Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:24 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Oh DONT EVEN get me started on that. I wish people would read a $#!#! -@!@#!# history book in-depth before they start giving off crap like what you just posted.

Treason my magnolia-sniffing butt. Read the 10th amendment before you go calling my family 'traitors'.
If nothing else you should have respect for the dead.

Here. Have fun. Yes, I know its a Wiki link, but if you want better you'll have to wait till later. Im going to bed.

Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I Majored in History so I have read a History book or two, or a hundred.....

Your ancestors chose to leave the United States and form their own country. Its treason. We should not be celebrating those who chose to leave the United States....

Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Sorry I don't believe in celebrating those who committed treason....
The only ones who were committing treason were the elected officials. As per norm, the elected ones are the folks who start the wars and then order young men and boys to their deaths.

Might see less fighting if those who decide to go to war were the first ones to enter the battlefield.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
If I was black, I would do something like that! I am a right wing registered Republican. But I won't get on board with the Confederate thing. It the individual that's important, not the "nation" or "the race". I guess I go against the far right and the left on this.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
The only ones who were committing treason were the elected officials. As per norm, the elected ones are the folks who start the wars and then order young men and boys to their deaths.

Might see less fighting if those who decide to go to war were the first ones to enter the battlefield.
They chose to leave the U.S before Lincoln even inacted anything.....

Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM

900 posts, read 673,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Hey, those are my ancestors you're calling disgusting, Pal.

The only thing disgusting is your close-minded attitude toward those who died for something they believed in at the time.

If your ancestors fought against the United States of America, then they are no better than Americans who run off to join the Taleban. I don't approve of any monuments to them, either.

PS The American Taleban fighters also believe in what they're doing.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
If your ancestors fought against the United States of America, then they are no better than Americans who run off to join the Taleban. I don't approve of any monuments to them, either.

PS The American Taleban fighters also believe in what they're doing.
That's unfair.

The United States of America in 1860 was not the cohesive collection of states that we are in 2009. It was a new country, a collection of independent political units that had formed an alliance for political and economic reasons. There was nothing in the Constitution that said the states could not revoke the alliance.

And to argue that the South should have let the South decide is nonsensical. Lincoln was well aware that he could not let secession go to Supreme Court, Chief Justice Taney was already on record that secession was not Un-Constitutional. Lincoln had a very strong interest in being deliberately provocative.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Too bad they didn't blow it up. A monument to enemies of the United States. Disgusting.

I'm sure the Klan will be there to clean it up in the morning.
And I'm sure the Brits might say the same thing about our Revolution's fighters. Our country was created by secessionists. You might look a bit deeper into Lincoln to see he was no hero. Please read the Tenth Amendment as well.

So you advocate an act of terrorism (blowing up a monument) because you dislike a bit of history? Maybe I should forward your post to those feds you love so dearly, they might be interested?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I Majored in History so I have read a History book or two, or a hundred.....

Your ancestors chose to leave the United States and form their own country. Its treason. We should not be celebrating those who chose to leave the United States....
Nope, and no Confederate was ever tried for treason precisely because the Feds would have lost and been humiliated worldwide.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Nope, and no Confederate was ever tried for treason precisely because the Feds would have lost and been humiliated worldwide.
That doesn't mean they didn't commit treason against the United States.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 PM

900 posts, read 673,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And I'm sure the Brits might say the same thing about our Revolution's fighters. Our country was created by secessionists. You might look a bit deeper into Lincoln to see he was no hero. Please read the Tenth Amendment as well.

So you advocate an act of terrorism (blowing up a monument) because you dislike a bit of history? Maybe I should forward your post to those feds you love so dearly, they might be interested?

No, I just don't believe traitors and people who spent 4 years trying to kill american soldiers should be honored with monuments. You do. That's the difference between us - probably only one of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies