Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just heard Sen Durbin of Ill say on the radio that he and other "liberal" senators were glad that males and females of the same ages would pay the same premiums for coverage under the proposed health care reform. since women obviously have an elective cost called pregancy and birth delivery, is it fair to "pass on" those costs to males' premiums?
Why should medical insurance pay for child birth and pregnancy? I thought the purpose of "insurance" was to pay for UNEXPECTED events. My homeowners insurance does not pay for me to repaint and maintain my house. Couples that want a baby should pay for the baby themselves. If they don't have the money to pay for the baby to come into the world, they certainly do not have the money to properly raise a baby do they? And if they cannot afford it, get an abortion and get rid of it. Or do like they did in the old west and have it at home in your own bed. Babies have been born long before there was hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Quote:
I just heard Sen Durbin of Ill say on the radio that he and other "liberal" senators were glad that males and females of the same ages would pay the same premiums for coverage under the proposed health care reform. since women obviously have an elective cost called pregancy and birth delivery, is it fair to "pass on" those costs to males' premiums?
Sounds like Senator Durbin is guilty of age discrimination. It appears he has no problem with older folks paying more for insurance than younger people. Why shouldn't life insurance premimums be the same for a 20 year old as a 70 year old? Is one OK (age discrimination) but not the other (gender discrimination)? Please explain your position.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yes. Without your mother going through the elective process YOU (and other "men") would not be here.

It is not the fault of the woman that she has to go through that HORRIBLE process of pregnancy just to bring more ungrateful men out here who do not want to pay a little more.

Pathetic. Speaks volumes.
The MAN who caused the pregnancy ought to be the one that pays for it. I didn't get any of the "fun" so why should I pay for somebody else's baby? Just asking....

Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Why should medical insurance pay for child birth and pregnancy? I thought the purpose of "insurance" was to pay for UNEXPECTED events. My homeowners insurance does not pay for me to repaint and maintain my house. Couples that want a baby should pay for the baby themselves. If they don't have the money to pay for the baby to come into the world, they certainly do not have the money to properly raise a baby do they? And if they cannot afford it, get an abortion and get rid of it. Or do like they did in the old west and have it at home in your own bed. Babies have been born long before there was hospitals.
Oooooo, you just may get slammed for this post, be prepared. I understand where you're coming from though, however in the case of pregnancy there can be complications so perhaps in the way you're talking about unexpected events, that is why it's valid? I have no idea, that's just my thoughts on it.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:24 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
I never paid much attention to the health costs of women being higher than that of men. When we started our family, my wife was covered under my health insurance plan - you know, the "self and family" category. And our son's birth didn't cause our premiums to go up. Come to think of it, neither did our daughter's.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I never paid much attention to the health costs of women being higher than that of men. When we started our family, my wife was covered under my health insurance plan - you know, the "self and family" category. And our son's birth didn't cause our premiums to go up. Come to think of it, neither did our daughter's.
It's true, women need to go to the doctor much more often than men. All sorts of problems can arise which is why there is a need for yearly pap smears & breast exams.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:33 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Sounds like Senator Durbin is guilty of age discrimination. It appears he has no problem with older folks paying more for insurance than younger people. Why shouldn't life insurance premimums be the same for a 20 year old as a 70 year old? Is one OK (age discrimination) but not the other (gender discrimination)? Please explain your position.

actuarily speaking, it is far more likely that older ppl will use the health benefits than the younger popul. i don't have a problem with that at all, because it is based on historically factual numbers and statistics. I do have a problem with paying for other ppls' ELECTIVE pregancies. Here in Texas, there are NO individual/family (NOT employer group) policies. If there are any they have VERY high deductibles of $5000 or $10000, except in pregnancies with complications. This is the way that it should be done in my opinion. Insurance cos had to do this b/c of the adverse selection that occurs when married couples are planning to buy insurance so that junior can be covered, to the detriment of the insurance cos' profit and everybody other customer's increased premiums. Insurance IS for unplanned events, not planned ones.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, why do you think men & women aren't equal?
It was a line from a South Park episode I saw the other day.

While I certainly feel that both men and women deserve equal quality care, one would be a fool to think they should get equal care. Can you imagine the lawsuit if a doctor "checked a woman's prostate?" There are, of course, many different treatments and tests that are gender specific, if the numbers worked out to show that one sex is consistently more expensive, I see no problem in a difference in rates.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:20 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Insurance IS for unplanned events, not planned ones.
The purpose of health insurance is to help cover the cost of medical care.

If health insurance was intended only for unplanned events, no routine medical care like annual check-ups and other planned preventive care would be covered.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
It was a line from a South Park episode I saw the other day.

While I certainly feel that both men and women deserve equal quality care, one would be a fool to think they should get equal care. Can you imagine the lawsuit if a doctor "checked a woman's prostate?" There are, of course, many different treatments and tests that are gender specific, if the numbers worked out to show that one sex is consistently more expensive, I see no problem in a difference in rates.
Ah, lol, sorry I haven't watched South Park in awhile. Obviously we're not talking equal care in the sense of the same type of exams, that would be silly! But, what do you think of viagara being covered under most insurance plans & not birth control? Surely that seems unequal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies