Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The heck it does. It belongs to the citizens of this country. They work for us. Senators didnt pay for that building to be built. The citizens of this country did. We own the deed to that land and building. They just use it to work for us
You (and I suppose assorted others) have a very vivid imagination. No Senator works for you. Two represent you. You may vote for or against them should they choose to stand for re-election. You may send them your ideas and opinions. You may hire a lobbyist to go pester the crap out of their staffers. That's all. You own nothing. You direct nothing. You control nothing. The Senate in particular was designed by the founding fathers to be a deliberative body walled off and insulated from the vagaries of popular passion. It's been that way for better than two centuries. Get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What do you mean "we" have the Capitol Police programmed. Use of "deadly force" authorized? By whom? You and your pals at "Think Progress"?
No, not me or Think Progress. It was Van Jones and Anita Dunn. You guys ticked them off, so now look what you get...shot! As was the case this past summer...

Man Fatally Shot by U.S. Capitol Police

Quote:
He didn't say anywhere in his post anything about "owning the Senate"...
Here is the entire post. The reference to owning the Senate may be more difficult for some to discern than others, but I maintain that it is indeed there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
That is their right and they do own the senate whats the problem
Were you able to find it this time?

Quote:
I read the Constitution. Have you?
Yeah, in depth and in concert with a lot of papers related to it and jurisprudence derived from it. You read it the way a child reads a bedtime story.

Quote:
What has been exposed, the things they are doing, destroying our capitalist system, has riled the citizens of this country. They are reacting. And Congress had better wise up and start listening to us before they incite a full scale revolt, which will happen if they pass this so-called "health care" bill.
Ah, the full-scale revolt. I can't wait. The spectacle of General Beck astride a white charger, exhorting his brave armies ever onward in their seige of the nation's capital. I predict you all get bogged down trying to negotiate the redesigned Springfield interchange. Commerce Street? How did we get here? That's not on any of our maps. We better take Metro...

Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You (and I suppose assorted others) have a very vivid imagination. No Senator works for you. Two represent you. You may vote for or against them should they choose to stand for re-election. You may send them your ideas and opinions. You may hire a lobbyist to go pester the crap out of their staffers. That's all. You own nothing. You direct nothing. You control nothing. The Senate in particular was designed by the founding fathers to be a deliberative body walled off and insulated from the vagaries of popular passion. It's been that way for better than two centuries. Get used to it.
So government workers are not paid for by our tax dollars?

Typical logic from government workers, you not the boss of me. It must be nice for government workers to be feeding from the government trough while the rest of us earn an honest living.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:13 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I think it is more that we demand free choice, something the left loons don't see as a valuable.

It is the lefty, looney sheep, the ones that think government is the need to all life's problems that are misguided.

Just as Reagan pointed out the obvious,

“Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.â€

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuiI2PbSWQ
I couldn't resist Did Reagan "forget" he WAS the government.

He did not shrink the size of government while he was President - it increased. He sent the deficit skyrocketing.
Unemployment was as high in his third year of his Presidency as it is in Obama's first year.

His Administration traded arms, money, and drugs between Iran and Nicaraguan rebels and helped Saddam Hussein develop chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons program. His Administration supported - guess who - Bin Laden.

Last but not least, the Savings and Loan Crisis of 1985-86 cost the American taxpayers 125 Billion Dollars.

Memories of Reagan - The good old days - not that good when you look back. I still remember the Interest Rate on my very first home back then - 14 percent - ouch.

But we had great music, big hair, and a whole lot of fun

Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^^Not to mention, he was advocating for the repeal of the amendment that term limits the president. He wanted to continue to . . . . govern!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
"Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.â€
Government doesn't work. Elect us and we'll prove it!
-- The Republicans

Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^^Not to mention, he was advocating for the repeal of the amendment that term limits the president. He wanted to continue to . . . . govern!
Correction - THEY wanted to continue to govern. He was just a figure piece by then (or always was)

Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBusta View Post
Wait, you're the one who connected the teabaggers with homosexual acts. All I said was that the Senate better be wide awake and not passed out when the teabaggers show up! They are a force to be reckoned with for certain.

All kidding aside: all this amounts to is Fox news getting the stupid people in this country agitated. It makes for great entertainment, though!
No, it's you that continues to use that vulgar term that is is connected with a homosexual act, knowing full well exactly what it means.

There's no kidding - Fox news is getting fed up people in this country engaged. It makes for a great nation.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Who ownes FreedomWorks? Who is funding these hapless morons? I think we should know.
Funny. Hapless morons. Wearing weird winter headgear. Armed with cheap thermos jugs reeking of plastic fumes. Carrying signs, and tiny babies bundled up in pink polyester....shouting slogans...sipping coffee...snarfing down day glow donuts.....

Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Riff-raff are riff-raff. Whether they are speaking or not is immaterial. Whether they pay their taxes or not (and amongst this particular bunch, that's an open question) is immaterial.

That would be you. The Capitol Police are a little tired of being shot. The people who employ them aren't happy with that either. You walk onto the Capitol grounds anywhere and pull some stuff, expect to be on life-support within 30 minutes. Make sure you're carrying phone numbers for your next of kin.
So who decides what constitutes riff-raff? You, based on the fact they disagree with you? And I'm not sure what the taxes comment refers to. The only ones that have an open question about paying taxes seem to be Obama appointees.

Did I miss something? The Capitol Police are being shot at frequently? And this "stuff" that might be pulled? You think it's just protesting and free speech, I'm sure. That truly is frightening, and a very telling window to your thought process.

I'm noting all this hatred and intolerance, so I can repeat it in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies