enforce such laws in the first place. And then the eventual revocation of the ammendment.

Thats the best example of social engineering gone wrong I can think of.
Then have him study how the jury system cause the repeal of the prohibition by simply acquitting most defendants.

Fully Informed Jury Association » News

Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Son needs to do his own homework.
Agreed. I did mine. I didn't do my kids'. I'm not doing anyone else's.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM

952 posts, read 942,878 times
Quote:
Hi all, my son is doing a essay in Composition class and he is stuck and needs some ideas on the topic.

The topic is " How government should balance law order with individual freedoms"

He has to write a 500 word Persuasive paper. SO if anyone has any ideas to get him going that he can research I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks

In reality, we are guaranteed ZERO rights. We keep (and deserve) only those we monitor, protect, defend and are willing to fight for.

The routine election and retention of venal, imperious leaders and officials at every level of Government; who routinely betray their Oaths, undermine our Constitution, and ignore the will of the people, bodes ill for the Liberty of the populace.

Quite possibly, because of complacency and foolish presumption of 'inalienable Rights', we may come to understand too late------few things are absolute or guaranteed.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:21 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Son needs to do his own homework.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:38 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Ask for help on this forum you're bound to get a bad grade.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
For those of you telling my son to do his own homework, well, is he asking you to write his essay, no he is not. He is looking for ideas on topics, being 16 he is not as experienced with the situations of today. He was told to get ideas and do the research,there are so many topics he wanted to know some that were more prevalent concerns of today. Don't want to give ideas fine. Heaven forbid a child needed some help with their homework.

Thanks all that gave some ideas. He has a lot of research to do. I am sure he will learn quite a bit from this.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
For those of you telling my son to do his own homework, well, is he asking you to write his essay, no he is not. He is looking for ideas on topics, being 16 he is not as experienced with the situations of today. He was told to get ideas and do the research,there are so many topics he wanted to know some that were more prevalent concerns of today. Don't want to give ideas fine. Heaven forbid a child needed some help with their homework.

Thanks all that gave some ideas. He has a lot of research to do. I am sure he will learn quite a bit from this.
Having had two kids go through high school, it was my experience that the teachers never asked more of the kids than what they should be able to do using their own resources.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
edit post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies