Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Perhaps we should then say, "Merry Capitalism!"
Nothing about capitalism is merry....unless you're in the top 10%.

In any case, it would seem appropriate to say, "Happy Capitalism" or say... "Happy Consumerism!"

"Is there anything else we can sell you to try to help you fill a void in your life?"

"Is there another toy you'd like to buy your child to buy their affections?"

Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I propose that christians wear uniforms during this season so that no one would mistakenly wish them well with the wrong WORDS and subsequently destroy their faith with WORDS.

What exactly IS it that you aren't getting?

It's NOT about words that others say or do not say to a Christian around Christmas.

It's not about words destroying someones faith - nice red herring - it's about keeping people, the vocal minority, who feel the way you do (in your posts, at least) from finding some jacked-up way of forbidding those who want to be able to feel free to express their right to say what they want to, when the want to and how they want to when it comes to MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Why so many zero-tolerance Santaphobes and Christ-Child haters?

"Merry Christmas" is such a small issue when there are bigger issues that pertain to the "war" on Christianity such as how kids of "other faiths" can wear their head gear to public school...but Christian kids/teachers aren't allowed to wear a cross on a chain around their neck to the same school? How does that work?

The PC changes so far:
A Christmas tree is a "holiday tree", a Christmas Party is a "holiday party", Baby Jesus is a "religious infant", Christmas break is "Winter break", nativity scenes and Christmas music have been banned from every public school I know of. But Kwanzaa (I'm sorry, what's made up?)and Diwali and Chanunkkah are not. At least not in the sense where public schools don't look for parents of children who celebrate the above mentioned to come in and speak to classes about the reasons for the celebrations (this occurred in an elementary school in my town)....but left out Christmas.

I find it amusing that so many who are more likely than not very intolerant of profiling minority groups, have nooooo problem whatsoever profiling Christians. At all.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
MERRY CHRISTMAS..... to all on CD..... If anyone doesn't like that then...... Move to Iran.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
MERRY CHRISTMAS..... to all on CD..... If anyone doesn't like that then...... Move to Iran.
What if we don't celebrate Christmas?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
What exactly IS it that you aren't getting?

It's NOT about words that others say or do not say to a Christian around Christmas.

It's not about words destroying someones faith - nice red herring - it's about keeping people, the vocal minority, who feel the way you do (in your posts, at least) from finding some jacked-up way of forbidding those who want to be able to feel free to express their right to say what they want to, when the want to and how they want to when it comes to MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
If you read the title of this thread, it states, "It is MERRY CHRISTMAS...NOT Happy Holidays."

Judging from this title, those of us who prefer Happy Holidays are supposed to "get it right" by saying, "Merry Christmas" instead. Seems like the Christians are forbidding us from saying, "Happy Holidays."

Old 12-14-2009, 08:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
My results:

The Christmas Gullibility Test Results

Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas! Santa will make a note that you were very good this year, because all your answers were correct.
I got 10 of 12 correct.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Always glad to feel the love that Christians show!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't think some of you realize that some Christians have had their freedom of speech taken away by employers that are concerned about offending their customers. That can really bother some who would like to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays." The whole thing boils down to everybody but Christians matter. Christians have no more freedom of religion and speech and I agree with you that it should not offend anyone for someone to say "Merry Christmas" to them.

When I was faced with wondering if I should keep working at a place that censored the Bible, I went and talked to my pastor about it. He told me that "God is Love" and love is something that can be shown without words. So I spent the rest of my employment at that government job realizing that how I treated people really mattered. I could not tell them about God but I could show God's love to them.

You would not believe how many times I had people comment on the atmosphere in my library. They told me it was different and more friendly than any other library they had ever been to. I couldn't tell them why, it wasn't allowed; but I knew.

We spent the past week in a timeshare in Florida and that same Spirit of hospitality was there in that place. The workers were not just doing their jobs. They were on a mission of helping people enjoy their vacations. It is very evident when the Holy Spirit and love of Jesus is alive and working in a place. God is Love and it can be felt.

In a country where there is supposed to be freedom of speech and freedom of religion, it is just so sad that Christians have to go around whispering to each other and not be allowed to enjoy that freedom of religion and speech as others in the country do. And Christianity is being censored in America. That is wrong and should stop, but I don't think it will. I think it will come to the place in this country where people will be killed for not denying Christ.
the problem is SOME Christians seem to think that their religion should be allowed where ever and whenever they see fit. What kind of reaction would there be if someone wanted a Muslim symbol in front of the county courthouse, or a banner reading "happy ramadan" at their school? It only seems like Christians are being "censored" because they are the only ones who feel entitled enough to ask.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Call it what you want. It's still the truth about spending for CHRISTMAS.
I suggest you read up on history.

Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gift giving and celebrations escalated in England in the 1700s but then Puritans went and had to rain on their parade. Once the English had enough of their crap they sent them to the colonies (US) and we kept the rain and left the parade in England. Gift giving and buying LOADS of stuff for others did not become en vogue in the USA until the 1920s, when marketing stole Christmas and consumerism began to permeate society until the Great Depression. After WWII, the consumerism stayed.

In many many other nations, Christians only exchange a couple gifts. It's only in America do we insist in spending 1/4 of our disposable income in one week. What rubbish.

And, happy holidays to all on CD. Including non-Christians and nonreligous people, I extend the warm wishes and thoughts that come with a traditional Christmas greeting.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Oh my friend, take it from a retired teacher who has a daughter and a daughter in law, a niece and a nephew who are all teachers......teachers work many, many hours when the children are not present....especially the good teachers. Not to mention spending a lot of their own money for supplies that the school budget cut.
very true, but they do have the same 2 weeks off as the kids. They don't HAVE to work during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies